• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

Homecoming has landed an 'A' CinemaScore (topping Spider-Man 2's 'A-'). So word-of-mouth marketing could bring this in on the high side of the $120-$125MM estimate.

Box Office: 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Swings to $50.5M Friday for $120M-Plus Launch

On Friday, Sony and Marvel Studios' critically acclaimed Spider-Man: Homecoming swung to a heroic $50.5 million from 4,341 theaters for a projected $120 million-$125 million weekend. If that estimate holds, the $175 million tentpole will pass up Wonder Woman ($103.3 million) to snag the third-best North American opening of the year to date behind Beauty and the Beast ($174.8 million) and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($146.5 million). Friday's haul included $15.4 million in Thursday previews.

Nabbing an A CinemaScore from audiences, the best grade of the franchise, Homecoming also boasts a 94 percent certified fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Sony aggressively went after younger moviegoers, and it paid off: Half of ticket buyers on Friday were 25 and younger, a strong showing. Males made up roughly 61 percent of the audience.

Homecoming is opening ahead of The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) — adjusted for inflation or not — but won't match the first three pics when adjusting numbers for inflation.

17 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

Saw it and I honestly think that they would be hard pressed to do a  better job with this movie, was great. Any complaints were minor. Like, Marvel's attempt to recast [at every single opportunity] traditional characters with minorities. At the end of the day I don't care and for the most part the characters are great but they seem to go out of their way to do this for whatever reason. The Stan Lee clip was brilliant. 

Felt the same way thought it was really good. Saw it with some coworkers and will be taking the family to see it this weekend. I'm fine with the diversity changes I'm sure that's what it looks like in NY but didn't like them having Zendaya be MJ thought her character was great the way it was. Also didn't care for her comment at the Washington Monument, I'm here to watch a comicbook movie not to hear what I hear everyday about how bad America is.  2c

3 hours ago, piper said:

I thought it more closely represented who might live in Queens in this day and age?

Which is more than likely, but I was mostly pointing out that all of his friends and club participants were all minorities.

If this is a reflection of the real populous then caucasians would take up only 15%.

12 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

I think I'm in the minority here. But I was pretty disappointed.

Great cast. Weak story. Not much emotion or drama. Too much Iron Man gadgetry.

I can't think of one really standout moment.

Barton I agree with the comment about the gadgetry but I think it builds into Peter's decision to not join the Avengers. Plus we have two competing producers (Sony/Disney) so I think Marvel made sure that they propped up the Iron Man/Avengers theme as much as they could in a subtle way throughout the movie. 

Although in the early Spidey issues Parker was always tinkering with technology, web fluid, etc so it wasn't totally out of line. 

quick question-at the beginning the avengers bldg is trashed and there are alien craft lying around I'm trying to figure out what movie that happened in it cant be the original avengers movie because the timeline is wrong pls help.

16 minutes ago, kav said:

quick question-at the beginning the avengers bldg is trashed and there are alien craft lying around I'm trying to figure out what movie that happened in it cant be the original avengers movie because the timeline is wrong pls help.

it's the first Avengers movie then it jumps 8 years and some months later, the movie officially picks up 2 months after Civil War.

2 hours ago, Wally's Comics said:

Which is more than likely, but I was mostly pointing out that all of his friends and club participants were all minorities.

If this is a reflection of the real populous then caucasians would take up only 15%.

According to wikipedia, 2012 census estimates indicate the white population of Queens is only 27%. So this is not far from the mark.

if you're just looking at the debate club, the teacher is also white. Which brings the representation % to right about where it should be for the population of Queens. 

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

According to wikipedia, 2012 census estimates indicate the white population of Queens is only 27%. So this is not far from the mark.

if you're just looking at the debate club, the teacher is also white. Which brings the representation % to right about where it should be for the population of Queens. 

And as everybody knows, that's the best way to cast a movie.

Ill give the flick an 8/10. Wanted to give it a higher score...but I did find myself bored a tid bit too much of the time. Could've been cut in some spots I think. Other than that...not much to complain about. Tom gave a great performance and he embodies the character perfectly, especially for the younger generation. 

Big fan of Keaton so it's fun to see him in the MCU. He wasn't gonna get it wrong.

The gadgets didn't bother me, they gotta mix things up a bit. Some of the humor was a bit too young for my taste but I chuckled a few times. 

I remember seeing Spider-Man with Tobey many years ago and as I ran home from the theater I felt like a super hero. This flick didn't make me feel that way...but I'm also not 12 years old anymore so what do I expect. The Tobey Spider-Man flicks (with the exception of 3) still remain my favorite interpretations of the character, but overall I was pleased with Homecoming and I'm sure it will inspire the young ones (hopefully) to look more into comics. 

Saw it last night. Im a little torn. I enjoyed the humor, while I thought the action was a bit on the weak side, and there should have been more. The Washington Monument scene was the superhero equivalent of a fireman rescuing a cat out of a tree. It was cliche, and the final battle scene was pretty anti climatic. It could have been much better. The boat scene was great though! Michael Keaton was fantastic, but I felt like his screen time and character development got short changed. It was a bit of a missed opportunity. 7.5/10 for me.

Edited by Darkowl

I am sure I will enjoy this film that I haven't see yet.  My problem is I am usually dying to see any Spider-man film since growing up Batman & Spider-Man were my favorite superheros because they have the best rogue gallery.  However, I must admit I am not really excited to see this movie.  As a kid growing up in the late 90's my Spider-man was a serious art rendered 30+ something year old Spider-man by the best artist in my opinion to ever draw in comics Todd "your  garbage art blows compared to him" McFarlane.

amazing-spider-man-316-cover-121152.jpg

I am that early born millennial who is caught in between 60/70's Spider-man (Tobey Maguire) and the Ultimate Spider-man (Tom Holland) which this movie audience is clearly geared towards.  I get it, Spider-man was truly supposed to be in the beginning a superhero with acne. haha

AF 15's are just becoming more and more important/expensive because of this movie so again I am happy most people enjoyed it.  I just know my personality and the kiddie stuff in this movie will annoy me.  That is one of the big reasons I am excited for the R-rated Venom movie.  I feel finally I get to at least to see one of my favorite villians of all time in a serious/mature manner and played by one of my favorite actors Tom Hardy.  Comic books to me have always been very serious because the first comics I  read.....Spider-man: (1990) Torment, Batman: The Killing Joke, and Batman: Death in the Family were so serious and adult in nature as I kid that is why I started to love comics books.  Slapstick stuff bores me to death.

Seeing McFarlane art when I was little was my first experience reading Spider-man. I just cant go back to anything else other than an adult Peter Parker.

7b07771f557a3e6af247eef3ce5067f0.jpg

Again I am sure I will enjoy Spider-Man: Homecoming, but I feel the Tom Hardy VENOM movie is more in line with my Spider-man universe expectations.

Sorry for the non-review of this movie and reading my thoughts....

Edited by NewWorldOrder

I just saw the film tonight.  I really enjoyed it. 8/10

Minor Spoilers below...

While I enjoyed it, I was kind of hoping for that same feeling as when the first Spidey film hit the big screen but it fell a little bit short but that might have been an unfair expectation at this point.

Tom Holland IS both a young Peter Parker AND Spider-Man. I think he did a great job with the role.

At first I was apprehensive about having the Vulture as the main villain but this take on the Vulture, with Keaton, was, awesome. I'm also glad they bucked the trend of "killing off"the villain.  

I felt Harry was a good character and Zendaya role was underused but clearly more of "set up".  I did not mind the switching of supporting characters (Harry, Ned, etc) or their 'backgrounds', etc, but the one that made little sense to me was renaming "Michelle" or "MJ" to her friends...Why not just keep her name "Mary Jane"? Just seemed kind of unnecessary.  I actually think going with a younger Aunt May is a nice twist and the ending was fun one.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is also pretty cohesive. I like it.  It makes me long for the days of "continuity" in comics lol

As others have said, there were some "clunky" bits (I think they focused a bit too much on the tech at times) but overall, it was a fun film and was a very good "reboot" for Spidey. While I primarily grew up with the "older Spidey" (started collecting around #290), I am glad they went with a younger vibe.  The MCU was looking a bit "old". 

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Saw it last night. Somewhat enjoyable and I wasn't disappointed as I thought the trailers didn't promise much. 6.5 for me.  Starting to feel like I am watching the same movie over and over again from marvel. Spider-man was another missed opportunity to shatter the formula like iron man 1 did and do a different kind of hero movie. 

the good: Tom Holland is a good fit for spier-man so they got the most important part right

the bad: Spidey's suit unlocked with the computer voice made me feel like I am watching an iron man movie not a spider movie, hope that goes away.  Spidey doesn't need that, and he doesn't need a mentor either, the early years of spidey learning to use his wits and powers on his own are too important to the character imo.

the ugly: Who ever thought spidey would be playing second fiddle to Iron Man? I actually love iron man so this works for me but this really feels like iron mans universe doesn't it? Who woulda thunk it could happen?

Edited by mar-vell

‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Delivers Franchise’s Biggest Promotional Campaign At $140M+

audi-spidey.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming has racked up more than $140 million in media value in a global promotional campaign that spans 30 brands. That’s the most lucrative ever for a Spider-Man title and on par dollar-wise with the global pushes of Sony’s 007 movies Skyfall and Spectre.

In addition, the value of Homecoming‘s campaign outstrips that of Marvel’s previous summer release Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, which analysts valued around $80M. Throughout the film’s PR and marketing drumming, Spider-Man star Tom Holland has been the face for the film, front and center, with director Jon Watts even helming a Dell ad spot and an ESPN NBA Finals custom ad.

“Teaming with these incredible worldwide partners, it signals to the world that Spider-Man: Homecoming is more than a movie: it’s a global cultural event,” said Josh Greenstein, Sony’s president of worldwide marketing and distribution.

“We have been evolving our promotional campaigns to go well beyond the 30-second spot,” added Sony’s partnerships group chief Jeffrey Godsick, who oversaw the campaign. “With longer form pieces of content, digital games and activations, and publicity stunts and events, the Spider-Man: Homecoming program best reflects this evolution.”

‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Still Swinging In As Sony’s Second Best Domestic Opening Ever With $116M-$118M

Sony hasn’t officially reported yet, so this is off early morning industry estimates. Spider-Man: Homecoming counted an estimated $37M last night, now putting it on track for a $116M-$118M opening, which would still rank as the second best for the franchise and the Culver City, CA lot after 2007’s Spider-Man 3 ($151.1M).

Compared to its $51M Friday which was padded by $15.4M Thursday previews, Homecoming‘s Saturday is -27%, but backing those previews out Saturday was actually +6%. By comparison, Wonder Woman was -8% on Saturday (and +29% in strict day-to-day comparisons) while The Dark Knight was -29% in its first first Friday to Saturday (and -2% in real comparative box office dollars). This is just the nature of these superhero movies when they open so big on Thursday and Friday: There’s a flood of fanboys. Rival analysts believe Homecoming will be the bearings of the July box office, easily surpassing $300M. Whatever the marketplace lacks in August without a Guardians of the Galaxy, Suicide Squad or definite tentpole, July will then prop for the summer off the combination of Homecoming, 20th Century Fox’s War for The Planet of the Apes, Warner Bros.’ Dunkirk and Focus Features’ Atomic Blonde. 

Social Media monitor Relish Mix relays that the Homecoming buzz continues to swell even after people leave the theater: “What’s uncanny on social with Homecoming is that most tentpoles peak by Friday night and taper-off, but this Marvel-Sony movie continues to build with YouTube views in the 120-140k range per day and now in the 160-190k range per day for the top 25 videos, owned and earned. The third trailer for Homecoming on the Marvel channel clocked 345K views yesterday and that’s organic and exceptional. Even Zendaya with 42.8M Instagram and Robert Downey Jr. with 15.8M IG, both popped by adding 21k new followers each.”