• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

Sony Unveils Spider-Man Legacy Collection 4K Blu-ray Box Set

Andrew-Garfield-Tom-Holland-and-Tobey-Ma

Sony has announced a new steelbook set of the first five Spider-Man movies, to be released in October alongside the Spider-Man: Homecoming home release. This latest reboot may keep Tom Holland gracing our screens as Peter Parker for some time, but that doesn’t mean Sony is done with their previous two incarnations of the wall-crawler. Before Holland took over as the first Spidey to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Sony created two other cinematic versions of the character, and both are being promoted alongside the home release of the Homecoming DVD/Blu-ray.

The announcement comes as Sony preps for the fall home release of their latest Spider-Smash-Hit, which brought in over $780 million worldwide in cinemas. The exact date of the release hasn’t been revealed yet, nor has the usual list of extras that fans can expect from the home version, but the studio has now announced that they’ll be releasing a Spider-Man box set at the same time.

With five movies and 12 discs in the set, the collection will likely spread each film over two discs, with the Spider-Man 3 Editor’s Cut on a separate disc and the remaining featurettes on the twelfth. This will be the first time that all five movies are brought together into a single edition, although previous box sets have been released of the Spider-Man trilogy and the Amazing Spider-Man movies. All five movies were also re-released in Blu-ray this year.

spider-man-legacy-4k-box-set.png?cs=tiny

I had never heard of a Spider-Man 3 Editor's Cut.

FORBES.COM: 'Spider-Man' Tops 'Iron Man,' 'Hitman's Bodyguard' Wins Weekend

The Hitman’s Bodyguard was the top movie of a very slow weekend. The picture earned $10.05 million (-53%) in its second weekend, giving the Ryan Reynolds/Samuel L. Jackson vehicle a solid $39.61m ten-day total. It’s another under-the-radar win for Lionsgate, which scored the summer’s biggest indie breakout with The Big Sick ($39m) earlier this summer.

Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming earned another $2.7 million (-35%) over the weekend for a $318.8M domestic total. So, 3D and inflation notwithstanding, Spider-Man: Homecoming has passed the domestic total of Iron Man ($318M in 2008). Oh, and it has earned at least $730M worldwide, so it’s got that going for it as it waits for China next month.

On 8/11/2017 at 2:05 AM, Marwood & I said:

Agree. We are expected to believe that Homecoming is set with Peter still at school and, therefore, both the origin event and Uncle Ben's death are in the very recent past. I don't recall any scene that even briefly revisited that pain, doubt and it's associated future motivation. Was there one and I missed it? If so, it couldn't have been that powerful or clear.  If not, that may explain why I found the whole thing so emotionally uninvolving.  

I know the back story as well as anyone. But in a 'fresh' portrayal, to not include some reference to the characters driving force makes the new actor's interpretation seem oddly trivial.

I may have to go and see the film again. I wanted so much to like it, and I hated it. I've seen things before that I hated on first showing and then grew to like. Whether Tobey or Garfield were well cast or not, I liked them and believed in them. I found Holland to be totally without depth.

Exactly! I get that they don't want to rehash the same old story, but if they are going to start with Peter Parker in high school, then they should stay with the correct origin, and what motivated him to do the things he did. I just felt like the movie seemed out of place,and the story line seemed choppy and not cohesive. We could have been without RDJ too.

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Exactly! I get that they don't want to rehash the same old story, but if they are going to start with Peter Parker in high school, then they should stay with the correct origin, and what motivated him to do the things he did. I just felt like the movie seemed out of place,and the story line seemed choppy and not cohesive. We could have been without RDJ too.

You are just mad over that this film didn't change it to he got his powers from a piece of radioactive oak bark when it pierced his skin. 

The film was fine and the reviews were great.

13 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am pretty sure it will do less than Spiderman: Homecoming and Thor Ragnorak domestically.

Even good reviews can't guarantee good domestic box office nowadays,as the latest War of Planet of the Apes movie is a prime example. a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes,but couldn't clear 145 domestically at the box office.

It was arrogant and presumptuous for the studio behind the Ape movie to release one week after Homecoming, and they paid the price in a big, big way.   Sure, it knocked Spidey off the #1 spot and caused it what looked like a superficially large second weekend drop off.

But did it really? 

Turns out all the Ape movie likely did was just backload Homecoming's domestic grosses.  It is likely going to end up domestically right around where it would be anyway had the Ape movie not shot itself in the head with that moronic opening date, meanwhile the Apes franchise is probably (rightfully) dead.  

As for those Forbes guys, yes they're total DC fanboys, and some of WW's biggest cheerleaders.   I too wonder if they will give Homecoming they same kind of breathless lip service should it come even within spitting distance of WW global take in the end.  

-J.

7 hours ago, DeadOne said:

I agree with this. 
They actually switched his motivation from the death of Uncle Ben to the disappointment of Tony Stark.  :screwy:

In case you missed It, there was a subtle reference to the Uncle Ben tragedy, where Peter was being consoled early on and was told something to the effect of "I know this must be hard, after all you've been through".  

Iron Man was just as much a surrogate father to PP as PP was a surrogate son to him (he even said as much himself when he "called" him to tell him he was proud of him, and mentioned that his dad never did that with him).  Again, the whole point of the giddiness generated by Spidey being in the MCU was so he could interact with MCU characters.  If someone still doesn't get that, or was even somehow bothered by that, then you clearly have missed the point.  

-J.

38 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
8 hours ago, DeadOne said:

I agree with this. 
They actually switched his motivation from the death of Uncle Ben to the disappointment of Tony Stark.  :screwy:

In case you missed It, there was a subtle reference to the Uncle Ben tragedy, where Peter was being consoled early on and was told something to the effect of "I know this must be hard, after all you've been through".  

Iron Man was just as much a surrogate father to PP as PP was a surrogate son to him (he even said as much himself when he "called" him to tell him he was proud of him, and mentioned that his dad never did that with him).  Again, the whole point of the giddiness generated by Spidey being in the MCU was so he could interact with MCU characters.  If someone still doesn't get that, or was even somehow bothered by that, then you clearly have missed the point.  

I wasn't inferring that Uncle Ben didn't exist or wasn't referenced, my inference was that there was to much Tony Stark and his influence in this movie. For me, it took away from Spider-Man. I cannot think of a thing in the movie that could not have been done without Tony Stark.

I'll watch it again though to see if there are other points I probably missed.

1 hour ago, DeadOne said:

I wasn't inferring that Uncle Ben didn't exist or wasn't referenced, my inference was that there was to much Tony Stark and his influence in this movie. For me, it took away from Spider-Man. I cannot think of a thing in the movie that could not have been done without Tony Stark.

I'll watch it again though to see if there are other points I probably missed.

The idea that every character in this universe has had to be reinvented in order to have some connection to Tony Stark is ridiculous 

The movie is entertaining. I'm not denying that.

however you cannot tell me this is a Spider-Man movie because it isn't. Yeah he shoots webs, swings around and can climb walls but it's not a Spider-Man movie.

rewatch Spider-Man 2 that's a Spider-Man movie. 

14 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

maybe the editor figured a way to cut out a villain or two.  or the "new" death of uncle ben, at least.

I would be fine with them editing out ASM2 completely.

5 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The idea that every character in this universe has had to be reinvented in order to have some connection to Tony Stark is ridiculous 

Sad to say this,but the Marvel Cinematic Universe is their most important universe now. Millions more people follow the Marvel movie universe than the old school Marvel comic universe 1961-1995.

They are more concerned about their mainstream movie universe audience now than the joe-six packs who read marvel comics loyally in the time period between 1960s to 1990s. :hi:

So I would expect more tinkering of stuff to appease the movie audience in the future that might upset long-time comic book fans. It is what it is.

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

As for those Forbes guys, yes they're total DC fanboys, and some of WW's biggest cheerleaders.   I too wonder if they will give Homecoming they same kind of breathless lip service should it come even within spitting distance of WW global take in the end.  

-J.

I think you are confusing appreciating an interpretation of a character with being an opposing company 'fanboy'. Scott Mendelson tore into both BvS and Suicide Squad repeatedly last year. Every article he wrote about the next round of money made by Suicide Squad, he made it a point to note "I didn't really like this movie."

I thought Homecoming was a good Spider-Man movie. But not surpassing Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 1. Those two are my ideal interpretation of Peter Parker and Spider-Man. And there are probably many others that feel this way. Though I liked seeing Peter participating in the wider MCU with Iron Man and Cap, along with finally seeing a new villain that was masterfully delivered. But I did feel the Uncle Ben details which heavily influences Peter's life seemed so lightly touched on, it became glaring to me. So they used RDJ to fill the void - glaringly.

Financially, this movie is going to be a huge win. It's Spider-Man. The most recognized superhero character across the world, in a good movie with a solid actor. Even ASM2 brought in large numbers with a poorly handled film. Sony just invested too much in one film, making it a financial break-even versus a success.

And in case someone thinks Sony didn't make some money from ASM2...

DEADLINE: Amazing Spider-Man 2 estimated balance sheet

Andrew Garfield inherited the Spidey suit from Tobey Maguire and Emma Stone took over female lead. Their first film had a worldwide gross of $757.9M, with $262M domestic and $495.9M foreign. Amazing Spider-Man 2‘s $708.98M worldwide fell short of that, and its $202.85M domestic was off and the $506M foreign was good but that enjoyed a boost from a burgeoning marketplace in China. The biggest problem, according to our data, is that the movie cost too darned much at $255M. That left Sony Pictures with a $70.38 million net, or a 1.12 cash-on-cash return, and 18th place in the 2014 rankings.

Compare that to a first-time origin story character (Ant-Man), and you see how far off Sony was with its investment in a A-level character sequel.

DEADLINE: Ant-Man estimated balance sheet

The picture opened with a $57M domestic weekend in the heat of July. It received good reviews, an 80% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and critics seemed to appreciate that it didn’t take itself too seriously. The end results speak for themselves: Ant-Man delivered a $103M net profit, and a Cash on Cash Return of 1.31.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I think you are confusing appreciating an interpretation of a character with being an opposing company 'fanboy'. Scott Mendelson tore into both BvS and Suicide Squad repeatedly last year. Every article he wrote about the next round of money made by Suicide Squad, he made it a point to note "I didn't really like this movie."

I thought Homecoming was a good Spider-Man movie. But not surpassing Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 1. Those two are my ideal interpretation of Peter Parker and Spider-Man. And there are probably many others that feel this way. Though I liked seeing Peter participating in the wider MCU with Iron Man and Cap, along with finally seeing a new villain that was masterfully delivered. But I did feel the Uncle Ben details which heavily influences Peter's life seemed so lightly touched on, it became glaring to me. So they used RDJ to fill the void - glaringly.

Financially, this movie is going to be a huge win. It's Spider-Man. The most recognized superhero character across the world, in a good movie with a solid actor. Even ASM2 brought in large numbers with a poorly handled film. Sony just invested too much in one film, making it a financial break-even versus a success.

I agree with all of your points and Spider-Man 2 is still my favourite one overall (though I actually like 3 more than 1, because, well, bad Venom is better than no Venom IMO). My statement about the Forbes guys was more based on the amount of DC coverage they seem to give as opposed to the literal content.  Even in cases where they have to admit they don't care for a DC movie, you have to admit you can almost taste their tears lolwhile you read the multiple articles they still manage to generate about movies they supposedly don't like.   Which is fine, everybody has their preferences.  

On a side note, Homecoming will pass Suicide Squad's domestic gross this week (if it hasn't already).  

-J

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

ASM1 was the best origin movie. I would then put in Homecoming as the follow up movie. Follow that up with Spider-Man2

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

you have to admit you can almost taste their tears lolwhile you read the multiple articles they still manage to generate about movies they supposedly don't like

lol

That is pretty funny.

3 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

ASM1 was the best origin movie. I would then put in Homecoming as the follow up movie. Follow that up with Spider-Man2

Those 3 Spider-Man movies were the best just like the first three Christopher Reeve Superman movies were the best Superman movies.