• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Studios' WOLVERINE 3 - LOGAN starring Hugh Jackman (2017)
8 8

1,131 posts in this topic

LOGAN Blu-Ray Release Date And Full List Of Special Features For Limited Edition Version Revealed

walmart_beauty_shot_copy_-_h_2017.jpg

It's been officially announced that James Mangold's Logan will be released on 4K, Ultra HD and Blu-ray on May 23, and THR has revealed a list of the special features that'll be available on the limited edition Walmart version of the film.

It sounds like this edition will be well worth seeking out, as it's going to include the black and white cut of the movie, as well as a nine-poster set commemorating Hugh Jackman's 17 years in the claws. The back of the posters combine to reveal some previously unseen key-art (see the video below).

Here's a breakdown of the 90 minutes of special features:

— Logan Noir: a black-and-white version of the film

— Audio commentary by director James Mangold.

— Deleted scenes with optional audio commentary by Mangold (Blu-ray only) — Making Logan — behind-the-scenes documentary (Blu-ray only)

177152_front.jpg

Hugh Jackman Reveals the Logan Scene That Made Him Cry

Speaking at a screening of Logan Noir in NYC, (via THR), Jackman revealed that when watching the film for the first time, during Logan's Berlin premiere, he and Patrick Stewart both wept at a very specific scene: the very final shot, when X-23/Laura and her fellow mutants have buried the fallen Wolverine. As the group of young mutants walks away, Laura stops and turns the cross marking Logan's on its side, creating the iconic "X" for the X-Men.

As Jackman recalls: "When I read it, I thought 'that's beautiful.' It seemed very poetic on the page. And when I saw it, I cried. I sat next to Patrick Stewart. We saw it for the first time, and both of us wept. There's something so patient and courageous in a filmmaker to allow everything to culminate in that one moment."

Finally watched it on VUDU, yesterday. Outstanding and innovative. Potential spoilers ahead.

I'm really trying hard not to taint myself with spoilers.. I don't know how anyone could avoid X-23 knowledge in advance. Even the trailer showed a brief clip of the feral young girl.

My wife said, "wolverine" and old "xavier" can't be in x-men anymore; they are finished. I said, well, it's in the future, so there's the in-between. Jackman has said he would appear in Avengers.

I also was confused, since I thought Wolverine killed the mutants (or thought he did), but in the movie it sounded like it was Xavier and he had the burden of guilt -- anyone get that?

Edited by bronze_rules

2 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

I also was confused, since I thought Wolverine killed the mutants (or thought he did), but in the movie it sounded like it was Xavier and he had the burden of guilt -- anyone get that?

The movie didn't elaborate, but in the comic Xavier did it, so it's safe to assume they were referring to Xavier killing a lot of the X-Men, probably during some early fit of his dementia setting in.

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The movie didn't elaborate, but in the comic Xavier did it, so it's safe to assume they were referring to Xavier killing a lot of the X-Men, probably during some early fit of his dementia setting in.

Cool. Thanks. I didn't follow much beyond uncanny x-men 150. Was that the fall of the mutants storyline? I need to go back and read that. Come to think of it, maybe I read it in Old Man Logan, where

he was tricked into believing he did it.

I'd have to go back and watch the scene, but there was a part where Xavier was remorsefully mumbling that, "I did it, I killed them..." or something, and I thought Logan said, I did it.

Edited by bronze_rules

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

In the comic Wolverine did it, confused my Mysterio.

Edited by Bird
wolverine 66-72 is the old man logan storyline

2 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Cool. Thanks. I didn't follow much beyond uncanny x-men 150. Was that the fall of the mutants storyline? I need to go back and read that.

The movie derives from the "Old Man Logan" limited series.  I don't think it's supposed to be a part of the main canon, but I'm not sure of that.

Old_Man_Logan_1_Deodato_Variant.jpg

Just now, fantastic_four said:

The movie derives from the "Old Man Logan" limited series.  I don't think it's supposed to be a part of the main canon, but I'm not sure of that.

Old_Man_Logan_1_Deodato_Variant.jpg

the original storyline is from wolverine 66-72, 5 years before this comic came out!

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

In the comic Wolverine did it, confused my Mysterio.

You're right, my bad.  The idea of Xavier killing them was an implied change by the film.

Just now, Bird said:

the original storyline is from wolverine 66-72, 5 years before this comic came out!

Didn't realize that.  Were those issues supposed to be an alternate reality?

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Didn't realize that.  Were those issues supposed to be an alternate reality?

I don't think so, just in the future. Lots of fun, Hulk children, a Venom dinosaur, just cray cray

17 minutes ago, Bird said:

I don't think so, just in the future. Lots of fun, Hulks' children, a Venom dinosaur, just cray cray

That would be more grammatically appropriate, I think, since it was the two "kissing cousins" involved. lol

Edited by kimik

Logan Director Shares His Idea For An X-23 Movie

wolverine-3-logan-x-23-laura-kinney--206

In an interview with ScreenRant, James Mangold was recently asked what he envisions an X-23 movie being about. While the director did not provide too many details, Mangold gave a high-flown overview of the story he’d like to tell:

“A very honest film about young people, is what I’d say – a very honest film about young people growing up.”

Right now, there is no official approval on 20th Century Fox’s side about a X-23 film. However, Mangold has said he’s talked with the studio about the standalone.

“Anything’s possible,” Mangold told press during a recent press conference. “I’ve certainly talked to them about it. I even talked to them about it before we made the movie. I thought she was just such a great character, but with what Dafne did, I think that certainly, that’s possible.”

If I where Mangold I'd wait at least four or five years for Dafne Keen to be old enough to carry a picture.  She was incredibly compelling for an 11-year old, but she wouldn't have been able to provide an extended screen presence without Hugh Jackman there.

Edited by fantastic_four

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

If I where Mangold I'd wait at least four or five years for Dafne Keen to be old enough to carry a picture.  She was incredibly compelling for an 11-year old, but she wouldn't have been able to provide an extended screen presence without Hugh Jackman there.

I don't think it would require her to carry the film. Logan had a great supporting cast and a film about X-23 could as well. I think it would depend on that. -script+entire cast. I think if we are still thinking in terms of one actor having to carry a super-hero film, it would end up one dimensional. We have so many great movies now that have multiple characters in them that support the movie. After Logan, I trust that if Mangold feels theres a film to be made, Ill be there with money in hand to see it.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

+1

Well, on the topic of Prof or Wolvering killing all the rest of the X-MEN -- the director stated that he was going to open the movie with

that scene (Prof did it)... but changed his mind, because he didn't want to distract from the small set of central characters.

Too bad it wasn't a deleted scene though.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1661459/logan-originally-had-a-horrifying-opening-scene

Something I never caught when watching Logan was the cemetery itself.

'Logan' Contains A Sneaky Captain America/Marvel Easter Egg - Did You Catch It?

credit-20th-century-fox.jpg

At the beginning of the film, we are shown Logan as he fulfills his chauffeur duties for different people. One of his destinations is a cemetery, where Gabriela first approaches him to tell him about his daughter/clone, Laura. We actually saw this scene in the trailer, where Logan is drinking as he waits for the ceremony to be over.

Well, the Easter Egg is hiding in the name of the cemetery: Greenwood Cemetery. In the comics, this cemetery houses the bodies of several #Marvel characters, including (for a time), Sue Storm's. But most importantly, in the Ultimate Marvel comic book universe, Greenwood houses a World War II memorial for Captain America. Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes even used the location as a meeting point to catch up on old war stories.

So it looks like the filmmakers were trying to pay homage to the [Old Man Logan] run, despite not having the rights to several of the characters that were involved in it. As far as Easter Eggs go, this was definitely a great one. It was subtle while carrying a lot of meaning.