• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Round of 128

258 posts in this topic

No work done after these scans, correct?

I'm not sure what is being asked. All these books are blue label. Like all of the books you will see, books were pressed, scans taken, books were graded.

Is there a bracket posted somewhere yet? (shrug)

Not yet. It's going to take some time for me to put it together. This damn thing called "Work" is getting in the way. :frustrated:

I'll save you some time. Just put me over Swick. Justin doesn't stand a chance.

It means that you now match up against someone who has done extremely well in the seeding round thereby making your road to the Finals that much harder. (shrug)

Can someone explain or summarize, in non-technical terms, what "seeding" actually is?

hm

A ranking system in sports to determine who faces off against whom. Your "seed", or position in the ranking, is generally determined by your past performance. So in tennis, for example, Novak Djokovic earned his #1 seed based on his performance in previous tournaments.

In the grading tournament, past performance isn't taken into account. Instead, there's a seeding round. Those who perform the best go to the top of the seeding list, and those who perform the worst sink to the bottom.

The advantage of being at the top of the list is that you face off in the next round against the people at the bottom of the list. The #1 seed plays against the #128 seed; the #2 seed plays the #127 seed, and so on.

Without the seeding round, the matchups would just be random.

Can someone explain or summarize, in non-technical terms, what "seeding" actually is?

hm

A ranking system in sports to determine who faces off against whom. Your "seed", or position in the ranking, is generally determined by your past performance. So in tennis, for example, Novak Djokovic earned his #1 seed based on his performance in previous tournaments.

In the grading tournament, past performance isn't taken into account. Instead, there's a seeding round. Those who perform the best go to the top of the seeding list, and those who perform the worst sink to the bottom.

The advantage of being at the top of the list is that you face off in the next round against the people at the bottom of the list. The #1 seed plays against the #128 seed; the #2 seed plays the #127 seed, and so on.

Without the seeding round, the matchups would just be random.

Thanks Drew!

So, essentially, it's a way to eliminate the sucky players, so that ultimately the better (best?) players end up in the final rounds?

hm

Sounds like a playoff, no?