• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally got my CLINK win framed and on the wall

18 posts in this topic

Very clean. I like it. Great piece too.

When Jeff Jones used to post on the old Comicart-L back in the day, one of the pieces of advice was that this was the ONLY way to frame art. It took me a few years after that before I realized it was true. At this point, pretty much every thing on my walls in a frame has been framed (or in several cases reframed) with black frames, and where they are pieces that require glass, white or slightly off white mats. I don't always use the same frame or even style of frame, but it has many benefits across the board in the long run.

My days of each piece looking like its own piece of furniture are long since over. Matching mat colors to shades in the work... gilded golds and colored stained woods... Framers love doing that. And I would know because my wife was one for 7 years of our youth. But we both came around. Over the years the really tricked out frames became dated and cheesey next to the simple elegance of the white mat black frame combos. This goes double for comic artwork.

And while occasionally I still see someone frame a piece, dressed to the 9s, with cool mat colors and frame materials. I can appreciate it on some levels, but know it's just not for me. Not anymore. Another reason I am so thankful for and appreciative of Jeff's insights all those years ago. Priceless.

...a black frame / black mat.

Black tends to close things up, can be suffocating. I prefer to let my art breathe, so no black frame either. Off-white mat (pure white is too harsh) and natural light wood frames. Just like you see in the museums for works on paper :)

Thanks for all the kind words. This is going to be my next framing project. I am actually planning to frame them together in a single frame.

breyfogle2s.jpg

Your Kirby was one of my favorite pieces in that auction. Looks great in the mat/frame (I too prefer black frame and off white/light grey mat).

On these next pieces you're going to frame, you might try swapping their positions and living with that for a few days. My sense is that would be a better joint composition.