• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst modern covers ever
3 3

561 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2018 at 4:34 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Not really a cover, but a Herb Trimpe trying to draw like Liefeld gets him his 15 minutes of fame here anyday!

IMG_2940.JPG

I think Trimpe needs to get a pass. He was an old timer just trying to survive and get work in the 90s and probably figured he needed to change his style to look like what the yippersnappers were doing. Yes, it is terrible. Just terrible.

I recall reading him saying he really enjoyed the 'new' style. I'll have to see if I can find the interview where Trimpe said that. 

Edit: got it. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-195/amp/

'

’ve been asked that question before, with some fans going so far as to feel sorry for the way Marvel made me change my style. Unfortunately, these were misdirected sympathies.

Truth was, it was a lark–but a lark with a purpose, all devised by myself. No one at Marvel suggested I change the way I draw or ink. I looked at the new guys’ stuff, and thought, hey, this is great. Very exciting. You can always learn from somebody else, no matter how long you’ve been doing a thing.

I did, however, think the style might lead to new work at a time when Marvel was already in trouble, and it did. FF Unlimited was my last series at Marvel, and contrary to what a lot of fans think, I think it was the best work I’d done–and, I had a whole lot of fun doing it. Very expressive. I think the newer influences in comic book art brought out a better me. Like I said, most of the fans of the earlier stuff would not agree. On one occasion, I inked a whole story with a brush, which is what I was raised on, and the editor objected asking me not to do that anymore. But in general, no one pressured me into a change.  

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

1 hour ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I recall reading him saying he really enjoyed the 'new' style. I'll have to see if I can find the interview where Trimpe said that. 

Edit: got it. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-195/amp/

'

’ve been asked that question before, with some fans going so far as to feel sorry for the way Marvel made me change my style. Unfortunately, these were misdirected sympathies.

Truth was, it was a lark–but a lark with a purpose, all devised by myself. No one at Marvel suggested I change the way I draw or ink. I looked at the new guys’ stuff, and thought, hey, this is great. Very exciting. You can always learn from somebody else, no matter how long you’ve been doing a thing.

I did, however, think the style might lead to new work at a time when Marvel was already in trouble, and it did. FF Unlimited was my last series at Marvel, and contrary to what a lot of fans think, I think it was the best work I’d done–and, I had a whole lot of fun doing it. Very expressive. I think the newer influences in comic book art brought out a better me. Like I said, most of the fans of the earlier stuff would not agree. On one occasion, I inked a whole story with a brush, which is what I was raised on, and the editor objected asking me not to do that anymore. But in general, no one pressured me into a change.  

I had not heard he was pressured, i just figured he felt that he needed to go that route to keep on getting work.

14 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

'

Thanks for this. Makes me feel sad. I met trimpe several times. All the way till his last day (at east coast comicon 2 years ago) I always admired him and knew his story and how he went through some really really bad times with Marvel. I always thought of him as this good hearted man who didn't have a mean bone in his body. Sure he wasn't the best artist. But he came from the school of working hard to make a living no matter what it takes. 

It's amazing how this whole shift in art took place in the 80s. You could probably say that mainstream comic art changed in that era. And yes brush inks were out and pointed pen/rapidographs were in. 

First it was Michael, then Art took it to the level where everyone took notice, then it was Todd, Rob, Lee, Whilce, Erik, Ron.. everyone really

They all changed their style bcs of that new kid on the block. To me, the most noticeable one was Kubert & Silvesty.. you'd see their work on uncanny x-men before and after and it's like day and night 

So yeah, I can understand why Trimpe changed as well

wGMA0w9.jpg

How long is Spider-Man's neck? Seriously, figure it out and you'll see what I mean. :flamed:

1 hour ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

wGMA0w9.jpg

How long is Spider-Man's neck? Seriously, figure it out and you'll see what I mean. :flamed:

7e3.png

2 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:
4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is so bad :roflmao:

This digital "art" is getting out of hand. This looks like *spoon* :sick:

At least the further covers posted shows that it is a "mask" lol

But it didn't really make it any better! :roflmao:

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

At least the further covers posted shows that it is a "mask" lol

But it didn't really make it any better! :roflmao:

It seriously reminds me of early bad CG, like the Ally Mcbeal dancing baby, and this Horrendous *Album art, and audio* Iron Maiden album. xD

Greg Horn is that you? Lol

qrfm0sn08zcz.png

So has it ever been clarified as to how The Batman Who Laughs can see anything in that costume? I have heard everything from sonar pings to "cosmic awareness." I normally let a lot of things slide, because comics, but when I first saw this character I always wondered about how he sees with the spike collar across his eyes.

14 minutes ago, fullerjason said:

So has it ever been clarified as to how The Batman Who Laughs can see anything in that costume? I have heard everything from sonar pings to "cosmic awareness." I normally let a lot of things slide, because comics, but when I first saw this character I always wondered about how he sees with the spike collar across his eyes.

Maybe the same way Daredevil sees?