• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Death of Adulthood in America - Madmen Season Finale

84 posts in this topic

The ending of Madmen was kinda forced to my thinking. The coke commercial as the equivalent of transcendental meditation as crystallized through a 1970s Coke commercial featuring the beginning of diversity in America is just a bit too much to swallow.

Unless the Coke commercial is just another product, no different then Lucky Strike cigarettes. Just selling fake dreams to the masses.

Regardless, it truly was the end of adulthood in America. The show got that part down right.

Plus Coke as it turns out is not healthy as well.

;)

Yuh, carbonated fizzy water is dangerous too ;)

It makes people obese.

Coke and Pepsi concede that maybe soda is bad for you.

Coke is the dangerous health thing.

So they went from selling cigarettes to selling coke.

Either way they made their money at the expense of people`s health. :(

It makes people obese.

Coke and Pepsi concede that maybe soda is bad for you.

Coke and Pepsi don't make people obese. People make themselves obese by the dietary choices they make. To quote the lyricist of the Holy Triumvirate, "blame is better to give than receive."

The big change that turned off viewers was the characterization of Don. The first 4+ seasons, Don was on top of the advertisement game and landing poon left and right. By the fifth season, everything at work began to become very little of Don winning and morphed into frustrating office politics. They also stopped showing Don living that fantasy life of wooing every woman he met and more marriage drama with his new wife. The show went from Don living a life of glamour and winning at everything to Don living with ignominy and losing in seasons 5, 6, and 7.

I found the whole Don/Megan thing uninteresting...I stopped watching last year...BUT, I just caught up and saw the finale.

I was disappointed, esp with the Stan/Peggy thing...that was too obvious.

Best thing...I finally figured out why the "niece" looked so familiar, she's the first Black Canary.

The big change that turned off viewers was the characterization of Don. The first 4+ seasons, Don was on top of the advertisement game and landing poon left and right. By the fifth season, everything at work began to become very little of Don winning and morphed into frustrating office politics. They also stopped showing Don living that fantasy life of wooing every woman he met and more marriage drama with his new wife. The show went from Don living a life of glamour and winning at everything to Don living with ignominy and losing in seasons 5, 6, and 7.

I found the whole Don/Megan thing uninteresting...I stopped watching last year...BUT, I just caught up and saw the finale.

I was disappointed, esp with the Stan/Peggy thing...that was too obvious.

Best thing...I finally figured out why the "niece" looked so familiar, she's the first Black Canary.

I agree with you. The ending was kind of weak. The show and the characters were way more interesting and compelling in the early 1960s,when they got to the psychedelic late 1960s the show and characters fizzled just like Coke.