• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omega Men 3 Lobo thread
1 1

46 posts in this topic

The Giffen/Bisley mini series was great. I can see the case being made at that time that Lobo could be the next Punisher.

The Paramilitary Xmas special is still my favorite book from that time period. The problem is/was that it works better as more of a joke than a regular thing. So, once they put him in too many things, the act got old.

That series had alot to do with the popularity of the character in the 90s.. Biz was a new up and coming artist, and getting him on Lobo with that crazy #1 painted cover is really all it took to take the character to the next level! The series was and still is mind blowing. Lobo very much was the Deadpool of the 90s (in terms or sarcasm, which Deadpool lacked back then), it was definitely Giffen's writing that made him become the hit that he was back then

That series is the entire reason he's popular at all.

He probably wouldn't have gotten that mini if fans didn't love his appearance in Justice League International (also Giffen).

Absolutely. Giffens sculpted him and Guy Gardner as the "merc with a mouth" of the 90s

J.M. DeMatteis deserves some of that credit, I'd imagine.

Didn't see one. Figured everyone's favorite psychopath deserved his own area. (shrug)

One of my favorites!

PqCSPV1h.jpg

:applause: Sweet copy. It's tough to find these books with such fine bottom edges near the spine.

Didn't see one. Figured everyone's favorite psychopath deserved his own area. (shrug)

One of my favorites!

PqCSPV1h.jpg

:applause: Sweet copy. It's tough to find these books with such fine bottom edges near the spine.

I agree. It took me a few times to find one worth holding on to.

:cloud9:

Omega%20Men%203%209.8_zpsfvlqnz6r.jpg

Love me some Lobo!

I find it hard to believe there are zero 9.9's on the census, and over 600 9.8's. There are so many high grade copies out there. I know a friend who has a short box of raw 9.8's.

Wasn't there some movie talk a few years ago? With Dwayne Johnson or Vin Deisel, or one of those meatheads? What happened to that?

IIRC, it was just before Johnson signed to play Black Adam... He was teasing several possibilities.

Edited by Brock

Wasn't there some movie talk a few years ago? With Dwayne Johnson or Vin Deisel, or one of those meatheads? What happened to that?

IIRC, it was just before Johnson signed to play Black Adam... He was teasing several possibilities.

Having either of those two knuckleheads as Lobo is a recipe for failure. Hopefully, if they make the movie, they can do better.

It went through two directors (Guy Ritchie was one).

Why Lobo is not part of the DC lineup going out to 2020.

Director Brad Peyton Reveals Why Warner Bros. Put The Breaks On LOBO

"It’s one of those things where, creatively, you and I get it, but there’s a lot of people that don’t quite get that. It’s a real uphill battle to talk people into spending a lot of money to do things correctly… I was really happy with the -script, [though]. I talked with Dwayne about it. Joel Silver and I had a really amazing meeting about it. I did a rewrite of the -script and was really, really excited for it. In their estimation, though, he wasn’t one of those main guys… That’s fair enough."

Those comments emphasise how Warner Bros. is going about building their DC Cinematic Universe in comparison to Marvel, and Peyton added: "I think that, to do any kind of comic book universe correctly, you do need to establish, ‘Here’s the tone. Here’s the main people.’ Then we can grow offshoots from there. With Marvel, they’re now doing smaller characters like Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. They obviously had to start, though, with their big guns and set up The Avengers. I kind of feel like that’s where DC is now. They’re setting that team up."

But some of the comments at the bottom of the article made a lot of sense in having Lobo be a backup character in the Green Lantern movie. From there, DC can judge if a Lobo movie would go over well or not.

:wishluck::wishluck:

It went through two directors (Guy Ritchie was one).

Why Lobo is not part of the DC lineup going out to 2020.

Director Brad Peyton Reveals Why Warner Bros. Put The Breaks On LOBO

"It’s one of those things where, creatively, you and I get it, but there’s a lot of people that don’t quite get that. It’s a real uphill battle to talk people into spending a lot of money to do things correctly… I was really happy with the -script, [though]. I talked with Dwayne about it. Joel Silver and I had a really amazing meeting about it. I did a rewrite of the -script and was really, really excited for it. In their estimation, though, he wasn’t one of those main guys… That’s fair enough."

Those comments emphasise how Warner Bros. is going about building their DC Cinematic Universe in comparison to Marvel, and Peyton added: "I think that, to do any kind of comic book universe correctly, you do need to establish, ‘Here’s the tone. Here’s the main people.’ Then we can grow offshoots from there. With Marvel, they’re now doing smaller characters like Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. They obviously had to start, though, with their big guns and set up The Avengers. I kind of feel like that’s where DC is now. They’re setting that team up."

But some of the comments at the bottom of the article made a lot of sense in having Lobo be a backup character in the Green Lantern movie. From there, DC can judge if a Lobo movie would go over well or not.

:wishluck::wishluck:

Like they did with Deadpool, in spite of the Wolverie movie.

Like I saw in the comments of that article, I believe it'll be expedited if Deadpool succeeds. And, the guy who played the Comedian would be great for the role.

...the guy who played the Comedian would be great for the role.

He's currently starring in the mini series Texas Rising. He's thin as a post. I hope it's something he did for the role.

I still think Dwayne Johnson would be PERFECT. He has the charisma, definitely has the physique, and has the timing for good comedy. If they make the film anything like a 'Spade Adventure', GOTG should have convinced them that the public is still hungry for that type of film, if it's done right.

IMO

Andrew Bryniarski, at 6'5" tall and 265 was probably a perfect choice for a fun short film about the Main Man.

bodybuilder-andrew-bryniarski.jpg

In 2002, Scott Leberecht directed a film adaptation of The Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special as part of the American Film Institute's director's studies program. Andrew Bryniarski stars as Lobo, with Tom Gibis as the Easter Bunny and Michael V. Allen as Santa Claus. The film was made with a budget of $2,400, although many professionals donated time and effort. It premiered at the AFI in May 2002.

For a full-on movie role, I'm not sure he would have pulled it off as the headliner.