• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most overrated artist and why?

206 posts in this topic

I like Jim Lee but it seems most of his characters all look the same.

JRJR is definitely overrated...I've never seen another artist show all the facial lines and wrinkles.

I'm also not a fan of Chris Bachalo...too sloppy and weird changes to classic looks. For example...Wolverine's nose is not THAT wide.

Personal picks?

Frank Frazetta - the guy is good, really good, one of the all time greats in comics.

But he is not the Greatest Artist to Ever Put Pen to Paper. :baiting:

I don't think overrated means what you think it means.

Frank Frazetta - the guy is good, really good, one of the all time greats in comics.

It's all relative. You could say Rob Liefeld was overrated because he mysteriously still has a few fans who refuse to turn his books into mulch, but that would be too easy. ;)

It's all relative. You could say Rob Liefeld was overrated because he mysteriously still has a few fans who refuse to turn his books into mulch, but that would be too easy. ;)

You said he was one of the all time greats. To me that doesn't compute with being overrated.

It's an unpopular thing to say... but...

I think Kirby is great... but not 'king'

At the time (early 60s) he was fantastic….his Silver Surfer design will always be classic, but it is not as "awesome" as Ron Lim's take.

I like Kirby for the fact that his designs laid the groundwork for most of the looks but he's no where near "king" status compared to some of today's artists.

It's an unpopular thing to say... but...

I think Kirby is great... but not 'king'

Kirby was so prolific and so fast that he ended up doing a lot of sloppy and even inferior work at times, but when he was at his best his work had a kinetic quality that made you feel like you were watching a movie more than reading sequential panels.

While I would agree that he doesn't tower above the competition, and may not even make my top 10 favorite comic artists list, he deserves the title King just for the sheer volume of his contributions to the medium.

You said he was one of the all time greats. To me that doesn't compute with being overrated.

It was being a bit snarky, as there are Frazetta fans out there who seem to think he belongs in class by himself and that he should be mentioned with the likes of Michelangelo and Da Vinci, and not mere comic illustrators. Maybe less so these days, as his body of work becomes more associated with another era, but there was a time when Frazetta fans could be a tad insufferable.

I never viewed Frazetta as just a comic artist. I just think of him as an artist in general. I grew up loving his fantasy art and I don't associate most of that with comics at all.

But I hear what you are saying.

I think JRJR's art is overrated. However, I do enjoy what he's doing with Superman.

Frank Miller's art is overrate. But he's one hell of storyteller.

They both have similar drawing style...blocky.

Not saying they're bad. Just overachieved with the accolades heaped upon the artwork.

All in all it's either Jim Lee or McFarlane

Probably McFarlane

I think JRJR's art is overrated. However, I do enjoy what he's doing with Superman.

Frank Miller's art is overrate. But he's one hell of storyteller.

They both have similar drawing style...blocky.

Not saying they're bad. Just overachieved with the accolades heaped upon the artwork.

I agree. :applause:

Frank Miller, as said before he should stick to writing.

pre-00's his art had a beautiful ferocity to it that matched his stories perfectly, however his art has become unrecognizable. :cry:

Frank Miller, as said before he should stick to writing.

pre-00's his art had a beautiful ferocity to it that matched his stories perfectly, however his art has become unrecognizable. :cry:

Ronin...just lovely stuff. Grotesque, but beautifully rendered. And he certainly created some iconic visuals with DKR and DD.