• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS on Starz (2017)
3 3

163 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

This show gets better each season, can't wait for season 3 

Didnt even know that Mad Sweeney and Ray Donovan were brothers lol

Right? If they stood together, I would never classify them as brothers.

Fremantle’s revenue rose 12% to €1.8 billion ($2 billion) last year, according to German parent company RTL Group. The producer’s EBITDA hit €184M ($205M), which was up 25% on 2018’s €147M ($164M).

RTL’s earnings for the financial year ended December 2019 showed that drama played a big role in Fremantle’s growth, with the company pointing to shows including Starz’s American Gods and HBO’s The New Pope.

Fremantle’s drama revenue grew 36% to €414M ($462M) and now makes up 23% of the producer’s total revenue. Beyond scripted, the company — which has production labels in 30 countries  — is known for making shows including America’s Got Talent and The Farmer Wants a Wife.

American Gods has officially released a teaser trailer for season three! At the end of the American Gods panel for [virtual] New York Comic Con, fans were given their first look at the upcoming season. The third season will take place primarily in Lakeside.

A few things I want to comment on as well are – what happened to Mad Sweeney’s body? We last saw Laura Moon walking away with the Celtic god’s body, after Shadow “accidentally” killed him. So, why does it seems as if he’s missing his eyes? I also have to comment on Mr. Wednesday’s vagabond attire here – as well as the Buffalo having more of an appearance than we’ve seen previously. We got our first looks at Danny Trejo and Dominique Jackson as the different variations of World. And we see Technical Boy (Quantum Boy?) looking like he’s going through his own torment.

Lastly, the tweet above reveals American Gods season three will premiere early 2021.

American Gods Season Three will debut on Starz on January 10th. This follows a long and rocky production cycle, and not just because of the coronavirus pandemic affecting almost all live-action productions at this time. The series has undergone several personnel changes, including Orlando Jones' public and contentious exit from the series. The first trailer for the season debuted at New York Comic Con Metaverse. Neil Gaiman, the author of the original American Gods novel and executive producer of the series, announced the return date personally on Twitter. He also addressed changes to the show and its thematic resonance. The show continues to try to mythologize the political and social divides in American society.

"When we embarked upon making season 3 of American Gods, we had no idea how timely it would turn out to be," Gaiman writes. "We knew we wanted to return to what people loved and responded to in the book: that it was time for Shadow to go to the little town of Lakeside and try to lose himself in normality. And at the same time, in season 3, we wanted to focus on the characters and their journeys. To show Shadow forging a path guided by the Gods of his ancestors, becoming more himself while deciding who he is and what side he's on — humanity's or that of the Gods."

Gaiman refers to a section of the original novel where Shadow leaves Mr. Wednesday's side and hides out in a quiet town for a time. It's a pivotal turning point in the story. Fans have anticipated reaching that point in the television adaptation.

AG-S3-key-art-STARZ.thumb.jpg.0750aed2984f8e3078def56091e6d893.jpg

Tonal Shifts In Season Three

Season three has a much different feel than previous seasons. Part of this is because a majority of it takes place in Lakeside – a sort of small-town paradise that is a pause from the god wars. There are new characters in the mix and new dynamics that were never explored in the book. Of course, with new showrunners, a show is going to feel different. Many felt season two didn’t feel like season one. I have to tell you, I am not minding the tonal shift in season three.

Welcome to Lakeside
In fact, I think I like it. I understand why everyone really enjoys the Lakeside portion of the book. I feel like Ricky Whittle’s Shadow Moon has never been better. He’s no longer the bumbling, naive outsider. He knows what he wants and doesn’t want and he is truly tired of Mr. Wednesday’s wildly_fanciful_statement. He feels like his own person. Before, I had thought of Shadow as a weak protagonist, but season three is really making me like him.

While Shadow is trying to forget the god war he’s been pulled into, the war is indeed still raging on. Except, it’s a bit of a pause. It’s been a few months since season two. Both sides seem to have taken time to regroup. Strategize. The tactics before weren’t working, so what will now?

Developing Characters
The first four episodes also really develop some longstanding characters in the show. Characters like Technical Boy and Bilquis. I’m loving how both Yetide Bakadi and Bruce Langley are given opportunities to morph out of the threat of one-dimensionality and flex their acting chops. We’re all sad that certain characters like the Jinn, Mr. Nancy, and Mad Sweeney won’t return this season. But, it is good to see the show give them new storylines. There are some points from the book that make their way into the show, though; they take new form in the episodes. 

Dominique Jackson Is Great

As far as the new actors, Dominique Jackson really stands out. Ms. World is going to become a favorite of mine and while that World aura still lives within Jackson’s take on the character, she makes the character completely her own. You can’t help, but be captivated by Jackson. She’s a great addition to the series. 

The Retcons
There are a few things season three retcons from season two. Some characters are simply not mentioned or explained away quickly. It’s how season two quickly explained why Easter and Media weren’t around anymore. You don’t get too hung up on the fact that things are a little different. 

Laura Moon’s Journey
The last thing I’ll comment on is Laura Moon’s journey. Which, takes an unexpected twist. The first four episodes really peel back Laura and she herself finds new information that shakes who she always thought she was. Mad Sweeney’s spirit is very much within the first four episodes. I don’t know how it will play in the rest of the season, but I think as far as the live-action sense, you cannot talk Laura Moon without talking about Mad Sweeney. I’m excited for Emily Browning’s journey for the rest of the episodes.

Rating: 4.5/5

The search feature on this site has gotten worse - not better. It's like any thread you want to track you have to include it in your follow list or after a few months you can't find it.

@BuzzettaI did your Google trick and the thread came up instantly. :foryou:

51 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The search feature on this site has gotten worse - not better. It's like any thread you want to track you have to include it in your follow list or after a few months you can't find it.

@BuzzettaI did your Google trick and the thread came up instantly. :foryou:

It's sad.  I have to use google to find most anything on the CGC Boards... the only thing it does not work on is the Water Cooler area which is hidden from Google Search bots. 

American Gods star Ricky Whittle teased Shadow Moon’s epic Season 3 journey in a new interview. It was going to be no secret that there would be some drama for his character after Odin came into play. Expecting some “Daddy Issues” is just natural in that position. Whittle talked to Collider about Season 3’s trials and tribulation this week. American Gods’ world continues to expand bigger and bigger every season. Starz has a giant winner on its hands with the show and is looking to keep that momentum. There have been some concerns over how the cast keeps rotating for the program. But, a lot of the principal players have remained in place. Wisconsin might not be glamorous, but that snowy locale will play host to all these developments.

“You don’t get bigger daddy issues than your father is Odin, the God of all Gods, especially when you don’t find out until you’re a grown man and you’ve literally had a life of hell,” he shared. “Your mother passed away when you were 15, you’ve never had a father figure, you never had friends, and you bounced around until you found the beautiful young lady who you married. And then, you find out that your father also had her killed, and then he wants favors. That’s where we find Shadow Moon in Season 3. He’s now become a petulant teenager who doesn’t wanna talk to dad, and rightly so. He has a few issues there that he needs to unpack.”

Fans of American Gods will now have new digital idols to worship. Starting today, Curio and show producer Fremantle will roll out of a series of digital experiences and collectibles for the popular Starz drama.

The American Gods digital collectibles are envisioned as the first in a series that will translate popular entertainment brands, studios, and owners of content into a new fan experience. The non-fungible tokens (NFT) are a special type of cryptographic token using blockchain technology that represent something unique. One of the best examples is the CryptoKitties craze, which offered sets of unique icons for collectors.

The Curio platform at www.oncurio.com allows fans to own, share or trade digital items in a manner akin to physical trading cards or collectibles. Brands can easily license and monetize limited edition, rare, and exclusive digital assets based on their owned IP.

“American Gods has the most amazing fans; they are incredibly engaged and supportive of the show,” said Erica Gadecki, partnership solutions at Fremantle. “Curio made it easy for us to engage with our fans in a meaningful and modern way, by creating a variety of digital experiences and collectibles for American Gods season three. Now fans of the show can share and interact in a deeper and more meaningful way with the content and characters they love.”

Curio’s platform enables producers to offer everything from never-before-seen digital engagements to brand ambassador programs that use digital merchandise as a passport for fans to exclusively access collectibles and VIP experiences.

On 11/19/2019 at 7:11 PM, Bosco685 said:

Right? If they stood together, I would never classify them as brothers.

They're half brPablo Schreiber, half-brother of Liev Schreiber, is an absolute unit : picsothers. Pablo is taller. Lief has some other brothers too, they may be half, not sure: