• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS on Starz (2017)
3 3

163 posts in this topic

Crazy-good episode last night. And you find out how Wednesday impacted Shadowmoon's life. One thing I realized as well is the actor playing Mad Sweeney is Liev Schreiber's brother.

American Gods' Pablo Schreiber Wants To Reboot Wolverine

pablo-schreiber-wants-to-reboot-wolverin

Though he’s currently starring as the down-on-his-luck leprechaun known as Mad Sweeney on American Gods, actor Pablo Schreiber wouldn’t mind playing a superhero. In fact, he would love to play two specific heroes from Marvel Comics canon, though he might have an easier time nabbing one role over the other.

“I was a huge fan growing up of Wolverine and of Daredevil,” Schreiber said when I spoke to him. “Those are my two favorite guys and I would jump at the chance to play either one of them in a second.”

Though Charlie Cox is currently starring as Daredevil in the hit Netflix show and the upcoming team-up series The Defenders, the role of Wolverine is vacant in the X-Men film franchise.

“And you know I think Hugh [Jackman] is done now with Wolverine, so maybe it's time for a reboot, Schreiber added. “Maybe it’s time for a new Wolverine.”

Schreiber’s own brother Liev Schreiber actually played Wolverine’s arch nemesis (and brother) Sabretooth alongside Jackman in the film X-Men Origins: Wolverine, so I posited the possibility of him returning to the role opposite Pablo’s take of the Best There Is At What He Does.

“Maybe we can reboot Sabretooth,” Schreiber joked. “I don’t think he would agree to play Sabretooth to my Wolverine.”

When I asked him why, the American Gods actor simply said “ego.” Because big brothers aren’t supposed to lose against little brothers.

“No, you can’t [lose], I don’t think you’re allowed to,” Schreiber added. “You have to rally, rage, rage against the dying of that light.”

American Gods EP on what to expect in season 2: 'Be very worried for Shadow Moon'

After a season of worship on the altar of Media, American Gods has come to a close. The Starz series culminated in one final flurry that saw many of the show’s big-name deities — including Mr. Wednesday (a.k.a. Odin), Easter, Media, Mr. World, and Technical Boy — as well as Mad Sweeney and Laura Moon gather for a big confrontation in the middle of Easter’s big party.

So it’s only fitting that the final installment of EW’s American Gods: Inside the Episode features its longest roster of guests yet: actors Pablo Schreiber, Yetide Badaki, Ricky Whittle, Ian McShane, Emily Browning, author Neil Gaiman, and executive producers Bryan Fuller and Michael Green. And, as a result, there was a lot to learn about how the cast and crew experienced the show in its debut season.

For Gaiman, one of the delights was people discovering the series and telling him — including another author. “I’ll go on Twitter and there’s Anne Rice going, ‘I just saw the first two episodes of American Gods, and now I’ve ordered the book,” shared Gaiman. “And I’m like, ‘Life goals done.”

mFApc1p.jpg

American Gods Blu-ray Details Have Been Announced

According to Blu-ray.com, Lionsgate Home Entertainment and Starz have, in fact, announced that American Gods: The Complete Season One will be available for purchase on October 17. Beyond that, the only detail is that the Blu-ray will contain “over 2 hours of supplemental features”.

However, Amazon UK already has the American Gods Blu-ray/DVD releases in stock, which lists the following as bonus features:

• San Diego Comic-Con Panel Footage: Showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Greene are joined by Bruce Langley, Yetide Badaki, Pablo Schreiber, Ricky Whittle, Ian McShane and Neil Gaiman at a San Diego Comic-Con panel to celebrate the series
  • Ian McShane Interview: The legendary Ian McShane talks candidly about American Gods, Mr Wednesday and the freedoms a show like American Gods gains by not being on network television
  • Ricky Whittle & Emily Browning Interview:Your new favourite dysfunctional married couple, Shadow and Laura Moon, discuss their unique dynamic and what it means to them to be part of American Gods
  • American Gods Origins with Neil Gaiman:Neil Gaiman returns to Reykjavik to reminisce about how the city fuelled his fascination for Norse folklore, which in turn led to the creation of American Gods.
  • Bruce Langley Interview: Technical Boy Bruce Langley talks about the most unpredictable of the New Gods
  • Ian McShane and Ricky Whittle Interview: Having been thrust straight into the pantheon of great double acts, the men behind Shadow Moon and Mr Wednesday discuss bringing the characters to life
  • Book Vs Show: The defining question when it comes to adaptations, this featurette examines what fans of the book will get from the series and vice versa
  • New Gods: A look at the New Gods of American Gods, including Media (Gillian Anderson), Mr World (Crispin Glover) and Technical Boy (Bruce Langley).
  • Old Gods: Learn about the cultural roots of the Old Gods seen in the series, from fertility god Bilquis through to the deathly horror of Czernobog and, of course, the enigmatic Wednesday
  • What is American Gods? Exclusive insight into the most exciting television event of the year

American Gods: Jesse Alexander New Showrunner; Season 2 in 2019

After a contentious few months that saw Bryan Fuller and Michael Green leaving the series over presumed budget issues with production company Fremantle, The Hollywood Reporter is reporting exclusively that Hannibal‘s Jesse Alexander will be assuming showrunner responsibilities alongside author and executive producer Neil Gaiman on Starz’s American Gods. Aside from Hannibal, Alexander has also worked with Fuller on Star Trek: Discovery and Heroes; as well as ABC’s Alias and Lost.

Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, Gaiman has this to say about the hiring of Alexander:

“I’m thrilled that Jesse is [the] showrunner. He loves and understands the book, he loves and understands the TV series and he’s dedicated to making future seasons of American Gods as good and as beautiful and as unique as they can be. Shadow’s journey is going to take him, and Mr. Wednesday, and the New Gods and the Old, to some very strange places. I’m glad that we, and the cast and crew, will have Jesse shepherding us on the way.”

In The Hollywood Reporter‘s reporting, some very interesting highlights also came up from their sources (so keep that in mind when reading:

●  Fuller and Green’s six completed scripts are expected to be scrapped, and restarted from scratch with Alexander.

●  Gaiman wasn’t happy with the direction that Fuller and Green were attempting to take the series, feeling they were moving too far away from the source material; and that Gaiman wanted a showrunner who would steer the series back to the novel (and away from the Season 1 finale).

●  American Gods‘ first season was estimated to have run $30 million over budget; and that multiple rewrites with Fuller scrapping some episodes and reworking others resulted in the Season 1 episode count dropping from ten episodes to eight episodes.

●  Fremantle set a $9 million/episode budget for the second season, with Fuller and Green asking for more to produce ten-episode season.

●  With the delay in securing a new showrunner and to keep budgets in line, American Gods is expected to have its second season episode count reduced; and the previously undisclosed January 2019 return date has also become increasingly unlikely.