• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is San Diego Going?

176 posts in this topic

You make comments like you speak for everybody. Every person from my friends to family to workers who have come to my house to fix the plumbing has noticed the art on my walls and have asked questions about it. The more I tell them the more they are intrigued by it. As for my friends and family they know nothing about comic books and love my art collection. Some of them have even started doing bits of research about it for their own knowledge. I don't know why you think we are some obscure religious cult who are the only ones pathetic enough to appreciate comic art.

You know not to start a fight or anything but for all the times you put on the white hat do you ever have a positive post? All your posts are always so negative. Just a question.

On the 3rd I had a little party at my house. A few of us had been playing on Netflix before everyone else came and 2 of them decided to just full on watch Anerican Psycho which I told them was sitting on the book case on blu ray if they'd rather. Well an hour later more people come over and my friends girl friend suddenly goes, "Isn't that the Green Goblin?!" And a few people responded "yes". I corrected them and told them they were close but it was actually the Hobgolin. I thought they were talking about the Hobgoblin painting above my TV and I failed to notice that creepy spoon Willem Defoe on screen asking Batman about his alibi the night the new Joker disappered. :facepalm:

I do not see how explaining a piece of comic book art to a viewer detracts from the value. The owner of amazing Spider-man #15 cover that features Kraven the Hunter may have to explain who Kraven The Hunter is but most people get the fact that it is the original art to an early Spider-Man cover and was drawn by Steve Ditko. Same goes for the Amazing Spider-Man # 28 cover that features the obscure villain the Molten Man. I just don't see what the fuss is all about ?

Even Journey Into Mystery # 83 cover may require some explanation as its Number 83, not # 1, and features an obscure Villain.

An explanation of the piece doesn't detract from value to me.

You make comments like you speak for everybody. Every person from my friends to family to workers who have come to my house to fix the plumbing has noticed the art on my walls and have asked questions about it. The more I tell them the more they are intrigued by it. As for my friends and family they know nothing about comic books and love my art collection. Some of them have even started doing bits of research about it for their own knowledge. I don't know why you think we are some obscure religious cult who are the only ones pathetic enough to appreciate comic art.

You know not to start a fight or anything but for all the times you put on the white hat do you ever have a positive post? All your posts are always so negative. Just a question.

I go out of my way to write things like "jimho" (just in my humble opinion) and "folks in my life" (so not the same as anybody else's) to try to avoid generalizing. My personal experience. Not always obvious, but when I'm running with opinion I try to make sure I identify that. I'm nobody special, no special genius or insight, and I know that :)

One of my past careers (I've had several) was in risk management in the financial services, a very "negative" job, but somebody's got watch the back door, right? I was exceptional in that role and saved several companies millions of dollars in near losses on poorly conceived projects or internal shenanigans (mismanagement and outright theft), along with identifying external risks that were being ignored or underappreciated by senior management. I wasn't all that popular there either, especially with whomever I was pointing the finger at! I do make constructive posts though, as I was also a successful Project Manager for many years and navigated bringing multiple parties with contrary and competing agendas to the table and (mostly) everybody walking away happy, or at least less upset! Somewhere in there a lot of efficiencies and cost saving measures were also introduced, not to mention increased usability and CS levels.

I can tell you that I'm very honest in my posts, not a troll picking fights or pushing buttons (well mostly but I can joke around too!) Like everyone, I have my good days and bad, and sometimes that comes out too. But I try to isolate that from what I write..it's online, none of you walk in my shoes, why should you have to suffer my bad moods or whatever? Also, I trained in Law (though never practiced) and can argue cases effectively, find merit in both sides of a well-constructed argument, etc. That's some of what I do here as well..play devil's advocate, say the things that aren't being said (regardless of my personal opinion) to add color to the discussion, give others things (of merit, imo) to chew on. Lots of cheerleaders here, and/or those that just don't think in the negative...I add that intentionally for "fair and balanced" (if you will) reasons too.

So today: honestly my librarian doesn't give a crp about comics. And honestly...it scks. Likewise my family and friends. All true. All scks. Which hasn't stopped me collecting or coming around here to talk shop and check out art! Actually I have to do that, otherwise it's me in a comic/illustration art vacuum. Sad but true. Weird cult...your words not mine :)

So my negativity...yes I'm personally very negative on the financial aspects of our hobby, the big numbers and what people do to make it work when their disposable income really isn't there (so...hitting the credit cards, basically. I was also a licensed securities broker for a while. I know well how people eff that up and can't get back out of the hole.) I don't think future prices are a linear extension from today and where we've come from. I do think micro (inter-generational) and macro (multi-generational) demographics matter, and neither, especially the latter is favorable. I'm a student of the trading markets, the debt markets, the currency markets, the "flow" markets...it all matters (not imo, it really does.) Stock (what's in your fridge) is one thing, flow (how close the supermarket is, and if they have what you're looking for and in the necessary quantities) is much more important. (Again factual, the average responses to flow delta are well-documented human nature.) And I so couldn't honesty write very positive on the money state of comic art, I'd be a fake. What I do (more often than you think) is not post at all -if I personally feel I've been excessively negative in a short period of time. I know what I write isn't for everybody (anybody?), but it's me. But again, I'm not above giving myself a timeout in the interests of not annoying others. Or at least I try to do that. And of course I'm a big fan, but I'm also one that intentionally keeps the collection private, so no art days, no bragging rights, all that. But if I like something somebody posts, very easy for me to (honestly) write that too!

Thanks for the thoughtful post. Normally I'd just pm this to you, I don't think anybody else cares...but this time it's public (since you posted yours public).

I go out of my way to write things like "jimho" (just in my humble opinion) and "folks in my life" (so not the same as anybody else's) to try to avoid generalizing. My personal experience. Not always obvious, but when I'm running with opinion I try to make sure I identify that. I'm nobody special, no special genius or insight, and I know that :)

One of my past careers (I've had several) was in risk management in the financial services, a very "negative" job, but somebody's got watch the back door, right? I was exceptional in that role and saved several companies millions of dollars in near losses on poorly conceived projects or internal shenanigans (mismanagement and outright theft), along with identifying external risks that were being ignored or underappreciated by senior management. I wasn't all that popular there either, especially with whomever I was pointing the finger at! I do make constructive posts though, as I was also a successful Project Manager for many years and navigated bringing multiple parties with contrary and competing agendas to the table and (mostly) everybody walking away happy, or at least less upset! Somewhere in there a lot of efficiencies and cost saving measures were also introduced, not to mention increased usability and CS levels.

I can tell you that I'm very honest in my posts, not a troll picking fights or pushing buttons (well mostly but I can joke around too!) Like everyone, I have my good days and bad, and sometimes that comes out too. But I try to isolate that from what I write..it's online, none of you walk in my shoes, why should you have to suffer my bad moods or whatever? Also, I trained in Law (though never practiced) and can argue cases effectively, find merit in both sides of a well-constructed argument, etc. That's some of what I do here as well..play devil's advocate, say the things that aren't being said (regardless of my personal opinion) to add color to the discussion, give others things (of merit, imo) to chew on. Lots of cheerleaders here, and/or those that just don't think in the negative...I add that intentionally for "fair and balanced" (if you will) reasons too.

So today: honestly my librarian doesn't give a crp about comics. And honestly...it scks. Likewise my family and friends. All true. All scks. Which hasn't stopped me collecting or coming around here to talk shop and check out art! Actually I have to do that, otherwise it's me in a comic/illustration art vacuum. Sad but true. Weird cult...your words not mine :)

So my negativity...yes I'm personally very negative on the financial aspects of our hobby, the big numbers and what people do to make it work when their disposable income really isn't there (so...hitting the credit cards, basically. I was also a licensed securities broker for a while. I know well how people eff that up and can't get back out of the hole.) I don't think future prices are a linear extension from today and where we've come from. I do think micro (inter-generational) and macro (multi-generational) demographics matter, and neither, especially the latter is favorable. I'm a student of the trading markets, the debt markets, the currency markets, the "flow" markets...it all matters (not imo, it really does.) Stock (what's in your fridge) is one thing, flow (how close the supermarket is, and if they have what you're looking for and in the necessary quantities) is much more important. (Again factual, the average responses to flow delta are well-documented human nature.) And I so couldn't honesty write very positive on the money state of comic art, I'd be a fake. What I do (more often than you think) is not post at all -if I personally feel I've been excessively negative in a short period of time. I know what I write isn't for everybody (anybody?), but it's me. But again, I'm not above giving myself a timeout in the interests of not annoying others. Or at least I try to do that. And of course I'm a big fan, but I'm also one that intentionally keeps the collection private, so no art days, no bragging rights, all that. But if I like something somebody posts, very easy for me to (honestly) write that too!

Thanks for the thoughtful post. Normally I'd just pm this to you, I don't think anybody else cares...but this time it's public (since you posted yours public).

Are you related to our constantly wrong Oracle of Delphi , Mr. Gene Park ? :facepalm:

Lots of :blahblah:

Constantly wrong in his forecasts

Are you related to our constantly wrong Oracle of Delphi , Mr. Gene Park ? :facepalm:

No. But I'd rather get out (of a bubble market) a day early than a day late. Such as it is, I've sold almost nothing but done very little buying the last ten years (compared to the ten before). I think this is not Gene :)

I do often think about selling and not getting carried away with the rest of you. Fighting herd mentality is tough, especially when it's human nature to herd!

No. But I'd rather get out (of a bubble market) a day early than a day late. Such as it is, I've sold almost nothing but done very little buying the last ten years (compared to the ten before). I think this is not Gene :)

I do often think about selling and not getting carried away with the rest of you. Fighting herd mentality is tough, especially when it's human nature to herd!

I hope for your sake that your not Gene Park. One is quite enough. Thank you very much.

I really think your mistaken thinking this is a bubble. OA was disregarded for so long that these last 15 years are merely compensating for the market having had ignored the value of this stuff, the previous 35 years.

I remember when a Colan Daredevil cover was $2,000. And people thought that was HIGH because Colan was scoffed at.

Buscema didn't get rated much better.

And even Ditko Spider-man pages were being sold by Conra Eschenberg in 1998 for $4,000 a page

The stuff was just so so so so so cheap

This current market I do not think is a bubble

Rather, it is reality finally asserting herself

Guys, this is a message board. Everyone is allowed their opinion, right? I believe that a little respectful discourse is interesting and entertaining. Personal attacks don't help advance the discussion and discourage others from expressing their views.

I find Gene's posts interesting, and I can go back through them, but I don't think he's ever really predicted anything. He has discussed the history of prices of collectibles, and the possible impact of various broader trends on our hobby in the future. And, while he's sharing his views, he's buying art and contributing to the knowledge base cogently and thoughtfully.

We've all seen plenty of posts from other people that predict prices can only go up. I love the hobby; I buy OA and post my collection, and I don't believe that prices can or should be expected to only go in one direction. Honestly, I have significant concerns with the steep slope of future value increase that some have suggested. That just makes me more thoughtful in my purchases, and maybe (hopefully) a little smarter.

That doesn't make me a hater, does it?

Ron

I hope for your sake that your not Gene Park. One is quite enough. Thank you very much.

Gene doesn't need me "Board defending him" but Hey! No Gene bashing! If you disagree with him or want to debate his view point, fine but name calling like "constantly wrong Oracle of Delphi"--not cool and not productive.

Guys, this is a message board. Everyone is allowed their opinion, right? I believe that a little respectful discourse is interesting and entertaining. Personal attacks don't help advance the discussion and discourage others from expressing their views.

I find Gene's posts interesting, and I can go back through them, but I don't think he's ever really predicted anything. He has discussed the history of prices of collectibles, and the possible impact of various broader trends on our hobby in the future. And, while he's sharing his views, he's buying art and contributing to the knowledge base cogently and thoughtfully.

We've all seen plenty of posts from other people that predict prices can only go up. I love the hobby; I buy OA and post my collection, and I don't believe that prices can or should be expected to only go in one direction. Honestly, I have significant concerns with the steep slope of future value increase that some have suggested. That just makes me more thoughtful in my purchases, and maybe (hopefully) a little smarter.

That doesn't make me a hater, does it?

Ron

No. Doesnt make you a hater Ron.

But you are mistaken. Gene has predicted a significant price decline for the OA market for almost 10 years now.

Gene doesn't need me "Board defending him" but Hey! No Gene bashing! If you disagree with him or want to debate his view point, fine but name calling like "constantly wrong Oracle of Delphi"--not cool and not productive.

Fine. I will keep my dislike of Gene to myself but if he crosses me again, then I will have to reconsider my position.

Fine. I will keep my dislike of Gene to myself but if he crosses me again, then I will have to reconsider my position.

If I may ask you to explain....what do you mean if "He crosses me " "again" ???

Says the guy who started the thread about the Greece situation being "Lehman Brothers 2.0". (shrug)

I don't know what I did to "cross" you, but, like "vodou" (who is not me or anyone I know), I like to stir the pot every now and again, whether that's being more optimistic than your dire Grexit forecasts (nothing personal), or playing devil's advocate to the opinions of some of the True Believers and hucksters in the OA hobby. I'm very aware that this has given people the impression that I've been more bearish than I actually am/have been, but that's OK. People who know me know what the real deal is.

Anyway, I've got a lot of really good friends in the hobby, an OA collection that I love, and no debt, so I really can't have been all that wrong. hm

I hope we can now get back on topic... :wishluck:

Whose Not Gene Park?

Your Not Gene Park!!

lol

Says the guy who started the thread about the Greece situation being "Lehman Brothers 2.0". (shrug)

I don't know what I did to "cross" you, but, like "vodou" (who is not me or anyone I know), I like to stir the pot every now and again, whether that's being more optimistic than your dire Grexit forecasts (nothing personal), or playing devil's advocate to the opinions of some of the True Believers and hucksters in the OA hobby. I'm very aware that this has given people the impression that I've been more bearish than I actually am/have been, but that's OK. People who know me know what the real deal is.

Anyway, I've got a lot of really good friends in the hobby, an OA collection that I love, and no debt, so I really can't have been all that wrong. hm

You and Namisgr attacked me in a very confrontational matter for no reason when I was trying to be civil and have a real and friendly conversation. Go back and read the thread.

If at this time then you want to bury the hatchet ? then I am good with that :)

Would prefer to have a friend rather than an enemy :)

If you wanna rip on Gene....go for the low hanging fruit....his unnatural love of Greg Horn! :banana:

If you wanna rip on Gene....go for the low hanging fruit :banana:

where I come from that's called assault. Perv. (tsk)