• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mouse/Rat Chew?

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but does anyone have an idea (or better yet, pictures/examples) of the affect of mouse/rat chew on CGC graded books? Of course, I understand there are several factors at play here (i.e. presence of other flaws/defects, extent of the rat/mouse chew, etc), but it would be nice to get a general idea for how hard this affects a comic's grade. Separately, but somewhat related, for rare books, how do you think this sort of defect affects its desirability?

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

The Boards are flooded with questions on 'how does a certain flaw affect a grade'. There is no way, without a picture of a specific example, we can answer you. Even CGC could not answer you. Having said that, I would think a mouse chew would greatly affect the grade. You are talking about whole book missing pieces here. They will get hammered. Personally, I think a mouse chew is one of the worst flaws possible, totally not desirable, on the level of used toilet paper. Sorry.

The Boards are flooded with questions on 'how does a certain flaw affect a grade'. There is no way, without a picture of a specific example, we can answer you. Even CGC could not answer you. Having said that, I would think a mouse chew would greatly affect the grade. You are talking about whole book missing pieces here. They will get hammered. Personally, I think a mouse chew is one of the worst flaws possible, totally not desirable, on the level of used toilet paper. Sorry.

I agree 100%. Being an exterminator myself I loath rat chew books.

Got it, thanks. Does anyone have actual examples of CGC-graded mouse/rat chew books they can post pictures of?

And I guess I figured this would not be a desriable flaw. Question is, for a super-rare book, is it tolerable in your opinion?

I saw 1/3 of Adventure Comics #247 was chewed off from the top edge to near the title - some story was interrupted. The raw copy was sold for merely $114. I think it may be Fair 1.0 - maybe Poor .5. I don't think it is a desirable grade at this time -- maybe in future.

Got it, thanks. Does anyone have actual examples of CGC-graded mouse/rat chew books they can post pictures of?

Just google it. There are tons of examples out there.

I can help you here. :foryou:

These books all came out of an original owner collection that was discovered in Petaluma, CA (once known as "The Egg Capital of the World') back in the 1990s. The collection included most of the Atlas and DC horror/fantasy titles from the mid-1950s -- perhaps the very toughest period for the mid/high-grade collector. The books are characterized by bright cover inks, fresh pages, and a generally unread appearance. A large number of these books still reign as "top census" copies. Unfortunately, the collection was stored in a barn/hen-house, and many of the books had rodent chews. Here are a few examples:

UT%2032-55-Pet.jpg

UT%2033-55-Pet.jpg

UT%2037-70-Pet.jpg

I've always regarded these as extremely pretty books, and I felt honored to have them in my “permanent” collection. :luhv:

These books all came out of an original owner collection that was discovered in Petaluma, CA (once known as "The Egg Capital of the World') back in the 1990s.

Peanuts fans remember it as the site of the world's wrist wrestling championship!

Great books, btw.

These books all came out of an original owner collection that was discovered in Petaluma, CA (once known as "The Egg Capital of the World') back in the 1990s. The collection included most of the Atlas and DC horror/fantasy titles from the mid-1950s -- perhaps the very toughest period for the mid/high-grade collector. The books are characterized by bright cover inks, fresh pages, and a generally unread appearance. A large number of these books still reign as "top census" copies. Unfortunately, the collection was stored in a barn/hen-house, and many of the books had rodent chews. Here are a few examples: ...

I've always regarded these as extremely pretty books, and I felt honored to have them in my “permanent” collection. :luhv:

They present well, yes, but without getting into the "would you rather have..." game, 7.0 is ridiculous for a corner chewed away. If those areas were water stained instead of missing, they'd be 6-ish. If that was a hole punch, 4.0? Really, anything over a 4.0 is a gift.