• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lawsuit over Wally Wood Daredevil art

24 posts in this topic

I left the paper at work, but in the NY Daily News today there was a small blurb that stated David Spurlock as representative of the Wally Wood Estate had a lawsuit against Tatjana Wood, Wally Wood's widow, tossed on the grounds that he waited too long to take action. This was over 200 pages of Daredevil art and supposedly The Wood Estate has known since 2005 that she had the pages but waited until 2014 to sue. The art was valued at approximately $35,000 per page in the article.

I think this article from a year earlier clarifies things.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mad-artist-wife-refuses-hand-artwork-court-papers-article-1.1991117

Specifically -

The long-troubled artist, who died in 1981 at the age of 54, left his money to Tatjana, but bequeathed all royalty rights from his artwork to a friend.

That friend, John Robinson, then signed over the royalties to Spurlock in 2012, according to documents.

If this is true then the only person who would stand to gain from this lawsuit is Spurlock, not the Estate.

I didn't think Woody's output on DD came close to 200 pages?

If you include covers and the pages he inked over Powell I count 189 pieces.

The stories and covers from DD 5 through 11.

The pinups in 5 and 7

and all 40 pages of interiors in DD Annual 2.

I didn't think Woody's output on DD came close to 200 pages?

If you include covers and the pages he inked over Powell I count 189 pieces.

The stories and covers from DD 5 through 11.

The pinups in 5 and 7

and all 40 pages of interiors in DD Annual 2.

DD Annual 2 was a reprint of DDs # 10 & 11.

I thought 200 DD pages was high as well.

The paper said it was Spurlock suing as head of the Wallace Wood Estate and when I went to google Tatjana to get the spelling correct an article I saw from 2014 also stated that it was the Estate suing and not Spurlock personally (they even ran a correction about that).

But I really do not know, just reporting what I read.

did wally and tatjana. have any kids. if so the art would belong to the family. if he had reprint rights / royalties. then he should get paid if the art is reprinted.

he has no rights to the physical art itself. if he was smart he should have just made her a cash offer for the pages. he might came out better. than posting in court what the pages are worth. now he,s pretty much arse out.

I thought 200 DD pages was high as well.

140 pages of story art (including the Bob Powell collaborations) . . . 1 pin-up . . . 7 covers.

Some of those covers have surfaced and are in private collections.

Use to own a page from # 11 and know of other pages in collector circles.

$35k a page? Maybe at Donnelly prices . . . but back in the real world, I doubt it.

I left the paper at work, but in the NY Daily News today there was a small blurb that stated David Spurlock as representative of the Wally Wood Estate had a lawsuit against Tatjana Wood, Wally Wood's widow, tossed on the grounds that he waited too long to take action. This was over 200 pages of Daredevil art and supposedly The Wood Estate has known since 2005 that she had the pages but waited until 2014 to sue. The art was valued at approximately $35,000 per page in the article.

The linked article states 200 pages of original art, not just Daredevil art

There you go. Makes more sense now.

There you go. Makes more sense now.

Must have been the other stuff that was worth up to $35k a pop!

Great News!!!! Spurlock is such a blood sucking leach!!!

I've enjoyed books about Wally Wood that Spurlock worked on.

Sad to hear he's not a well-liked guy.

Can you elaborate on this, or is it stuff that can't be mentioned?

The actual suit says the artwork is valued at between $2,000 and $35,000 per page, and the letters between Spurlock and Wood's widow talked about 150-200 pages that Wood received back from Marvel. I'm not sure I saw anything specifically mentioning Daredevil.

Ron

again, the linked article is not the one I reported on, so...