• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Children Riding a Winged Horse

23 posts in this topic

I saw an old comic, possibly some shade of orange but I 'm not sure, that featured a flying horse with two children riding on its back. I am pretty sure that it was a one-shot publication. Now I would like to find that comic but I don't know the title. If anyone could help me identify the book, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

I saw an old comic, possibly some shade of orange but I 'm not sure, that featured a flying horse with two children riding on its back. I am pretty sure that it was a one-shot publication. Now I would like to find that comic but I don't know the title. If anyone could help me identify the book, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

1944 Famous Fairy Tales giveaway?

157069.jpg.461cc5817a1b6e5409e270c9748e7588.jpg

Thanks!

1944 Famous Fairy Tales giveaway?

^^ ^^ chicken dinner I bet

That's probably it since the horse is orange.

Here's a similar one with a white horse.

http://www.comics.org/issue/277650/cover/4/

I think the Famous Fairy Tales giveaway is the book I was thinking of as it has the two children on the back of the flying horse going from right to left. In late 1942 Dell Publishing decided to try a logo on their comic books and used a small version of that cover, slightly redrawn, on New Funnies #68, Looney Tunes #12, Four Color #11 (Wash Tubbs), and Our Gang #2. After that brief experiment, they went back to not using a logo for a couple of years until the square Dell magazine logo was introduced. I still need a copy of Our Gang #2 to complete the set, and now I will have to look for the Famous Fairy Tales giveaway as well.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I was thinking of that same book. Nice Barks cover.

I think that is Walt Kelly.

I think that's too late for Kelly to be doing duck books.

looked at the Our Gang #2 in GCD and sure would like to see that logo closer... (please and thanks)

Ask, and you shall receive, Pat. My copy of Our Gang # 2 is rather trashed, but should be able to get a good shot of the logo for you:

Our_Gang_2_zpsng9wb7nh.jpg

Dell_Logo_zpsnv5myvac.jpg

I was thinking of that same book. Nice Barks cover.

I think that is Walt Kelly.

I think that's too late for Kelly to be doing duck books.

It's definitely Barks, published January 1953. Near as I can tell, the last Kelly duck cover was WDC&S 123 in Dec 1950.

Hey Boot! :hi:

and check out the bc, it's slammin

FamousFairyTales1944f_zpsijhpy3a5.jpg

FamousFairyTales1944b_zpsccsk4im4.jpg

Gorgeous copy, Dr. Mint! My BC has same imprint.

Glad we were able to help, YK!

For posterity, here are the 1942 and 1943 issues, with two 1942 bc imprint versions (complete with another winged horse...)

157095.jpg.b8943ca46d01f6c6d5f88f7ae72c976c.jpg

157096.jpg.ab0ccd674a8823b4117a0af3d9125711.jpg

157097.jpg.5ced1e5530a14a4013fae2bde9c887a8.jpg

157098.jpg.0a3775f0b1bd969f4ac464f44709cd5f.jpg

157099.jpg.dbfd6613de2d42fa4f124dbee4c82cf8.jpg