• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHU Comics, a NYC comic shop

9 posts in this topic

My comic store when i grew up was his first store on Staten Island. Still there (moved 1 block away) 30 years later and when I started to work in Manhattan it was my Ny store along with Mdtown comics. Jim Hanleys is where I tried to sell my comics when I was young and saw the venom stuff and instead of selling my books I spent almost $100 on Spider man Venom books.

My comic store when i grew up was his first store on Staten Island. Still there (moved 1 block away) 30 years later and when I started to work in Manhattan it was my Ny store along with Mdtown comics. Jim Hanleys is where I tried to sell my comics when I was young and saw the venom stuff and instead of selling my books I spent almost $100 on Spider man Venom books.

Sounds like me today!

I have been to the Staten Island store a few times in the last 6 months or so. If I am driving into the city alone on the weekend for anything I often swing by there as they have a nice selection of recent variants and seem to rotate back issue stock so I often find something.

If your old enough to hsve lived there on Staten Island back then there was Pauls Sweet Shop right accross the street from where JHU is now,. Where i got my comics and Kiss magazines. And down the block is a great music store where I took my guitar lessons. Pauls sweet shop made news years later when a mob body was found in the basement.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/01/nyregion/body-is-found-after-attempt-on-gotti-s-life.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/02/nyregion/3-sought-in-connection-with-si-body.html

I've been to JHU in midtown-south a number of times. They seem to have a good stock of new stuff. Even when new hot issues are sold-out elsewhere they seem to linger at this shop so if you want something new and can't find it this store may be a good one to check.