• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Lol, well I never saw any attacks on me so I won't be going anywhere.

I really did want to enjoy this movie, I wanted it to be "all that and a bag of chips", however for me it wasn't.  I'm glad that others enjoyed it though.

It was really good.A lot of great action scenes. I liked Aquaman he was cool like Thor.  The thing now is DC has to find away to bring back the fans somehow at the box office. I think in the long run the 96 million number at the box office is much more important than the Rotten Tomatoes score.

Now it still has a few weeks before Star Wars hits so it could rally. Not over yet for Justice League.

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

Maybe just maybe if some of these people would see the movie then I could understand their discontent like media junkie

ive said this about the other movies I like vs those who dislike them etc

i don’t comment beyond a point if I haven’t seen it. That would be ignorant yet so others can continue to post negatives without having seen a film

Agreed! To bash something you haven't even seen yet seems like uninformed posting. Same thing happened with Batman v Superman where someone disliked Man of Steel, so they were posting to ensure nobody saw BvS because it could be like MoS.

go figure.

Haven't seen the movie myself but I did take part in the Monday office discussion with three non comic geeks who saw the movie. All enjoyed it and had few criticisms. Hopefully this will be the franchise film that finally puts DCverse on course.

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It was really good.A lot of great action scenes. I liked Aquaman he was cool like Thor.  The thing now is DC has to find away to bring back the fans somehow at the box office. I think in the long run the 96 million number at the box office is much more important than the Rotten Tomatoes score.

Now it still has a few weeks before Star Wars hits so it could rally. Not over yet for Justice League.

I am really interested to see how the Thanksgiving weekend goes, and if it spikes up or goes down. Overseas seemed normal, while domestic not so much (clearly).

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I am really interested to see how the Thanksgiving weekend goes, and if it spikes up or goes down. Overseas seemed normal, while domestic not so much (clearly).

Do you really think it could spike up with the new Pixar film opening this week?  Granted I haven't seen a preview yet for CoCo that makes me want to see that movie, but I bet alot of families will see it, which pulls them from JL.

Saw it with the missus yesterday. Not what I'd call a good movie, but pretty far from a disaster. Worlds better than BvS and MoS.  The character moments work more often than not, there are a few genuinely exciting action beats, and overall it hangs together pretty well. Steppenwolf looks like video game cut-scene CGI animation, just terrible, and way too much of the movie is green screen and CG with no real weight. But all things considered, it was mostly fine, and definitely not the train wreck I was expecting. Can't imagine ever wanting to see it again, but at least I didn't hate myself for watching it, and it moved along pretty breezily. I'd give it a solid C.

PS: This is the first time Cavill felt like Superman to me. Still hate the costume, but I liked him fine in the part this time.

Some really good catches that clearly got by me.

SPOILERS: JUSTICE LEAGUE - 31 Amazing Easter Eggs, Cameos, And References You Need To See

Black Mask

There's at least a hint of his existence in Justice League. That comes when Batman is battling a Parademon above Gotham as we see a building sporting the "Janus" logo in the background. Janus Cosmetics is owned by the Sionis family and when Roman took over, he turned it into a criminal empire.

Detective Crispus Allen

The detective who approaches Commissioner Jim Gordon with news of the Parademons abducting S.T.A.R. Labs scientists is Crispus Allen (Kobna Holdbrook-Smith) a regular in the comics who played a key role in Gotham Central. He also eventually became The Spectre.

This one I did catch. Too easy. But fun to envision what it will look like.

Spoiler

A New Hall Of Justice
At the end of the movie, Bruce Wayne decides to finally rebuild Wayne Manor, this time as a base for the Justice League. As he talks about a huge round table that the team can sit around, it's clear this is a reference to the Hall of Justice as that too featured a similar setup for when the League gathered.

Wonder Woman's Father

During the flashbacks to Steppenwolf's initial attack on Earth, we see a number of beings taken aim at the villain and chief among them appears to be Zeus, Wonder Woman's father. His powerful lightning bolts slow Steppenwolf down and Steppenwolf later acknowledges that Diana has the blood of the old Gods flowing through her.

Another Of The Old Gods

Talking of that flashback, one of the many Gods taking aim at Steppenwolf appears to be Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt. She was played by MMA fighter Aurore Lauzeral in the movie and in Greek mythology is actually another of Zeus' daughters. 

ACE Chemicals

As we learned in Suicide Squad, The Joker was born in ACE Chemicals, a company clearly still operating by the time Justice League rolls around as it can be seen in the background of the scene where Batman, the Flash, and Wonder Woman spot the Dark Knight's Batsignal in the sky.

Snyder puts a lot into the details with these movies.

7 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Do you really think it could spike up with the new Pixar film opening this week?  Granted I haven't seen a preview yet for CoCo that makes me want to see that movie, but I bet alot of families will see it, which pulls them from JL.

My theater included the Coco preview before Justice League. A lot of color, interesting characters, and music. It could definitely have an impact.

But it also felt like a rehash of 'The Book of Life'. So I wonder if that could backfire.

47 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Agreed! To bash something you haven't even seen yet seems like uninformed posting. Same thing happened with Batman v Superman where someone disliked Man of Steel, so they were posting to ensure nobody saw BvS because it could be like MoS.

go figure.

One does not need to see a movie to assess, interpret and/or discuss its box office performance, be it good or bad and doing so hardly rises anywhere near to the level of "bashing".

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

5 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

One does not need to see a movie to assess, interpret and/or discuss its box office performance, be it good or bad and doing so hardly rises anywhere near to the level of "bashing".

-J.

Agreed.

Also, I was all-but accused of trolling for simply summarizing a box office analysis posted by a Forbes movie critic who has been cited by many here on these boards for his reliable and cogent analysis of other superhero movies.

Apparently posting facts surrounding Justice League's relative underperformance and a major critics' discussion of potential reasons for it is frowned upon by a few prolific voices here.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

One does not need to see a movie to assess, interpret and/or discuss its box office performance, be it good or bad.

-J.

That is my point exactly.  People's feelings and reviews here, heck even the critics reviews are irrelevant now, and my comments have been mostly directed at critical reception vs crowd response  vs box office.  Not critquing the movie but commenting on the general chatter and what are the implications of that chatter. We are all seeing the same press, and if we remove our fellings from the equation what does that press mean?

Ultimately, all that matters now is how much it cost and how much it makes. JL could prove to have legs, we do not know yet.  It is safe to assume that it is going to have a very hard time fending off Coco, which is projected at $65 to $70 million this coming weekend. Wonder I expect to hold well and get another $15. If JL has a typical drop off adjusted up some for the holiday weekend I could see $50 million.  Then the next 3 weeks to Star Wars is very weak, and the number one spot is up for grabs. But would be shocked if any movie clears $35 million till then. So JL could cost along and do ok during that stretch getting an average of $15 to $20  million per weekend.  But that is just speculation. 

Whatever DC's plans for the future, I really hope they keep Cavill and give him his own movie. He really became Superman in this movie. I would like to see one traditional Superman movie with Cavill in the lead.

33 minutes ago, drotto said:

That is my point exactly.  People's feelings and reviews here, heck even the critics reviews are irrelevant now, and my comments have been mostly directed at critical reception vs crowd response  vs box office.  Not critquing the movie but commenting on the general chatter and what are the implications of that chatter. We are all seeing the same press, and if we remove our fellings from the equation what does that press mean?

Ultimately, all that matters now is how much it cost and how much it makes. JL could prove to have legs, we do not know yet.  It is safe to assume that it is going to have a very hard time fending off Coco, which is projected at $65 to $70 million this coming weekend. Wonder I expect to hold well and get another $15. If JL has a typical drop off adjusted up some for the holiday weekend I could see $50 million.  Then the next 3 weeks to Star Wars is very weak, and the number one spot is up for grabs. But would be shocked if any movie clears $35 million till then. So JL could cost along and do ok during that stretch getting an average of $15 to $20  million per weekend.  But that is just speculation. 

Don't DC movies typically have 65-70% weekend drops (with the exception of WW)?  The holiday might help offset that a bit. 

Also, final weekend numbers are in and it looks like the film actually made $94MM (not $96MM).

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/11/20/justice-league-box-office-opening-weekend/

-J.

10 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Don't DC movies typically have 65-70% weekend drops (with the exception of WW)?  The holiday might help offset that a bit. 

Also, final weekend numbers are in and it looks like the film actually made $94MM (not $96MM).

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/11/20/justice-league-box-office-opening-weekend/

-J.

I was giving a very optimistic hold and calling it a 5 day weekend as opposed to 3 days.  So the 50 is the Wednesday to Sunday number.  But again. It all speculation, I was trying to give the movie the benefit of the doubt. 

54 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Agreed.

Also, I was all-but accused of trolling for simply summarizing a box office analysis posted by a Forbes movie critic who has been cited by many here on these boards for his reliable and cogent analysis of other superhero movies.

Apparently posting facts surrounding Justice League's relative underperformance and a major critics' discussion of potential reasons for it is frowned upon by a few prolific voices here.

Box office results are one thing. Someone going out of their way to detract from a film because they didn't like the director's last film has nothing to do with box office results. Or if someone is going to say this movie would have been so much better if Studio X had done A - B - C, yet they haven't even watched the movie they are critiquing. Seems like broken logic if you can't point to what you experienced as a weak spot.

imo Superman should have been used as the DC Nick Fury, not Batman.  Would make more sense, would have given more time between Bale and the DCEU Batman, and then HE(Batman) could have been the badass big reveal in JL.  He needs to be a young actor, about the same age as Gal Gadot, someone with oodles of acting chops and not yet Super Famous. DC/WB has tried to rush everything, and is doing disservice to their fans and characters.  Absolutely no big name actors should be used for main characters (ie Will Smith, Ben Affleck, etc)

Affleck needs to go ASAP.  I say use Flash/Flashpoint to Retcon all the weak/bad stuff out, and right the ship.  No reboots, have an aggressive alternate reality merging hard retcon, with emotional buy in for the fans.  Id' say just kill this Batman/Affleck, and bring in a young Bruce Wayne from an Alternate reality, and retcon "our" reality so Bruce Wayne is that age here too, and have Old Bruce/Batfleck make a noble sacrifice and gtfo. 

Wonder Woman is the only truly strong Film to date, and all future movies need to be strong self sufficient films like that. 

Edited by CBT