• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

What does everyone think of General Leia? She appeared to be non-Jedi like, and certainly was not dressed like a Jedi. Do you think she never trained to learn her potential? I wonder if that will be explained at all. I mean her father, brother, & son all have that power so I wonder if she will tap into it in future movies. Maybe they will have her flipping around in lightsaber combat like Yoda in AOTC. :eek:

I thought about this too.

She definitely "felt" Han's death through the force...that much was clear. What's unclear is whether or not Luke trained her much or if that was innate.

My thought is that she did study under Luke for a while but didn't study much about lightsabers...instead opting for more tactical abilities that would serve her better as a general. Something like battle meditation. (shrug)

According to the Jedi code they are forbidden from forming attachments such as marriage, romantic love and family. As a wife and mother, I think that explains why Leia didn't go the Jedi route.

Wait a sec.

Who do you think is Rey's father if you believe the Jedi vow is upheld? I doubt Luke upheld the old ways since he saw it was the love he had for his father that redeemed him.

The Jedi were destroyed because they held on to ridiculous outdated beliefs.

It does raise an additional question mark over the assumption she is his daughter, yes.

The best scene in the movie for me was when Luke turned around. Not sure why, but he just looked...right. I enjoyed the film, but was immediately excited for the next one.

I got chills.

It was clear that dude had seen some stuff.

First, I liked this movie, I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Seeing the old characters brought to life again was exciting, as were some of the new characters. I was expecting a 4 1/2 or 5 movie based on the reviews, I have to admit.

But some of the plot holes really derailed portions for me. I caught a few mentioned in the article below. Mastering aspects of the force with no training in a matter of days or even hours reallllyyy bothered me, after the earlier episodes spent so much time on how difficult it was. The fact novices were fighting light sabre duels like anyone could bothered me. Not knowing why Han's son was driven to the dark side, and hated Han, bothered me. And he seemed inept at fighting, despite the fear he has generated within the First Order. The force is spotty with this one. He just seemed like a brat.

Yet another Death Star (the third), bothered me. Solo randomly finding the Falcon was strange and confusing. The sequence with the creatures getting out and then into the Falcon was awkward and hard to follow. Carrie Fisher was too subdued. The whole pieces of maps everywhere thing, then R2D2 suddenly popping up with a piece, was confusing. The grand finale weirdness was the resistance basically taking out Death Star 3 with a couple roadside bombs and laser blasts, after the earlier episodes established grand tension and brinksmanship taking them out.

I don't agree that all of the below-mentioned points are plot holes. Some are picky, and some will be resolved in the other movies I'm sure.

Star Wars was great fun. But you could fly a star cruizer through the plot holes

I don't think Rey is going to end up being Luke's daughter. That's the obvious plot - I have to expect ( and hope ) that they will throw in a twist. The 2nd act will need a surprise like Vader's revelation in Empire - Rey being Luke's daughter won't cut it, IMO.

First, I liked this movie, I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Seeing the old characters brought to life again was exciting, as were some of the new characters. I was expecting a 4 1/2 or 5 movie based on the reviews, I have to admit.

But some of the plot holes really derailed portions for me. I caught a few mentioned in the article below. Mastering aspects of the force with no training in a matter of days or even hours reallllyyy bothered me, after the earlier episodes spent so much time on how difficult it was. The fact novices were fighting light sabre duels like anyone could bothered me. Not knowing why Han's son was driven to the dark side, and hated Han, bothered me. And he seemed inept at fighting, despite the fear he has generated within the First Order. The force is spotty with this one. He just seemed like a brat.

Yet another Death Star (the third), bothered me. Solo randomly finding the Falcon was strange and confusing. The sequence with the creatures getting out and then into the Falcon was awkward and hard to follow. Carrie Fisher was too subdued. The whole pieces of maps everywhere thing, then R2D2 suddenly popping up with a piece, was confusing. The grand finale weirdness was the resistance basically taking out Death Star 3 with a couple roadside bombs and laser blasts, after the earlier episodes established grand tension and brinksmanship taking them out.

I don't agree that all of the below-mentioned points are plot holes. Some are picky, and some will be resolved in the other movies I'm sure.

Star Wars was great fun. But you could fly a star cruizer through the plot holes

Do you not read any of the obvious future plot holes that are already answerd? Especially in bold.

Not sure how anyone with a brain doesn't understand 110% exactly what Disney was trying to do.

Episode VII= train back on the tracks

Going forward.....Episode VIII-infintiy will be brand new.

Allow me to float this theory:

Rey is another virginal birth from the force (like Anakin)

Most assume Snoke is Darth Plagueis and so do I. Palpatine confided to Anakin that Plagueis had the ability to cheat death and create life using the force. If Snoke is truely back from the dead then Palpatine already alluded to him able to come back so this makes some sense. Now perhaps Plaguies wanted to create the perfect apprentice the same way Palpatine/Plagueis manipulated the FORCE and midi-chlorians to birth Anakin.

Rey's awakening and ease to which she 'takes' to the FORCE is obviously very powerful and probably on par or exceeding Anakin/Luke. We assumed she is Luke's daughter because of this. But maybe she isn't really from the Skywalker lineage but created the same way that allowed Anakin to become of the most powerful FORCE adapt in Jedi history. Maybe Plagueis this time around played with the recipe to create Rey into something even more powerful...

Since Luke begins to train Jedi again the return of Plagueis probably, conveniently, happens about the same time (and after Sidious is dead). Plagueis sees the beginning rebirth of the Jedi order and possibly subverts a young Ben Solo as a tool to wipe out the new Jedi. When Luke realizes that a new Sith Lord is working behind the scenes he also discovers the birth of Rey.

I would suggest Kylo/Ben made his move and killed all the young Jedi padawans. This left Luke realing and treading close to looking for revenge.

Perhaps Plagueis is already training Rey as an apprectice but Luke kidnaps Rey as a child to keep her away from Plagueis. Luke maybe even intends to kill her knowing how powerful a foe she can become and hurt Plagueis indirectly. But since she is very young and still an innocent in Luke's eyes, he abandons her somewhere (Jakku) Plagueis can't find her. Also killing her would probably have Luke heading toward the dark side which is probably something he will always struggle with. But she is watched from a distance by Lor San Tekka who reports to Luke on her 'progress'. Luke then disappears to find the lost Jedi temple, contemplate his failures and presumably find a way to defeat Plagueis.

This was the best Star Wars movie since ROTJ hands down!

That said there were let downs that could've made this a 10 out of 10...

Many of these were said

1/ Episode IV redux

2/ Instant Jedi Skills

3/ Lackluster score

My biggest gripe was the lack of flair with Han's death. Maybe the helmet less acting of Adam Driver or the way it was written. This death felt about as non-spectacular as Boba Fett's to me. And by the way I heard a rumor that Boba found a way out of the Sarlacc pit and was going to be in this flick??? silly me for getting jacked by a web rumor...

Boba should've killed Han not some young punk that got his azz whipped by a girl that just picked up a light saber.

Other than that and all that has been said already there were only nit-picky stuff that seemed odd - like why would a storm trooper have a lightsaber battling weapon??? That seemed a little forced (pardon the pun) I mean how many Jedi have these units faced???

Other than all that. This was the movie fan-boys clamored over forever for. A Lucas free film shot by a hot shot director.

Here's my take on Star Wars films:

Episode 7: 8 out of 10!

Episode 6: 8.5 out of 10!

Episode 5: 10 out of 10!

Episode 4: 9 out of 10!

Episode 3: 5.5 out of 10!

Episode 2: 4.5 out of 10!

Episode 1: 3.5 out of 10!

First Order should have been called New Order.

We already have the New Republic.

There's been some speculation already that The First Order is aptly named. The idea of turning an entire planet into a major super weapon could not have happened suddenly with no money etc. It took the Galactic Empire 20+ years to build the Death Stars and god knows how much money (we know this because at the end of III we see them beginning work on the Death Star and it is "finally operational" in IV. Since Luke/Leia were born at the end of III and are around 18/19 at the beginning of IV that's about how long it took to build. Where did the First Order get the resources needed to turn an entire planet into a weapon (and it would take at least 20+ years to do it) So... what if they were another plot by the Sith to destroy the Jedi. Remember, it was Order 66 that turned the clones against the Jedi. What if there were 65 earlier orders designed to do the same thing, and this group, a renegade arm of the Galactic Empire was actually that first order? There job was to build the Starkiller Base. Snoke may have been the man in charge of this plan, and when Palpatine died he realized his opportunity to use the base as a means of seizing control of the galaxy.

Do any parents here have an opinion on how old a kid should be before seeing this movie? My daughter is a little young for it (she turns five in April).

I'm leaning towards waiting until she is about eight to see it. I saw the original movie when I was five, but this one seems a little more intense. It is rated PG13, but I would think most eight-year-olds would be fine at it.

Do any parents here have an opinion on how old a kid should be before seeing this movie? My daughter is a little young for it (she turns five in April).

I'm leaning towards waiting until she is about eight to see it. I saw the original movie when I was five, but this one seems a little more intense. It is rated PG13, but I would think most eight-year-olds would be fine at it.

Hard to say. There not much, if any, graphic violence. I was 6 when I saw a New Hope. I think you are right this one is more intense than that.

Kids do tend to gloss over fine details though, the overall feel of the film might hit them more than any particular scene or sequence.

This was the best Star Wars movie since ROTJ hands down!

That said there were let downs that could've made this a 10 out of 10...

Many of these were said

1/ Episode IV redux

2/ Instant Jedi Skills

3/ Lackluster score

My biggest gripe was the lack of flair with Han's death. Maybe the helmet less acting of Adam Driver or the way it was written. This death felt about as non-spectacular as Boba Fett's to me. And by the way I heard a rumor that Boba found a way out of the Sarlacc pit and was going to be in this flick??? silly me for getting jacked by a web rumor...

Boba should've killed Han not some young punk that got his azz whipped by a girl that just picked up a light saber.

Other than that and all that has been said already there were only nit-picky stuff that seemed odd - like why would a storm trooper have a lightsaber battling weapon??? That seemed a little forced (pardon the pun) I mean how many Jedi have these units faced???

Other than all that. This was the movie fan-boys clamored over forever for. A Lucas free film shot by a hot shot director.

Here's my take on Star Wars films:

Episode 7: 8 out of 10!

Episode 6: 8.5 out of 10!

Episode 5: 10 out of 10!

Episode 4: 9 out of 10!

Episode 3: 5.5 out of 10!

Episode 2: 4.5 out of 10!

Episode 1: 3.5 out of 10!

Boba Fett's armor, but not him, is found in Aftermath on Tatooine, an in-canon novel taking place after Return of the Jedi. It has what one would assume is damage that the Sarlac would have caused.

Re: the stormtrooper training. I don't know, it seems pretty reasonable that a faction led by a dark lord who is trying to exterminate Jedi, among them perhaps the greatest of them, to have at least passing protection if available. I'm unsure if that scene is there just to put Finn in a scene with a lightsaber against someone he could possibly defeat but I don't know, I really never questioned it. These aren't dumb droids these are a post-Empire group that are aware of who they might fight. Also, we don't know where they came from. As I've noted in a previous post, it's possible that the First Order originated outside of the known Galaxy (at least perhaps Snoke) where after Return of the Jedi the bulk of Imperial fleet went to, along with their only remaining Super Star Destroyer. We just don't know. Maybe this is a group that's used to fighting force users we don't know about.

I'm not sure I'm really comfortable about the possible insinuation of "by a girl" but I think that's something purposely left for later. We are going to find out why she is a badass, but I'd suggest we do know even from before that, she knows how to take care of herself and didn't come from a plush life.

Also, please note that Anakin was intuitively using the force as a child to do things humans, much less human children couldn't do. Anakin... was flying a spaceship into battle as an annoying brat.

I expected to see more of Captain Phasma. She seemed a pretty lame character in this film. Maybe she'll be more important in the following ones.

Every SW film needs it's Boba Fett.....badass costume...not much screen time...taken out easily.