• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where to start Dr. Strange?

39 posts in this topic

From the beginning?

I wouldn’t say – after you have perused the classic Lee/Ditko issues (and you can have an idea of the important stories and story arcs by using the Grand Comics Database, which is also fueling MyComicShop's excellent search engine) I’d say a must-have is the #169-183 arc (the first series), a few Marvel Premieres and then the early issues of the second series, at least up to 30.

Then, I’d also strongly recommend Defenders issues of the same period. (thumbs u

From the beginning?

I wouldn’t say – after you have perused the classic Lee/Ditko issues (and you can have an idea of the important stories and story arcs by using the Grand Comics Database, which is also fueling MyComicShop's excellent search engine) I’d say a must-have is the #169-183 arc (the first series), a few Marvel Premieres and then the early issues of the second series, at least up to 30.

Then, I’d also strongly recommend Defenders issues of the same period. (thumbs u

Thanks. I wanted the opinions, because I know sometimes starting at the beginning is not the right way to go. I'm not really a big fan of early Daredevil, but I love the stuff from Smith through Bendis and beyond.

Thanks. I wanted the opinions, because I know sometimes starting at the beginning is not the right way to go. I'm not really a big fan of early Daredevil, but I love the stuff from Smith through Bendis and beyond.

Tastes aside, early Daredevil are probably not representative, as quality is intermittent. I don’t like Bendis at all, but I believe you won’t be disappointed by the classic Dr. Strange.

Also, choosing the early Dr. Strange vol. 2 over Marvel Premiere (which were written by Englehart) is mostly a matter of taste, but they are both good.

After that, when you have sampled vol.2, I’d also suggest the second Strange Tales series (preceeding Dr. Strange vol. 3, the 1990s series) – art sometimes is so-so, but stories are very poignant and show why recent writers does not have a clue on how to write the Doc…

The third series is somewhat varied, early Roy Thomas loses in quality as you go, IMO, but the most drastic change happens when they give the writing to David Quinn, and then ask J.M. DeMatteis to wrap up the mess by returning to a "classic" dimension of Doc (but not quite so).

Afterwards, I have heard good words about The Flight of Bones mini, but the most recent renditions of Dr. Strange (including how Bendis and Hickman used him in the "Avengers") are… :sick:

Not Bronze, so maybe not what you are looking for, but Dr Strange: The Oath is a good spot dip your toes in the water and a short (4 issue) read. From there, once you know the character a little bit, you can dive into the older stuff mentioned here.

Not Bronze, so maybe not what you are looking for, but Dr Strange: The Oath is a good spot dip your toes in the water and a short (4 issue) read. From there, once you know the character a little bit, you can dive into the older stuff mentioned here.

From the little I have seen, it doesn’t feel much like Dr. Strange. But again, aside from Vaughan's skills as a writer (when doing his stuff) it’s a modern book, so to be taken with a grain of salt in respect of the characters' tradition and consistency.

+1 the oath is a great start.

Go with Marvel Premiere 3 to 14 then Dr Strange 1 on up. Brunner classics and the rest are decent anyway.
These are my favorite Dr. Strange stories lovr the artwork and the HP lovecraft type monsters

I like this recommendation as well.

Master of the Mystic Arts is a good series I think. The Strange Tales in the 1980s is good as well, I agree. Sorcerer Supreme has some horrific art in spots but I liked it overall.

But if they have the OGNs like Triumph and Torment, Into Shamballa, PCR's What is it that disturbs you, Dr. Strange or whatever etc. you should read those first chance you get.

Go with Marvel Premiere 3 to 14 then Dr Strange 1 on up. Brunner classics and the rest are decent anyway.
These are my favorite Dr. Strange stories lovr the artwork and the HP lovecraft type monsters

Master of the Mystic Arts is a good series I think. The Strange Tales in the 1980s is good as well, I agree. Sorcerer Supreme has some horrific art in spots but I liked it overall.

But if they have the OGNs like Triumph and Torment, Into Shamballa, PCR's What is it that disturbs you, Dr. Strange or whatever etc. you should read those first chance you get.

Triumph and Torment is great. One of my favorites.

I've always been partial to ASM Annual 14 as well.

Triumph and Torment is great. One of my favorites.

I've always been partial to ASM Annual 14 as well.

...... ASM Annual 14 :cloud9:

..... I'm also surprised that no one has suggested the Mike Golden masterpiece that is Dr. Strange 55 (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A "lovecraftian" atmosphere is also present in the later issues of the first series run by Roy Thomas.

And of course I second Sean's suggestion for "Triumph and Torment", but before that I recommend Annual #1"And there will be worlds anew", also with amazing art by Craig Russell.

Of the 80s stuff, the Roger Stern/Paul Smith issues are terrific.

In fact, I like just about any comic Stern ever wrote.

Good call.

I agree about Stern. A shame Paul Smith never stayed on any comic for very long.

For many years in the 80s and 90s, I worked at a comic store in Bethlehem, PA (Dreamscape Comics). Stern's wife's (I believe her name was Carlita) family was from there, and every time they came to visit, they would stop into the store.

He was extremely nice, always wanted to talk comics, the earlier days of fandom, and what he was working on (whether it was Spider-Man, the Avengers, or Superman).

And he loved comics.

I wish there were more writers like Stern in today's comics.

Hell, I wish Stern was writing more of today's comics.

I just loved when Stern wrote a Spider-Man issue a pair of years ago.

He managed to write it like all the mess they have done hasn’t happened, even taking it into account.

Also, a few more years ago he wrote a two-part story "Something can stop the Juggernaut", which sounded like a breathe of fresh air in the stagnant average "quality" of today’s writing.

I have Iron Man #2 from his collection (with a certificate) and I love knowing it was his copy… :cloud9: