• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

appreciate your opinion- how much does centering and wrap affect value?

90 posts in this topic

I've found that comics without staples are particularly prone to centering issues. The one pictured below is a good example. The 9.4=$120, 9.6=$220 and the 9.8=$500.

Which would you add to your collection?

AA7_9.4_zpsq2jpwzaa.jpg

AA7_9.6_zpsfmlaadhq.jpg

AA7_9.8_zpsubgzfvqj.jpg

All three of these have a similar misrwrap. The 9.4 is just photographed at an angle to minimize the appearance of it.

And if money is no object then obviously the 9.8 is the copy to get.

-J.

I've found that comics without staples are particularly prone to centering issues. The one pictured below is a good example. The 9.4=$120, 9.6=$220 and the 9.8=$500.

AA7_9.4_zpsq2jpwzaa.jpg

AA7_9.6_zpsfmlaadhq.jpg

AA7_9.8_zpsubgzfvqj.jpg

All three of these have a similar misrwrap. The 9.4 is just photographed at an angle to minimize the appearance of it.

-J.

:roflmao:

Put down the crack pipe and look again.

-J.

What the..? The 9.4 is actually photographed from the side of the spine, which means if it were photographed/scanned straight-on as the other two were, you would see even less white. If they were trying to minimize it, the shot would've been taken from the other side. Bizarre.

SuperZar illustrated exactly what I meant, though, thanks! 9.4 wins for me all day long.

AA7_9.4_zpsq2jpwzaa.jpg

AA7_9.6_zpsfmlaadhq.jpg

AA7_9.8_zpsubgzfvqj.jpg

-J.

funny-cat-with-eyeglasses.jpg

AA7_9.4_zpsq2jpwzaa.jpg

AA7_9.6_zpsfmlaadhq.jpg

AA7_9.8_zpsubgzfvqj.jpg

-J.

Yes, Troll, you're absolutely right. That 9.4 slab isn't photographed at an angle or a tilt all, and the wrap is perfectly straight and even. :eyeroll:

:gossip: And FYI the 9.6 is actually a mis-cut.

-J.

Personally I prefer no miswrap with perfect center but as long as centering is perfect with white strip even down the book (minimum white strip), I have no problem with it.

Now I do have a problem with extreme miswraps that show an uneven white stripe.

To me those are just plain ugly and I want no part of them.

Avengers 9.6 unacceptable.

I have no problem with the others but would prefer to buy a 9.8 that looks like the 9.4 if I'm willing to pay for it.

-J.

What the..? The 9.4 is actually photographed from the side of the spine, which means if it were photographed/scanned straight-on as the other two were, you would see even less white. If they were trying to minimize it, the shot would've been taken from the other side. Bizarre.

Exactly.

Jaydogrules has a very... tenuous grasp on reality... at best.

-J.

Exactly.

So then stop constantly trolling my posts and stick to being the peanut gallery for your alter ego usernames.

Holy bejeebus get a life man. doh!

-J.

Those books actually do have staples. They're just inside the book, punched in from the top. And the cover is glued overtop of them. :gossip:

I'm not sure about a % premium, but I am a centering freak enthusiast and it definitely affects whether I will buy/bid or not, so, in that sense, it can have an impact on price. I routinely pass on books I want because of this issue and may go after a book aggressively if I think the centering is very accurate.

I agree, I am much the same way when I shop. I would probably go 0.5 less in grade for a well-centered copy rather than a miswrap with a lot of white showing.

-J.

Exactly.

So then stop constantly trolling my posts and stick to being the peanut gallery for your alter ego usernames.

Holy bejeebus get a life man. doh!

-J.

Personal squabbles aside, he's right about the wrap on the 9.4. Yes, the comic is photographed at an angle. However, the wrap is still quite a bit better than on the 9.6 or the 9.8

+1

But for aesthetics rather than obscuring defects.

I really like books with a very narrow, even, white line at the spine.

Another excuse to pull out my copy of my all-time favourite Neal Adams book, and kick-arse Bronze Age classic...

7023495519_9150168996_b_d.jpg

+1

Another excuse to pull out my copy of my all-time favourite Neal Adams book, and kick-arse Bronze Age classic...

Me too, lovely book Paul.

+1

I agree. I've always liked that thin strip of white along the spine, as long as it was straight and not diagonal.