• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age works of Jack Kirby

48 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:03 AM, jaeldubyoo said:

I think that whoever inked Kirby's work during that period also helped defined the look. Mike Royer was the principal inker of Kirby's Fourth World. What would have the Kirby art looked like if old school inkers like Joe Sinnott had inked it?

True. That said, it wasn't until Mike Royer that people saw pure Kirby- Except for when the King inked himself, of course. Mike inked what Kirby drew, without adding any hint of his own style. It was loaded with his technique, but as someone very familiar with his solo work, there is no hint of MR in Kirby's work. Which, in a way, is a hint of MR in Kirby's work lol

D. Bruce Berry inked Kirby in the same fashion, but it just wasn't as clean and sharp, I think.

It really is funny when you see the criticism (not in his thread) of Kirby's work after HE hired Mike, because they're essentially criticizing Kirby's work.

:foryou: Pardon the resurrection (no, not him).

I consider New Gods to be the best of Kirby’s 70s work, but the entirety of the 4  Fourth World titles is good throughout. And gets better with each re reading.

To this day, when DC needs a bigger canvas, they continue to mine the incredibly rich vein Kirby gave them.  

I'm one of the few people who think the non-Kirby revival of The New Gods was an improvement. His ideas were brilliant, but I'm not a fan of the execution or the art.

The dialogue is poorly  written, as well. For all his brilliance, he needed a collaborative partnership to succeed, in my opinion.  Without Joe Simon and later Stan Lee,  his work  is a magnitude below his work with them.

I wish someone would take Kirbys Fourth World and apply " the Marvel method" to them..

Edited by shadroch

7 hours ago, shadroch said:

I wish someone would take Kirbys Fourth World and apply " the Marvel method" to them..

I can't wait to read the story where Orion's frail and timid teenage alter ego (Orville Ryan) catches a cold, and can't return to his after-school job at the local planetarium to pick up his Mother Box (disguised as a Texas Instruments pocket calculator), which could cure him and transform his physique once again into the mighty scourge of Apokolips. Then he could soliloquize about cruel fate and man's inhumanity to man from the top of a frosty, windswept mountain in Tibet while eating wheatcakes and waiting for his Orion suit to come back from the dry-cleaners...

:eyeroll:  :foryou:  :bigsmile:

Edited by jools&jim

3 hours ago, jools&jim said:

I can't wait to read the story where Orion's frail and timid teenage alter ego (Orville Ryan) catches a cold, and can't return to his after-school job at the local planetarium to pick up his Mother Box (disguised as a Texas Instruments pocket calculator), which could cure him and transform his physique once again into the mighty scourge of Apokolips. Then he could soliloquize about cruel fate and man's inhumanity to man from the top of a frosty, windswept mountain in Tibet while eating wheatcakes and waiting for his Orion suit to come back from the dry-cleaners...

:eyeroll:  :foryou:  :bigsmile:

Sounds like a sequel to Tom King's recent Mister Miracle series.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:03 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I saw this on eBay Australia of all places. They're copies, but still may be of interest to a budding Kirby collector:

I am the seller of those listings. :bigsmile: I have around individual 250 Xerox sheets like those posted. All different. 

If anyone wants to make me an offer for some or all of them, let me know, there's a great mix of characters, animals, gadgets and ships; even a few of Superman for the Superfriends show and many more which I haven't shown photos of.

I'm able to post anywhere in the world, I could even do a swap if anyone wanted to.

@Unca Ben @KirbyJack @MR SigS @Ken Aldred

IMG_6990.JPG

Edited by Collectr