• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL I DO IS WIN! Post your eBay wins here
9 9

1,051 posts in this topic

I wonder if t***b(437)
is a member here.
So far I've been embarrassed on two losses.
I already have 9.4 and 9.6 versions of both so I didn't really feel the need to get crazy.  a 9.6 and 9.8 would have been nice.
Someone else must be desperate though, I can't win anything even when over-bidding.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Doctor-Strange-172-CGC-9-6-OW-W-vs-Dormammu-2nd-Highest-Graded-/232626689834?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-PREMIERE-Doctor-Strange-14-CGC-9-8-WP-Marvel-Infinity-War-Mystic-Arts-/253362806227

Edited by 90sChild

13 hours ago, 1Cool said:
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, lizards2 said:

There is some dirt cheap stuff on eBay if you have the time to root around and stay vigilant!  :shy:

It definitely helps if you are buying stuff a very select few are collecting and they are not remotely key books.  Thought a I had a shot at a nice set of Spawn 1 - 250 but got blown out at the last second.

That's a polite way of saying "what you collect sucks!"  lol

15 hours ago, 90sChild said:

I wonder if t***b(437)
is a member here.
So far I've been embarrassed on two losses.
I already have 9.4 and 9.6 versions of both so I didn't really feel the need to get crazy.  a 9.6 and 9.8 would have been nice.
Someone else must be desperate though, I can't win anything even when over-bidding.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Doctor-Strange-172-CGC-9-6-OW-W-vs-Dormammu-2nd-Highest-Graded-/232626689834?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-PREMIERE-Doctor-Strange-14-CGC-9-8-WP-Marvel-Infinity-War-Mystic-Arts-/253362806227

Don't think he/she overbid on any of these. He/she actually paid FMV compared to GPA.

What does GPA say?  My experiencing hunting them the past 5 years they should have sold closer to $300 and $200 respectively, so 15-20% over.  

Only 14 on census for #172 and 2 for #14, so I'm not sure it really matters what GPA says to be honest.  Prices make less and less sense as you go from 9.6 to 9.8 with that kind of rarity.

Edited by 90sChild

On 1/17/2018 at 2:41 PM, lizards2 said:

Yes - all labels are kept - I slip them in behind the Fullback and the Mylite2, so that you can just flip the book over and see that it was once CGC fondled.  I probably only crack out about 85% of the slabs I buy, for a variety of reasons, including that I can tell (once in hand) that they are gift-graded or have other problems.  Others I don't crack out because, for example, it's a Mile High, etc.

On a lot of books it is really tough to see damage through the outer well.  The "Oh S***!!" moment usually occurs when the outer well is removed, and I wished I hadn't deslabbed.  Nothing like finding a 9.0 in a 9.4 CGC case, but it happens with some frequency. :eyeroll: 

I only buy books through the mail, so in hand examination before purchase is a no-go for me.  I don't think I've been to a real comic shop or comic convention since CGC was born.

I recently bought a midgrade SA slab because it was cheaper in grade than I could find raw for a run I'm putting together, but now that I have it I'm a bit hesitant to try freeing it from its plastic home... any links to a "how-to" vid you can recommend (old CGC case)?  My main fear is the plastic somehow splintering and tearing into the book, or the label (which I'd also want to preserve at the back of a Mylar).

Edited by smithdatura

2 minutes ago, smithdatura said:

I recently bought a midgrade SA slab because it was cheaper in grade than I could find raw for a run I'm putting together, but now that I have it I'm a bit hesitant to try freeing it from its plastic home... any links to a "how-to" vid you can recommend (old CGC case).  My main fear is the plastic somehow splintering and tearing into the book, or the label (which I'd also want to preserve at the back of a Mylar).

The old ones are easy, if you're not talking about the newer old ones with just the mylar sheets for an inner well - just pop the outer well at the sides - stick your fingers in at the center and pop them apart.  If this is too tough, use a standard blade screw-driver or paint key to pry open at the posts.

Remove the inner well from outer well.  Carefully cut the edges of the inner well with some good scissors, inside the weld across the top of the book, then down the side where the books open edge is.  Separate those two seams all the way.  Carefully pull the book out through the corner, making sure it doesn't catch or scratch.

Sorry - I don't have a video, but I'm sure you could google one.

27 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Recently won a bargain, DC Comics Presents #26 (NM) and Defenders #1(VF) 

Love the auctions on eBay around 4-5pm my time which is late in the states, depending what city,not much bidding activity.

Put up the photos!

On 1/18/2018 at 7:09 PM, october said:

Legit. Tracking number just stopped halfway through. May show up, we will see.

This may sound strange, but you might give this a try:

Go onto the USPS tracking page and click on the tab that requests e-mail notifications for your item.  I've had items that I was sure were lost and had "disappeared", but for some reason, withing 24 hours of requesting e-mail notification, they appeared back in the system, and continued along to their destination.  

I don't know why it works, but it has for me, and others as well.

21 hours ago, WeR138 said:

Go onto the USPS tracking page and click on the tab that requests e-mail notifications for your item.  I've had items that I was sure were lost and had "disappeared", but for some reason, withing 24 hours of requesting e-mail notification, they appeared back in the system, and continued along to their destination.  

Ok. I will give it a shot! 

On 1/20/2018 at 4:04 PM, october said:
On 1/19/2018 at 6:47 PM, WeR138 said:

Ok. I will give it a shot! 

If you register yourself and address on the USPS website, you can have them send you emails for anything with your name/address that has tracking info.

You have to set it up when setting up your account and you can change the settings in case you find it a little more active than needed (same types of options as you find if you were looking up a single tracking item).

This happens automatically-- even if your seller fails to load it into ebay or fails to communicate with you the tracking number. It will give you tracking at each point along the way-- so you might want to set it to an email specifically for monitoring your mail. But it is great and lets you know when something is "out for delivery" and even delivered. No more packages sitting around that you didn't realize were sitting there. And it works for ANY mail sent to you with tracking-- so even items from other places will trigger an email.

I've had this set up for a couple of years and it is a great way to keep track of what is being sent to me-- even things I had no idea were being sent (gifts, prizes, etc).