• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,168 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I turned down an offer without countering just because of this message using the word, "bro."

For some reason, this message made my head hurt.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 2.43.26 PM.png

"I'll pay ASAP"

Always love that one, bro.

Just now, Jimbo749 said:

"Hey man" is ok, but "bro" is a no-go?

lol - Could not explain it really.   I read the message and instantly rolled my eyes and clicked decline before I even considered it. 

I've done that before.  I have actually accepted a lower offer on something based upon someone's note.  

29 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

lol - Could not explain it really.   I read the message and instantly rolled my eyes and clicked decline before I even considered it. 

I've done that before.  I have actually accepted a lower offer on something based upon someone's note.  

Haha, I'm actually glad to hear that. As a buyer, I try to write a "real" note when giving an offer (usually around why I think it's fair based on past Ebay sales, etc.) - but more than that, just writing a reasonable note that doesn't make me seem like "a crazy". I often wondered if that helped my hit rate on offers - I assume the main reason is that I offer a reasonable fair price, but I like to think the note does add "some" value

1 minute ago, CKinTO said:

Haha, I'm actually glad to hear that. As a buyer, I try to write a "real" note when giving an offer (usually around why I think it's fair based on past Ebay sales, etc.) - but more than that, just writing a reasonable note that doesn't make me seem like "a crazy". I often wondered if that helped my hit rate on offers - I assume the main reason is that I offer a reasonable fair price, but I like to think the note does add "some" value

Yeeeeeah... well, when someone tells me what they believe is 'fair' I usually don't counter and say, "I appreciate your interest but I am comfortable with the price point that I have currently set for this item."  Almost everything and I mean ALMSOT everything eventually sells at the price it is listed for.  

Again I had someone tell me what they believed a 'fair' price would be last week with a piece of jewelry that I had listed for $95 straight BIN

• Buyer 1 - Can you provide a few extra measurements (Measurements were listed but ... fine).  
  • Buyer 1 - Will you take $65 ?
  • Buyer 1 - Will you take $70 ? Also starts to tell me what she feels a 'fair price is and why $95 is too much' 
  • Buyer 1 - Will you take $80 ? Also says that if she feels 'it's just not right she will return it"
  • Buyer 1 - Writes long lengthy not why she should be able to get it for less since it would make her "happy" since she cannot afford $95. 
  • I consult the relative who realizes that the piece is underpriced so I raise it $20 to $115
  • Buyer 1 - Will you honor the original price of $95 ? 
  • At this point I have her blocked from sales.
  • Buyer 1 - writes that she was going to pay the $115 but it seems she is blocked.
  • Buyer 1 - A week later Please take me off block I really want it and I promise I won't return it for silly reasons. 

Buyer 2 comes in a week later and hits the BIN and it is shipped.  That was a couple of days ago and I am SURE Buyer 1 will write me again at some point about something.  How do I know this?  I handle a second eBay account for a close relative.  She did the same thing over there as well where she is also blocked.

42 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeeeeeah... well, when someone tells me what they believe is 'fair' I usually don't counter and say, "I appreciate your interest but I am comfortable with the price point that I have currently set for this item."  Almost everything and I mean ALMSOT everything eventually sells at the price it is listed for. 

Haha, well, I'm sure there are lots of buyers out there that give ridiculous offers, but I do feel when I make an offer, I try to justify why it's fair, other than a non-sensical "it's too much", or "I can't afford that much", or "I think it's a fair price". For slabs, it'll typically be pointing to recent Ebay sales for same grade/page quality, and then trying to find a reasonable middle-ground (usually, if there's a slab with BIN and Offer available, they've usually priced the BIN at above recent sales given they expect some negotiation with the offer). With raws, I'll usually point to what graded sales for an estimated grade go for, and then factor in grading costs / risks to what a reasonable price should be.

That being said, I don't begrudge sellers who would rather hold at their price point. Sellers have different motivations - some have a ton of books that they want to offload more quickly (and thus, are ok selling at FMV or even slightly below FMV), and some are in no hurry to sell and would only want to if they can get a "fulsome" price.

1 hour ago, CKinTO said:

Haha, well, I'm sure there are lots of buyers out there that give ridiculous offers, but I do feel when I make an offer, I try to justify why it's fair, other than a non-sensical "it's too much", or "I can't afford that much", or "I think it's a fair price". For slabs, it'll typically be pointing to recent Ebay sales for same grade/page quality, and then trying to find a reasonable middle-ground (usually, if there's a slab with BIN and Offer available, they've usually priced the BIN at above recent sales given they expect some negotiation with the offer). With raws, I'll usually point to what graded sales for an estimated grade go for, and then factor in grading costs / risks to what a reasonable price should be.

That being said, I don't begrudge sellers who would rather hold at their price point. Sellers have different motivations - some have a ton of books that they want to offload more quickly (and thus, are ok selling at FMV or even slightly below FMV), and some are in no hurry to sell and would only want to if they can get a "fulsome" price.

There is no such thing as fair and reasonable when you are discussing what basically boils down to paying anything above old newsprint.   I usually immediately dismiss anyone who launches into quoting what they feel is a fair price.  I know a LOT of other people that have the same mentality even on these boards and it has been discussed in private but will probably not publicly say it.  What is fair and reasonable to one is usually overpriced or in some cases undervalued to another.   That's why when it comes to the stuff I am offering, I am comfortable with the price point I have it listed at.   If it sells, then great.  If it doesn't then it eventually will whether it happens in a few weeks or a few months or even a few years. 

Edited by Buzzetta

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I turned down an offer without countering just because of this message using the word, "bro."

For some reason, this message made my head hurt.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 2.43.26 PM.png

Hey man, if you didn't like my offer you could have at least left a note when you declined it, bro.

23 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Ha, ok. Because I get those. I'm sure a lot of people do!

I love to respond "I'm not that in need of immediate payment but I do ship immediately so please consider my much higher counter offer".

Edited by 1Cool

43 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There is no such thing as fair and reasonable when you are discussing what basically boils down to paying anything above old newsprint.   I usually immediately dismiss anyone who launches into quoting what they feel is a fair price.  I know a LOT of other people that have the same mentality even on these boards and it has been discussed in private but will probably not publicly say it.  What is fair and reasonable to one is usually overpriced or in some cases undervalued to another.   That's why when it comes to the stuff I am offering, I am comfortable with the price point I have it listed at.   If it sells, then great.  If it doesn't then it eventually will whether it happens in a few weeks or a few months or even a few years. 

While I get your underlying point that there's no inherently theoretical  "fair" price for a collectible (like there is, for example in a stock or bond investment (eg. present value of future cash flows)), I do think for books that transact fairly frequently, the best alternative is past sale prices. Otherwise, you're basically arguing that GPA is irrelevant, and again while I agree that an argument can be made there (and agree it is different than a stock market), given a large % of people buying/selling slabs use GPA as a baseline for FMV, I think many people would use that as a starting point for "fair and reasonable".

That being said, every seller has the right to price however they wish, and as I mentioned, I never begrudge a seller if they don't want to sell at "GPA-like" prices - if they're ok with waiting around until a buyer hits their asking price, good on them.