• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,168 posts in this topic

So I have finally been invited to managed payments. Is there any reason why this should not be a business account now? I am currently a private/personal account. I may not be a $20k this year, but if the $600 is a done deal i def am.

Nobody had thoughts when ebay asked whether to classify as a private seller vs. A business? I wonder if I say business whether that would mean I need to do quarterly taxes vs. Just doing a schedule c as a sole proprietor. I think it would be easier to claim business expenses come tax time though, but I guess they'll want my SS number 

Coming to vent here, because my wife is tired of hearing about it.

I've been selling on eBay for 25 years, and there's no question that the average IQ of the buyer pool seems to be circling the drain even as the sense of entitlement is inflating dramatically.

I've now had this happen a couple of times in the last couple of months:

I have an item listed BIN w/ BO. Buyer makes a lowball, I decline. Buyer comes up a bit, I make a reasonable counter. Do this two more times, with the buyer making their final offer, saying "this really is the highest I can go." I mull it over, decide that I'm making a healthy profit regardless, and I could use the cash for something I'd like to buy, so I agree to the deal. Then...crickets.

The most recent example was last week. I finally agreed to the offer, I send a combined invoice, and buyer thanks me for accepting the offer, and he can probably pay me in two weeks.

So, that's an automatic cancelation, and block, on my end.

I just don't get it. What kind of nerve do you have to have to beg and wheedle someone to sell you something that you can't even afford to buy in the first place? If I can't afford to pay for something right away, I sure as hell am not making an offer on it!

Ok, thanks for the chance to gripe.

that stuff is always going on, even on Facebook marketplace. people want 50% discounts, I get paid in two weeks can you hold it, I just got divorced and don't have any money, I think your a dummy and will sell it to me for nothing. Heard it all. I go back and forth with people all the time, and like you say, crickets chirping constantly.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I just don't get it. What kind of nerve do you have to have to beg and wheedle someone to sell you something that you can't even afford to buy in the first place? If I can't afford to pay for something right away, I sure as hell am not making an offer on it!

Newsflash: other people are tosspots. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Newsflash: other people are tosspots. 

Ha, yeah, I'm familiar with the shortcomings of my fellow man, but still, the gall? You know? This sort of thing never used to be an issue, but now it's all the time. The problem here is that with BIN, you can "require immediate payment with BIN", but I guess if you accept an offer, that particular checkbox doesn't trigger. There needs to be an option where if the buyer accepts the offer, they have to pay immediately. Or if that IS an option already, I've not found it. 

People!

On 4/15/2021 at 12:45 AM, kav said:

I bought an item from China and after i bought it there's no tracking just an expected delivery date of 1-3 months later.  Its been 2 1/2 months-how can I file a refund if ebay only does refunds before 30 days?  any help appreciated.

If you paid through PayPal, I think their buyer protection is good for 180 days so maybe go through them or your bank. Policies change so frequently now that I’m not even sure anymore.

23 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Coming to vent here, because my wife is tired of hearing about it.

I've been selling on eBay for 25 years, and there's no question that the average IQ of the buyer pool seems to be circling the drain even as the sense of entitlement is inflating dramatically.

I've now had this happen a couple of times in the last couple of months:

I have an item listed BIN w/ BO. Buyer makes a lowball, I decline. Buyer comes up a bit, I make a reasonable counter. Do this two more times, with the buyer making their final offer, saying "this really is the highest I can go." I mull it over, decide that I'm making a healthy profit regardless, and I could use the cash for something I'd like to buy, so I agree to the deal. Then...crickets.

The most recent example was last week. I finally agreed to the offer, I send a combined invoice, and buyer thanks me for accepting the offer, and he can probably pay me in two weeks.

So, that's an automatic cancelation, and block, on my end.

Ok, thanks for the chance to gripe.

I have the best all time story of this.  Buyer made offer, I accepted.  Sent invoice.  Then he responded, no I dont want it I just wanted to know if you'd accept that offer-

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I have the best all time story of this.  Buyer made offer, I accepted.  Sent invoice.  Then he responded, no I dont want it I just wanted to know if you'd accept that offer-

Wish I could say I was surprised, but nothing surprises me anymore!

18 hours ago, F For Fake said:

People!

Here we go TripleF, just so you know that England has its fair share of eBay tosspots too.

I ordered a comic for research purposes - nothing too expensive - and the seller had quite a bit of poor feedback for packing. So I bought it thinking it would be great from the research perspective (it was) but also to see what the packing job would be like. This is what I received:

2_LI.jpg.8143ce737e1ef21b521d023343727e1f.jpg

The 'envelope' was a reused flimsy bag, crudely taped with little bits and bobs of tape which, of course, broke free in transit. The cardboard was a bit of a mess and performed the opposite function desired for fairly obvious reasons.

And there was, inexplicably, a 'free' CD enclosed which also did its best to damage the comic.

The Postman handed it to me with the comic and CD hanging out with a faintly bemused look on his face.

The conclusion I draw from this is that some people - not all - but a large number of people are dim in the extreme. The only thing the seller didn't do was include a free open tin of molasses.

So I repeat: People are tosspots

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Here we go TripleF, just so you know that England has its fair share of eBay tosspots too.

I ordered a comic for research purposes - nothing too expensive - and the seller had quite a bit of poor feedback for packing. So I bought it thinking it would be great from the research perspective (it was) but also to see what the packing job would be like. This is what I received:

2_LI.jpg.8143ce737e1ef21b521d023343727e1f.jpg

The 'envelope' was a reused flimsy bag, crudely taped with little bits and bobs of tape which, of course, broke free in transit. The cardboard was a bit of a mess and performed the opposite function desired for fairly obvious reasons.

And there was, inexplicably, a 'free' CD enclosed which also did its best to damage the comic.

The Postman handed it to me with the comic and CD hanging out with a faintly bemused look on his face.

The conclusion I draw from this is that some people - not all - but a large number of people are dim in the extreme. The only thing the seller didn't do was include a free open tin of molasses.

So I repeat: People are tosspots

Wow! That is some Olympic level numbskullery. Like, you have to WORK pretty hard to do something that poorly, you know?

10 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Wow! That is some Olympic level numbskullery. Like, you have to WORK pretty hard to do something that poorly, you know?

Maddening isn't it. Why people think this is acceptable is beyond me. To think a delicate item like a comic will not be damaged if packed this way. You can only assume that they are just plain thick (unlike their choice of cardboard). The only thicker person, perhaps, is me for buying from them in the first place. 

I pack my stuff so well it's ridiculous (but not so well that you can't open the damn thing). Multiple sheets of strong corrugated card, the comic in a bag sellotaped to the oversize board and then sandwiched, a strong card outer envelope. I do that for 99p purchases. You can't advertise a book in a certain condition and then post it in a way that will seriously reduce that condition. The only other mystery I suppose is why these types of sellers always seem to have generally good feedback. I think people are afraid or retaliatory action maybe. 

Fortunately, condition isn't key for research books, but it still rankles to see how badly some people pack their sales. 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

...The 'envelope' was a reused flimsy bag, crudely taped with little bits and bobs of tape which, of course, broke free in transit. The cardboard was a bit of a mess and performed the opposite function desired for fairly obvious reasons.

The Postman handed it to me with the comic and CD hanging out with a faintly bemused look on his face...

You get what you deserve. :baiting:

On 4/18/2021 at 8:06 PM, the blob said:

Nobody had thoughts when ebay asked whether to classify as a private seller vs. A business? I wonder if I say business whether that would mean I need to do quarterly taxes vs. Just doing a schedule c as a sole proprietor. I think it would be easier to claim business expenses come tax time though, but I guess they'll want my SS number 

I guess I am selling too much not to be a business. But it isn't like I'm not getting charged sales tax anymore, right?