• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,178 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2023 at 12:14 AM, Aman619 said:

but, Michael Keaton was a burnt out shell.  Retreating from life.  Suddenly Flash appears and he gets out there again. And dies a hero (sort of sine they lost to Zod.   But, there are millions of earths, and lots of them probably have the Michael Keaton version.  no harm done.  Its not like they killed him in his Batman movies

I dont think this Batman dying was in any way a big reason the movie didnt work for many people, right?  A bigger reason could be "why does a Flash movie NEED a Batman in it in the first place.... or a rehashing of the Zod story?"

Have you read or watched the animated Flashpoint movie? It very much was a team event, while also hitting on how Barry changing elements of the past could mess with established events.

So the Battle of Metropolis very much made sense. The cutting out of Henry Cavill due to Gunn tampering to build his universe - along with forcing George Clooney instead of what was planned (a setup for Crisis) is what made the film a throwaway experience. It could have been much more impactful as planned.

I watched it for a second time but now on Max.

Although I dislike the tampering in the end from the new DC regime, it's a decent interpretation of Flashpoint - but unfortunately without a purpose. I can see how they were setting up Crisis On Infinite Earths as the destination point.

The post-credits scene to demonstrate at least on this new Earth Arthur Curry exists and remains consistent didn't add much. Other than Momoa was still a part of this DCU.

Kid Flash as the villain was a good twist too. And the lesson learned Barry should have listened to Ben Affleck's Batman was fitting to the story (and Flashpoint concept).

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/23/2023 at 7:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

So, he was under the impression that he was filming something completely different than the end product? Wow.

On 11/23/2023 at 8:27 PM, bentbryan said:

That’s not what he said.  

So at the 1:10-30 mark, he's not talking about how he was simply trying to act out him witnessing a dying universe that eventually turned into him fighting a giant spider?

Am I misunderstanding that part of the video?

On 11/23/2023 at 3:36 PM, VintageComics said:

So, he was under the impression that he was filming something completely different than the end product? Wow.

On 11/23/2023 at 7:27 PM, bentbryan said:

That’s not what he said.  

On 11/23/2023 at 11:32 PM, VintageComics said:

So at the 1:10-30 mark, he's not talking about how he was simply trying to act out him witnessing a dying universe that eventually turned into him fighting a giant spider?

How is this even debatable?  We have the video evidence!  He was there to film one thing and the end product was completely different.  He even discusses whether it was AI or CGI that was used to alter it.  

On 11/24/2023 at 12:32 AM, VintageComics said:

Actually my bad, I misunderstood what he meant about the spider/ end of universe. This is what happens when you go on a message board after Turkey dinner, IPAs and bourbon 🥃 :wavingwhiteflag:

On 11/24/2023 at 12:18 PM, Nick Furious said:

How is this even debatable?  We have the video evidence!  He was there to film one thing and the end product was completely different.  He even discusses whether it was AI or CGI that was used to alter it.  

I thought I was losing my mind for a second. lol

THIS is why people should be allowed to talk things through, because had we cut the convo or a group derailed it with an argument, we'd just be left at odds. 

I thought the tributes were cool but I would never watch that movie otherwise. Is it worth the watch?

I wanted to see if there was a superhero movie I was unfamiliar and hit MAX (aka HBO) and saw THE FLASH and noted 2023 as the date. Thought...hmmm...OK.

I am just about halfway thru and enjoying this immensely. It feels like those goofy Checkerboard/GoGo Checks SA DC comics and is just what I was looking for. I'll check in later to fill in my final assessment.

*** BACK ***

So I finished watching it and, overall, liked it quite a bit. I am not a huge fan of movies based on time manipulation, mainly because they are often cliche and somewhat obvious. This one took me on a fine ride and held my attention. I loved Sasha Calle as Kara. Really like the way they brought her in and loved the 'tude. I do hope to see her reprise the role, of course on a different timeline. There were some fun moments with the Lasso of Truth that actually made me chuckle. Initially I was taken aback with seeing the older versions of some heroes in cameo but mainly because it was so unexpected and rather jarring. In retrospect I will like them better on subsequent viewings.

I have gotten to the point with the MCU of adding them to my favorites but not getting around to watching them. Well, except for WEREWOLF BY NIGHT (love both the B&W and color versions). I shall be exploring more of DC in hopes of more fun. I think next up will be Shazam! Fury of the Gods!

Edited by PovertyRow

On 9/26/2023 at 12:34 PM, SkOw said:

The Flash Movie Suffers Worst Box Office Flop In DCEU Superhero History

https://thedirect.com/article/the-flash-movie-box-office-flop-dceu-superhero

Weird that immediately following That Headline comes this:

The Flash was one of the biggest box office flops in DCEU superhero history.

So what's it gonna be? The worst or one of the worst ? These writers make me embarrassed to have been a writer.

Edited by PovertyRow

On 12/26/2023 at 3:34 PM, PovertyRow said:
On 11/23/2023 at 4:36 PM, VintageComics said:

Honestly, that is not a new thing, especially in these times of AI and CGI..

My point was directed at the intent of the people involved.

If the director or producer can change the intended purpose of the artist entirely from what it was originally intended to be then that is very disturbing. 

On 12/26/2023 at 12:48 PM, VintageComics said:

My point was directed at the intent of the people involved.

If the director or producer can change the intended purpose of the artist entirely from what it was originally intended to be then that is very disturbing. 

Again not uncommon. A finished film goes through so many iterations from editing to sound to editing again to studio input to after focus input back to editing an sound and director input and scenes can end up quite different than originally storyboarded/scripted. I'm sure there is a clause in most contracts allowing the studio et al to make changes as they see fit. A seasoned actor like Cage should not be surprised at this.

On 12/26/2023 at 4:31 PM, PovertyRow said:

Again not uncommon. A finished film goes through so many iterations from editing to sound to editing again to studio input to after focus input back to editing an sound and director input and scenes can end up quite different than originally storyboarded/scripted. I'm sure there is a clause in most contracts allowing the studio et al to make changes as they see fit. A seasoned actor like Cage should not be surprised at this.

The point you quoted earlier came out of a discussion that spanned various threads, and the point I was specifically making was about how corporate influence affects the final artform. 

I think audiences are surprised at this. I am. 

On 12/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, VintageComics said:

The point you quoted earlier came out of a discussion that spanned various threads, and the point I was specifically making was about how corporate influence affects the final artform. 

I think audiences are surprised at this. I am. 

Just tell that to Orson Welles! (Italics in above quote mine)

As regards audience members, some aren't even aware a film is comprised of mostly 2-5 seconds clips all stitched together with sound providing the audience a sense of continuity. Anyone who doubts that can put on a movie and count the number of seconds before a scene changes. It is why the "long take" is often cited in reviews and reactions, as they are so uncommon.