• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

In addition to sets/runs previously posted, while there were not a lot of surprises, here are the individual books I was particularly pleased to find...Here are the Top 5 single issue finds. There are several books in the $10 to $20+ range, like ASM #529, Uncanny X-Men #509, Batman #638, 657...

Sidebar on the Old Man Logan, only 2 stinking issues to have the whole run, the last two, #71 and #72.

Defenders.jpg

GL.jpg

Hulk.jpg

Old Man Logan.jpg

wonder woman.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Nice group with the lots...I must have at least 2 or 3 Spider Man sets I can throw together....what are you asking on those?  I think I was going to put them out at $2/pop for the run.

Edited by spreads

5 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Ok, so making good progress on sorting...I have dubbed this collection "the working man's lot" lol

Here is an example of the sets I have been able to put together so far.  There are a few mini's under some of the piles and a few more off to the side...I think I have around 35 sets built. The big ones are complete Orion #1 - #25 and Batman and Outsiders #1 - #32 and Annual #1.

There are several more I could make but just missing one or two issues to make a set (so annoying), so those I set aside for another day in a special "to be completed box" in case I find the one or two issues to complete a set.  Examples: I need to find a Kitty Pryde and Wolverine #6 to complete the mini and Avengers Forever #4 to complete the maxi series.

I also have to decide whether to make lots/story arc sets out of runs of titles like Captain America, Dark Avengers, JLA/Justice League, Mighty Avengers, New Avengers and Uncanny X-Men or just sell as singles in my title boxes. Opinions?

Anyway group shot on some of the sets I have managed to assemble.  

August Lot.jpg

We build a lot of sets.  If they don't sell we toss them in my basement after a season, they're starting to pile up.  I've started to go through all this 'abandoned inventory and I've found duplicate and triplicate sets in it.  I'd suggest you don't build a set unless it's a mainstream character or it's a very unusual set, otherwise you're probably wasting your time.  Ask yourself 'who will buy this' and 'how many of these buyers are there' and if you can't imagine a pool of buyers for the set don't build it.

Omac, Orion, Jack of Hearts, Batman and the Outsiders, etc will probably never sell as a set.

Generally when pricing I ask $2 a book for so so sets and $3 to $4 for popular character sets.  More for 'hot' sets like Old Man Logan.  I also have a couple longs of almost complete sets and a corresponding list of what's missing and I spend a bit of time at shows or at LCS looking for missing books.  

Edited by thehumantorch

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

We build a lot of sets.  If they don't sell we toss them in my basement after a season, they're starting to pile up.  I've started to go through all this 'abandoned inventory and I've found duplicate and triplicate sets in it.  I'd suggest you don't build a set unless it's a mainstream character or it's a very unusual set, otherwise you're probably wasting your time.  Ask yourself 'who will buy this' and 'how many of these buyers are there' and if you can't imagine a pool of buyers for the set don't build it.

Omac, Orion, Jack of Hearts, Batman and the Outsiders, etc will probably never sell as a set.

Generally when pricing I ask $2 a book for so so sets and $3 to $4 for popular character sets.  More for 'hot' sets like Old Man Logan.  I also have a couple longs of almost complete sets and a corresponding list of what's missing and I spend a bit of time at shows or at LCS looking for missing books.  

I think one of the big differences between the two of us, is volume...I have very, very few duplicate sets (if any at this point) so I don't mind building a set or holding onto a set that takes awhile to sell.  If I had what you are describing, I am sure I would be far more picky.

I'm surprised you don't think the Orion or the Batman and Outsiders as a set will sell though. I have done ok with sets of that nature so long as they featured some key players...I had a large set of All-Star Squadron sell the first time I brought it to a show, which is why I thought the Outsiders set might do well.  With the Justice League movie and speculation on Darkseid, etc. I thought Orion might do alright...Alpha Flight on the other hand, not so much lol  

I guess I was thinking with the not so popular stuff  that I have a better chance of selling it as a set than as individual issues (shrug).  Plus I tend to price those ones pretty aggressively to move them.  Sometimes for mini's like that I might even put it in the "title run" box of a character said mini is connected to help "spur a sale".  

So would you be of the opinion instead of making sets of story arcs for say the New Avengers run I have, just list them as singles (if I did this I was just thinking of doing $2 per book)?

Assuming the sets are mostly the extra 'bulk' and you've already made your money back anyway, is try to make sets and move them aggressively to open up space

9 minutes ago, revat said:

Assuming the sets are mostly the extra 'bulk' and you've already made your money back anyway, is try to make sets and move them aggressively to open up space

For this particular lot, I have not made my money back yet as I had not yet sold anything, just getting it organized as I just picked it up a couple of days ago.  My thinking was if I had a "ready made" set in the lot I just purchased, I would bundle it up.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Sounds like you're coming up with a lot of the same solutions to problems that we've thought of and/or tried.  Execution is everything and there's no hard and fast rule as to what will work or what will sell quickly.  I question how we sell stuff all the time.

We priced some weaker sets at 50 cents a book hoping the price would move the lot of them and generally that didn't work..
We've  put some of the smaller sets in our character sections and I'm not sure it made a difference.
I  like building story arcs as it's usually a manageable size and buyers like complete stories but generally I don't think it's worth it if the story arc is 'bad'. 

I have a couple runs of Batman and the Outsiders.  My radar told me not to bother building the sets so I never have.  If you sell yours let me know please.

We bag and board each book before building a set.  We've tried building sets without bagging and boarding each book but they seem to sell slower and get damaged quickly.  If you build a lot of sets that don't sell that you've bagged and boarded it'll cost you money, especially sets you're asking 50 cents per book.

Might be worth building Alpha Flight since you're in Canada.  

We have to consider what will generate the best sales per square foot of display space.  Ideally anything I work up should be as good or better than anything I'm leaving behind - I can't bring it all.  Building boxes of  sets that I'm gonna ask 50 cents per book and that I believe are slow sellers is a bad decision compared to bringing popular sets that sell for $3 per book.

As an experiment last year we brought 10 longs of decent $1 books and priced them at 50 cents each to a 3 day show.  We sold a lot.  Had repeat buyers come by every day and buy more and more and some thanked us for the good deal.  In the end we sold about twice as many of these books for about the same dollar amount.

13 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Sounds like you're coming up with a lot of the same solutions to problems that we've thought of and/or tried.  Execution is everything and there's no hard and fast rule as to what will work or what will sell quickly.  I question how we sell stuff all the time.

We priced some weaker sets at 50 cents a book hoping the price would move the lot of them and generally that didn't work..
We've  put some of the smaller sets in our character sections and I'm not sure it made a difference.
I  like building story arcs as it's usually a manageable size and buyers like complete stories but generally I don't think it's worth it if the story arc is 'bad'. 

I have a couple runs of Batman and the Outsiders.  My radar told me not to bother building the sets so I never have.  If you sell yours let me know please.

We bag and board each book before building a set.  We've tried building sets without bagging and boarding each book but they seem to sell slower and get damaged quickly.  If you build a lot of sets that don't sell that you've bagged and boarded it'll cost you money, especially sets you're asking 50 cents per book.

Might be worth building Alpha Flight since you're in Canada.  

We have to consider what will generate the best sales per square foot of display space.  Ideally anything I work up should be as good or better than anything I'm leaving behind - I can't bring it all.  Building boxes of  sets that I'm gonna ask 50 cents per book and that I believe are slow sellers is a bad decision compared to bringing popular sets that sell for $3 per book.

As an experiment last year we brought 10 longs of decent $1 books and priced them at 50 cents each to a 3 day show.  We sold a lot.  Had repeat buyers come by every day and buy more and more and some thanked us for the good deal.  In the end we sold about twice as many of these books for about the same dollar amount.

That is the one kind of fun thing about a show...Selling something you never thought you would.  

99.99% of my sets are individually bagged and boarded but for some of the really "cheapies" they are in a single bag and board.  Looks like from this lot I will not really be bothering to make too many set story arcs, a few, but not many.  Just going to throw most of them in individual title boxes.

Exactly. Can't bring it all. Once I get my stock more thoroughly sorted, I would like to try that...Bring a lot of cheaper $2 books (I have $2 each or 3 for $5) and see how they do...I would likely do that at the smaller local show as opposed to say the Graphic Con show I just did as the cost to attend is peanuts for me and if they don't pan out, no big loss.

If I end up selling either of those sets, Batman or Orion, will definitely let you know.  I think the saving grade for the Batman and Outsiders is it is well, Batman and I will mark something on it like "Katana from Suicide Squad" too or some such note. On some books/sets I sometimes try to add a bit of a "notation" to help a sale.

...I also plan on posting some of the better books and stuff from the lot on eBay this weekend to recover my expenditure from this lot. I am in no rush to do so but figured my next show is not until October, so might as well...

SIDEBAR:  The antique seller I bought this from had a decent"Hey Kids Comics" sand which style display rack.  It was BURIED in one of their trailers but they said they would consider selling it.  

The only downside is that the rack itself might have to be sandblasted and repainted (metal toppers are good though)...Given the issues with it, advice on fair offer?

Did you end up grabbing the stand?

I participated in my second ever show yesterday, stealing some advice from this thread I brought three sets with me and sold two: Groo 1-42 and Hawkeye mini 1-4.  The day turned-out to be very strong; I'm finding the delicate balance with what to bring and what to move, I might try and snake it a side table like the guy beside me! 

8 minutes ago, spreads said:

I participated in my second ever show yesterday, stealing some advice from this thread I brought three sets with me and sold two: Groo 1-42 and Hawkeye mini 1-4.  The day turned-out to be very strong; I'm finding the delicate balance with what to bring and what to move, I might try and snake it a side table like the guy beside me! 

No, not yet. I was busy with cottage life and they were not keen to movie it and said they would call me if they wanted to sell...Plus it was in the back of one of their storage trailers.  I might just throw them an offer and see what happens. It needs to be repaired so I would not be looking to pay top dollar for it.

Congrats on your second show! If you have pics, would love to see them. Where was the show? Was it a big show or smaller local show?  I think most dealers at shows are ALWAYS keen to be able to sneak in more space.  I do whenever I can and I usually have an extra 4 foot folding table on hand "just in case".

7 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

No, not yet. I was busy with cottage life and they were not keen to movie it and said they would call me if they wanted to sell...Plus it was in the back of one of their storage trailers.  I might just throw them an offer and see what happens. It needs to be repaired so I would not be looking to pay top dollar for it.

Congrats on your second show! If you have pics, would love to see them. Where was the show? Was it a big show or smaller local show?  I think most dealers at shows are ALWAYS keen to be able to sneak in more space.  I do whenever I can and I usually have an extra 4 foot folding table on hand "just in case".

I'm in Ottawa, it's a monthly show and fairly busy with 3-4 large dealers of comics, a smattering of mid-sized dealers, and a whole pile of sports guys.  Considering it's the slowest month of the year (from what the big guys tell me) I was pretty happy to do 16 times my cost in sales.  I'll try to get some more photos next time, this is a learning process for me and I'm making changes as I go.  Actually the guy beside me didn't even man his table for half the show and I don't think he sold anything!  He had some interesting sports memorabilia like old pennants, but I wonder why he even brings two end tables when he doesn't even sell anything?!  Clearly, some of these older guys are doing this as more of a social event...

On a cottage related note we're putting in an offer for a cottage!  I can't wait, it will be co-mingled between investment property and personal use.

8 hours ago, spreads said:

Ottawa eh?PM before next show to remind me and i'll be sure to come by and visit!Always bring something home from Guy.I forgot all about yesterday,boo.

1 hour ago, spreads said:

I'm in Ottawa, it's a monthly show and fairly busy with 3-4 large dealers of comics, a smattering of mid-sized dealers, and a whole pile of sports guys.  Considering it's the slowest month of the year (from what the big guys tell me) I was pretty happy to do 16 times my cost in sales.  I'll try to get some more photos next time, this is a learning process for me and I'm making changes as I go.  Actually the guy beside me didn't even man his table for half the show and I don't think he sold anything!  He had some interesting sports memorabilia like old pennants, but I wonder why he even brings two end tables when he doesn't even sell anything?!  Clearly, some of these older guys are doing this as more of a social event...

On a cottage related note we're putting in an offer for a cottage!  I can't wait, it will be co-mingled between investment property and personal use.

What was the name of the show...I saw something floating around on FB but now can't find it...Driving me nuts LOL.

You know when you are moving up in the world of buying and selling when the cops call you to advise you of a stolen collection and to contact them if approached to buy anything...

I informed the constable I would need a bit more to go on. I asked what was stolen so that I can distinguish between a potential thievery and just a person trying to sell their own books.

I was told "Spider-Man and Namor" - I said it would need a bit more specific information as Spider-Man is pretty common but I would absolutely help to catch a thief if I can. Constable understood and is working on a list from the complainant and will share it with me when he has it.

Turns out the constable is the older brother of a junior high friend I use to play "Rifts" with back in the day lol

15 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

You know when you are moving up in the world of buying and selling when the cops call you to advise you of a stolen collection and to contact them if approached to buy anything...

I informed the constable I would need a bit more to go on. I asked what was stolen so that I can distinguish between a potential thievery and just a person trying to sell their own books.

I was told "Spider-Man and Namor" - I said it would need a bit more specific information as Spider-Man is pretty common but I would absolutely help to catch a thief if I can. Constable understood and is working on a list from the complainant and will share it with me when he has it.

Turns out the constable is the older brother of a junior high friend I use to play "Rifts" with back in the day lol

Cop: "So you're saying you haven't seen any Spider-Man collections".....

you: "no I mean there was one collection I just purchased with 3 long boxes from issue 1 and up, but the collection also had Daredevil in addition to Namor, so I didn't call you."  :p

On 8/18/2017 at 0:54 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

Comics have been found.  All I was told was that it was a "moving mix up".  Guess it is "safe" to buy "Spider-Man and Namor" collections again...

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Comics have been found.  All I was told was that it was a "moving mix up".  Guess it is "safe" to buy "Spider-Man and Namor" collections again...

Lois: Peter,where did you get this car?
Peter: well,let's just say the car was a steal *winks*
Lois: say that again.
Peter: the car was a steal *winks*
Lois: without the wink
Peter: the car was a steal...... wink

Here's one I would not mind some feedback on...

Guy contacts me, wants to buy a set and a couple of other books. We negotiate a price. A whopping $50 CDN. He says sweet, when can I swing by your place to pick them up? I say I usually just meet people at Timmies (coffee chain for my American friends) or whatever other public space. He says "looking at comics there would make me feel weird".  

MOST people I have never had a problem meeting me in a public space.  Also, there are not a lot of comics to look at.  I sent pics and grade, it would take him two minutes to look at.  I say fine, I can just swing by your place and drop them off.  All he replies is this "Nah thats ok man".

First of all, what does that mean? Can't meet at my house so he doesn't want them?  Am I being "paranoid" for not letting the guy know exactly where I live?

If we were negotiating some big deal, sure, come to my house and I do have customers who know where I live, but that was developed over time...This guy I don't know from Adam.  For something so minor, I am just as content to "lose the sale" and just stick the set back with my show stock...

Edited by Wall-Crawler

5 5