• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

Sudbury Graphic Con Report - Part 1

Friday, June 9th/17:  

Arrived at our scheduled set up time (3 PM) and everything was smooth.  They had it so you booked a 'block' of time so not everyone was coming in at the same time.  My extra fire resistant table cloth was on the table.  Not much exciting here, just basically  set up with as @thehumantorch  stated, hauled in as much as possible, got it all done and ready, except for my more "expensive" stuff which I kept in my hotel room. Covered the boxes with tablecloth (not fire resistant!!!).  

I should state that my parents also made the trip as they wanted to help out (I did not ask, they volunteered) and they were interested to see what this was "all about".

After a bit of shopping at Costco, checked in to hotel.

After a nice dinner at Milestones, we all went and saw Wonder Woman. My wife and I both enjoyed the movie. Yes, all super hero movies have flaws, but overall, a very good showing for DC.  If you have not seen it, I would say worth it to see on the big screen.

Finished the night with a rye and coke (or two).

Saturday, June 10th/17 - Show Day:

Arrived a little early just to finalize booth and had about 20 minutes to do a very quick scout of other vendors. Made a mental note of a few things.  Saw some "junk", t-shirts,art prints, costume stuff, typical con stuff...Any takers on how long the "fidget spinner" craze will last??? I envision some vendors being stuck with massive amounts of inventory...

Doors opened to the public at 10 AM.  Business was very brisk.  Lots of sales running the full gamut from a single $1 sale and up to over $200 single sale.  Around 1 PM I had a feeling I was going to do very well.   I don't keep track during the day, I just like to find out "at the end".

We did not really get a break until 4 PM. That is when things started to slow down.  I really appreciated having my parents help out as an extra set of eyes and doing nice things like picking my wife and I up lunch.  They also went out and did their own thing too but, it was nice to have extra help when needed.  I don't think my parents will ever get their heads around the whole cosplay thing and what some people were selling. I told them a show like Toronto is like 100 X more than what they are/would see. My dad just kind of shook his head at some of the things he saw lol

I don't have the final attendance numbers but I imagine they will be quite good.  At least over 4,000 I would think. I'm terrible at judging people volume.

A bit of a "scary" moment - A young lad stopped there and his aunt and uncle (I heard this) told him to watch his little sister as they wanted to get food, or something.  The kid turned around to talk to me and when he looked back his sister was GONE.  She was wearing a Spider-Man costume.  I quickly told my wife of the situation and I left with the lad to do a scout of the floor.  We did not find her.

I  took the boy to one of the show organizers, explained the situation and they immediately announced for her (the sister) to come to the stage area over the PA system.  Sure enough (and thankfully) after what seemed the longest 5 - 10 minutes of my life, the aunt and uncle arrived with the little girl.  The aunt and uncle seemed "annoyed" with the boy as they had apparently hollered back that the sister was going with them instead.  I never heard them.  Either way, why they would leave a 5-6 year old girl with a 9 -10 year old boy ALONE at a show like that is beyond me.

The boy came back to my booth later, said sorry for the trouble and my wife told him he did the right thing and that he had nothing to be sorry for.  He ended up buying a Spidey book and we gave him some freebies.

After 4 PM and just before the "Cosplay Red Carpet" is when things started to slow but still had sales, just not very many.  During this time I did a quick tour, talked to some people I know over social media but had not yet met in person, other vendors, but did not really buy a lot.  For me, there was nothing there that I really needed or could quickly see that I could pick up to make a buck on later.  I only ended up spending about $60 on other books. I did score a very MINTY looking first print of Seven to Eternity for cheap that I think is a 9.8 candidate and some nice Star Wars books as I am hoping to get Jeremy Bullock to sign one for me at Montreal Comic Con via third party.

The show officially closed at 8 PM.  We were allowed to start removing non-displayed items around 7ish. We made a few sales to other vendors and con volunteers during the final hour as we were packing up, which was nice.  Take down and move out, especially with 4 people as opposed to the usual 2, was a breeze.  I thanked the con organizers for a great show and told them that I hope to be back again, if they will have me.  I chatted with a few other vendors after in the parking lot and my wife and I were on the road home by 8:30 ish and got home just after 10 PM, exhausted physically but still buzzing mentally from all the "con stimulus".

Note: The con organizers also arranged to have a viewing of LOGAN on the local IMAX screen.  Had we stayed that night, probably would have checked it out. The only IMAX screen in town is associated with the Sudbury Science Centre and they don't normally play your "regular movies", except of special events on the IMAX.

This con is arranged through the staff of the City of Greater Sudbury District Library, and while I don't have a huge frame of reference, the show seemed extremely well organized and the staff and volunteers are very pleasant and easy to work with.  They did a fantastic job and the show seemed very well received by fans and vendors alike.

Sunday, June 11th/17 (Day After):

Recovering.  Off to organize stock back into storage and then hopefully a quick boat ride at the lake. I will try to post some pictures and a "market report" later on.

I really enjoy your journal. 

I saw tons of fidget spinners last week at WW Philly.  The first time I saw one, I was interested enough to stop and look, but not buy.  I agree, anyone buying in volume will have alot of left over stock (IMHO).  Also in Philly tons of people were selling Pop figures.  The same ones, about the same price.  Can't see how those people are making money either.

Sudbury Graphic Con Report Part II - Photo Parade

I did not have a lot of opportunity to take as many pics as I hoped. I only have a few of what the fam was able to get. A few cosplay pics and I did miss out on pics of some really good (and not so good) costumes but as a friend said "don't encourage them" lol - I will say one of my largest single sales was to a cosplayer. Anyway, here is what I was able to get.    

ty.jpg

20170609_155913_resized.jpg

20170610_093530_resized.jpg

20170610_095359_resized.jpg

klingons.jpg

trooper.jpg

20170610_164831_resized.jpg

working.jpg

20170610_112856_resized.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Sudbury Graphic Con Report Part III - Sales Report

I assume for those who follow find this part the most interesting? As of this writing I still don't have an official estimate of how many people came through the door. Anyway, here is an overview of what I sold and how I did.

First Sale:  Transformers #8 (first full Dinobots). 

CGC Books:  I was one of the few sellers who had CGC books. There were a couple other vendors who had one or two but I brought about 1/2 a short box of CGC books as I did not know who they would go over.  I sold 5 CGC books and they ended up being nearly 30% of my sales total. So, definitely glad I brought them.

• Sidebar:  One of the books I sold was an ASM #238 CGC 9.4, 1st Hobgoblin.  I brought it from my personal collection as the OCD in me always wanted a 9.6 to go with my other late bronze, copper and modern 1st villain Spidey appearances that are all 9.6's...I figured I could use the sale of that one to upgrade, so if anyone has a 9.6 for sale, let me know lol

Biggest seller:  Sets reigned supreme.  I pride myself on the sets I make up - I package them very nicely and the books that make up the sets are not 'dogs' and I think I price them pretty well.  I sold a long box and a half worth of sets.

Top Individual Title(s):  Batman & Detective.

Honourable Mentions:  Avengers, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman and X-Men.

What did not sell (that I thought would move): Iron Man, Justice League.

Worst seller(s): Fantastic Four, Superman, Thor.

Same book that I sold multiple copies of:  Spawn #1 (4 copies).

What people asked for that I found surprising and did not have: Predator related comics (I had 4 different people ask for these). 

Last Sale: Amazing Spider-Man #90 (mid grade copy) - This I sold as I was literally putting the boxes on the cart to haul out of the convention.

Did I buy anything?  Not much. I didn't have much time to shop around and nothing super jumped out at me and nothing cool fell into my lap either. I ended up buying a sweet Seven to Eternity for a very nice price that I think is a 9.8 candidate, a very minty ASM #36 (Vol. 2) news stand edition - Both will be going to CGC. I also bought a few Star Wars comics, one of them a cool Boba Fett book that I hope to get signed by Jeremy Bulloch later on. Like I said though, nothing crazy.

Expenses/Profit Margin:  After all expenses were factored in, I did approximately 7 X what it cost me to attend this show (would have been more but now I have to replace my ASM #238).  

Overall Assessment: This was the largest show I have done to date and I am very pleased that I did.  I was steadily busy from opening until about 4 PM.  After that, sales greatly slowed but I was still selling.  One comic vendor  has complained about the show on social media but that certainly was not my experience.  I received many compliments on how my booth looked and that my prices were fair.  My profit was significantly more than the the other shows I do in my home town, even with travel/hotel costs, having to now replace my ASM #238 with a CGC 9.6 copy and the booth fee.  So yes, I definitely hope to participate again in 2018.

Attendance Update:  Show confirms just over 5,000 people came through the doors.

Edited by Wall-Crawler
Updated information.

Sudbury Graphic Con Report Part IV - Final Thoughts/Lessons Learned

The main thing I learned is that I can "compete" and "handle" doing a larger show (with help of course). Around 5,000 people attended this show and while this may be small compared to what many others do, considering my local shows hovered around 500, this was quite a step up.

For next year, with regards to this particular show, I would change a few things and I also learned a few things for other shows:

1.  Get a better 6 foot table. Mine was "bowing" a bit too much in the middle. I am a bit of a perfectionist and hated how that looked the whole show.
  2.  As I will likely be limited again to a 10 x 8 space (they only had a few "premium" booths and those seem to go to sponsors), I will keep the "L" shape but again request for an end unit that allows for the extra table.  I would also place the larger 8 foot table at the front and the 6 foot table at the side this time.  This will still give me the "ease of egress" they require but a bigger 'main' stage area.  I don't know why I placed the 6 foot table at front during set up...
    • I *might* contemplate something a little different but this is what I am comfortable with as it allowed me to keep an eye on things.  One vendor just basically made a booth with rows of tables and was able to have at least double the amount of product I had but he did not have any CGC or "wall" books either.  Maybe one day I will venture outside the traditional 'trade show' style set up lol
  3. While I have signage on the front of each box, when there is a crowd, difficult for people to know what is in each box. I am going to create 'signs' that 'stick out' of the back of each long box too, similar to what I have for my set boxes to help customers know what is in what box.
  4. Have more $5's and $10's in my float. By the end of the show, I was very, very low on $5's and $10's.

This show was definitely a bit stressful at times due to the volume and "newness" of the experience for me, but it was also a  success so I was very glad to step out of my comfort zone and do it.  The other thing is, once I got into the groove, it was fun, which is probably still the most important aspect of this whole venture.

Edited by Wall-Crawler
Fix error.

On 6/11/2017 at 5:52 PM, n2wdw said:

I really enjoy your journal. 

I saw tons of fidget spinners last week at WW Philly.  The first time I saw one, I was interested enough to stop and look, but not buy.  I agree, anyone buying in volume will have alot of left over stock (IMHO).  Also in Philly tons of people were selling Pop figures.  The same ones, about the same price.  Can't see how those people are making money either.

Thanks! Always nice to know a few people follow/read my dribble!

sounds like it worked out  well for you - congrats

6' tables - home depo or Lowes - they have the plastic fold up tables ( fold in the middle)  that are great for shows.

Depending on the area they allow  you can sometimes make an open "C" shape with a 10 x 10 -- with a mix of the tables   If the rack fits on the tables - you have several options.  These layouts assume people "inside" of the booth (and you have other vendors on either side).  Left is if you are trapped with no chance to expand.  Right is if you can grow a bit ( 1' into the traffic aisle and 6" over) --- depending on the con, you get this already as they give allowances for the fact that the tables generally are not a good fit into most 10 x 10  ( they are usually 2 1/2 feet wide - so any "L" shape means you have 10.5 feet with 2 8'  tables). ..

59401c2f3697d_10x10.jpg.4afc91ea530afd32f6d39d5fae28198c.jpg

once you get into that double wide - you have a TON of more options.

For my main "con" -- this is the default layout they give you for 10 x 20 ( 5 tables)  .... so they slightly overhang the layout to start.....

59402061522af_10x20.jpg.2fd6b259599d878c7edfdfcf60a53858.jpg

keeping that same overlap - you can get a ton of stock in there - though this would be a pain to manage sales- I would use this if I had just $1 stock for sure ... might even shorten the three interior tables to 6'  - gives you a little more traffic pattern and realistically the same amount of useable display area.

594020f295b4e_10x202.jpg.8b05dc80e693ddad981b433157c7058e.jpg

In the case where you have the 10 x 8 - you are really hurting as that 8' - if strict - really hurts any overlap potential.... On the left - crowded ( probably have to drop the 6') - on the right - shows you that silly overlap issue -- 6" more depth - and you could probably set that up with 2 8' and a 6' - and have some room to operate.

8x10.jpg.0a7ee3102d1268e6ec1b2a5a184daf65.jpg

Once you start letting people inside the booths ---- the wall books are always a worry. For slabs - you could just scan and print a picture of the slabs for sale - place the picture in the rack. I generally do not have a lot of high value "wall" books as my show - those I can sell easily on ebay or here. I do have a locked case for higher value slabs - those I bring more to show that I have the bigger hitters just in case.....

The folding tables are great for adding usable space.  We have 4 or 5 of the 6 footers and I picked up a couple 4 footers that come in handy when there isn't quite enough space for a 6 foot.  A word of warning, they aren't that strong.  After about 4 years of use 2 have broken down, essentially the metal support has separated from the plastic table.

We've experimented with an open U of tables in our booth and used special clamps to fasten our walls to the table backs but it isn't very secure and we're still working on a better solution. 

I do know that the more display space you have the more you'll sell.  Also books flat on the table sell 5 or 10 times faster than books in a box, especially large pop culture shows where you're selling less to collectors and more to casual 'that's cool' type buyers.  For the bigger shows we use about 50% of our display space for comics flat on the table.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I do know that the more display space you have the more you'll sell.  Also books flat on the table sell 5 or 10 times faster than books in a box, especially large pop culture shows where you're selling less to collectors and more to casual 'that's cool' type buyers.  For the bigger shows we use about 50% of our display space for comics flat on the table.

Setup from last year-  the whole left row is the "set" area. Displays2go has decent deals on wire racks - and the short ones fit the table with room for a flat row in front.  You can fit a LOT of stock in the visible area doing this - and helped a ton with moving the bulk sets and TPBs I have. More stock underneath the tables - so I was able to constantly fill empties.

For Spidey --- you have to have a lot of stock for this  ---but you can move a lot as well. 2 weeks before the show - they offered me the "BIG" booth ( 20 x 20 ) for a sweet discount. Having these in flats ( and racks) - help me fill the space with easy to price items.  I have a TON more of the dollar/ two dollar book stock for this year - and now I have time to sort it a bit. Doubling the booth - meant ~ 60%+ more stock so my $1 and $2 bins - were not sorted.

IMG_3978.thumb.JPG.5b66523ac5e42af9cdfd750e51ba25b5.JPG

2 hours ago, W16227 said:

6' tables - home depo or Lowes - they have the plastic fold up tables ( fold in the middle)  that are great for shows.

This is what I had but as it was an old one my parents had kicking around, I should have tested it more. I will definitely be picking up a new one.

@thehumantorch @W16227

I think, for me, what "concerns" me the most about the open booth concept is twofold.

One is keeping track of potentially thieving hands and the other is managing cash. Right now, my wife helps me out with that (retail experience) and we have a cash box. She provides me with detailed receipts so I know exactly what sold, how much, etc. With the open booth concept I see both these aspects being more difficult to manage...I know we mentioned the 'money belt' and such but isn't making change, providing bags, etc a bit harder?  Also, I do like to have some "wall books" so that is also a concern.

Note: The other thing I learned for the most recent show is that I would have some leeway (even with the tablecloths, it was obvious that was an insurance only thing as others were using their own).  However, in terms of space, I would only have leeway with an end unit booth. If I get an end unit next year (will plead for one if I have to as doubles are sponsor only), I will be less worried about the space as I now know I have wiggle room. I jut didn't want to assume that for my first time at this particular show.

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

@thehumantorch @W16227

I think, for me, what "concerns" me the most about the open booth concept is twofold.

One is keeping track of potentially thieving hands and the other is managing cash. Right now, my wife helps me out with that (retail experience) and we have a cash box. She provides me with detailed receipts so I know exactly what sold, how much, etc. With the open booth concept I see both these aspects being more difficult to manage...I know we mentioned the 'money belt' and such but isn't making change, providing bags, etc a bit harder?  Also, I do like to have some "wall books" so that is also a concern.

Note: The other thing I learned for the most recent show is that I would have some leeway (even with the tablecloths, it was obvious that was an insurance only thing as others were using their own).  However, in terms of space, I would only have leeway with an end unit booth. If I get an end unit next year (will plead for one if I have to as doubles are sponsor only), I will be less worried about the space as I now know I have wiggle room. I jut didn't want to assume that for my first time at this particular show.

Sure you could have theft.  We keep the wall books as far back as possible and I watch them like a hawk.  For the cheaper stuff I'm not too worried as I'll sell far more than will have stolen.  If it's busier because I'm selling more and making change more often and handing out bags I couldn't be happier.  Certainly if your booth is really big you'll need help.  You may get to the point where a partner is helpful.

You never know when a show will start enforcing rules or eliminating your wriggle room.  We've had shows get less tolerant for our 'tricks', especially as shows grow in size.  We're masters at booth creep.

15 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Sure you could have theft.  We keep the wall books as far back as possible and I watch them like a hawk.  For the cheaper stuff I'm not too worried as I'll sell far more than will have stolen.  If it's busier because I'm selling more and making change more often and handing out bags I couldn't be happier.  Certainly if your booth is really big you'll need help.  You may get to the point where a partner is helpful.

You never know when a show will start enforcing rules or eliminating your wriggle room.  We've had shows get less tolerant for our 'tricks', especially as shows grow in size.  We're masters at booth creep.

I am not sure if I mis-communicated but I did not mean for it to come across as a complaint re: providing bags/change...We do provide bags to all of our customers, just the trade show style makes those things easier is all I was trying to say as you have a space to store cash box, make change, provide bags.  The other thing we do is provide a space for customers who have a handful or stack a place to set aside until they are done shopping.

But yes, if your sales take a spike you can "afford" a little theft.  My next show I want to break out my spinner rack and use that for books as well.

I do want to try a newer set up. You guys have some great options.  Baby steps though lol

End units are the best for comic sellers for sure! - you get the extra row of good table space. Their layout kind of screws some people over - with 5 in a in some areas. The big local show - they only have 3 booths next to each other - so you pretty much guarantee an end or double end if you get a 10 x 20.

Thieving hands are a concern no matter what - if you get a rush, it is just as easy for them  to swipe inside or outside from the standard boxes. Wall books - is where you need a plan.  In a larger booth - you can use a table as a blocker - so only you can get to them.  Your setup - maybe plexiglass sheets covering the books? -  rig something that requires you to physically have to move the plexi. They look deep enough - might be able to do a sliding door.

For an interior "enter" booth - if you have a smaller entrance/exit ( works best with 10 x 20 and up obviously) - you have a funnel of where people enter and leave.  I had three people in the 20 x 20 ( plus my artist friend that was willing to help out if we were slammed) - and that was kind of too much. My one buddy and I could have done the whole booth ourselves. To be fair - we are both former bartenders and can handle a crowd, watch everything, and make change very fast. 

One of thge other vendors - had a very successful 20 x 20 "exterior access only " both - so that obviously can work too .

For your cash box - that is really up to you. I do not know how torch (or others) handle this, but you might be trying to track too much. You might have to scale that back in the interest of speed. I would love to know exactly what sold and for how much - but I would have to have 1-2 more people working to accomplish this. I know any large sales ( $100 books and up) - but the rest I know more on general observation.

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I am not sure if I mis-communicated but I did not mean for it to come across as a complaint re: providing bags/change...We do provide bags to all of our customers, just the trade show style makes those things easier is all I was trying to say as you have a space to store cash box, make change, provide bags.  The other thing we do is provide a space for customers who have a handful or stack a place to set aside until they are done shopping.

But yes, if your sales take a spike you can "afford" a little theft.  My next show I want to break out my spinner rack and use that for books as well.

I do want to try a newer set up. You guys have some great options.  Baby steps though lol

I didn't  take your communication as a complaint, more of a possible reason not to try the idea.  And that makes sense as we all think of changes and then 'troubleshoot' them for possible problems.

We've tried spinner racks and had success and failure. 

I think your setup looks great, you've put a lot of work into it and you're clearly a perfectionist.

One of the setups we've used successfully was turning a couple of long tables 90 degrees and creating an island at one end of our booth - 20 ft wide double booth - and then a U for the rest of the booth.  Seemed to give us a lot of display and traffic flowed well.  The island was dedicated to one type of item - sets - and I believe it worked well because they were together and easy to spot and there was a clearly defined space between the island and the rest of our booth.   We also erect a 2 sided 3 shelf display above the island holding smaller sets.

1 hour ago, W16227 said:

For your cash box - that is really up to you. I do not know how torch (or others) handle this, but you might be trying to track too much. You might have to scale that back in the interest of speed. I would love to know exactly what sold and for how much - but I would have to have 1-2 more people working to accomplish this. I know any large sales ( $100 books and up) - but the rest I know more on general observation.

Gods, we're the worst.  We have a Deadpool trick or treat head with the top cut off and we just jam money in as it comes.  We leave it sitting in our booth, sometimes in plain sight.  We've had a few customers actually point out how easy it would be to steal and on a good day at a show we'd be very sorry to see it run off.

We've tried spinner racks and had success and failure.

How did their use fail? People didn't bother with it? Or wanted to buy the spinner rack and not the comics? I must have made like 5 or 6 offers on dealers spinner racks before I finally got one...

Gods, we're the worst.  We have a Deadpool trick or treat head with the top cut off and we just jam money in as it comes.  We leave it sitting in our booth, sometimes in plain sight.  We've had a few customers actually point out how easy it would be to steal and on a good day at a show we'd be very sorry to see it run off.

Oh man, I couldn't do that. I'd be a wreck.

Oh yes! I did have a Square Reader but people paid cash.  I got the reader but have yet to use it.  I had one person ask if I accepted PayPal and I said yes and was paid for one $20 book via PayPal.

19 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

How did their use fail? People didn't bother with it? Or wanted to buy the spinner rack and not the comics? I must have made like 5 or 6 offers on dealers spinner racks before I finally got one...

First show we used ours it seemed to be turning all the time and kicking out sales.  Second time we used it nothing seemed to sell.  I think we had small sets in it the first time and single comics the second so perhaps the type of product was the difference.  We haven't used them since as they take up quite a bit of room in the car.  They are ideal for a small area that won't fit a table.

17 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Oh man, I couldn't do that. I'd be a wreck.

Oh yes! I did have a Square Reader but people paid cash.  I got the reader but have yet to use it.  I had one person ask if I accepted PayPal and I said yes and was paid for one $20 book via PayPal.

We're getting more secure with our Deadpool head, now we stash it on a box under the table.  But it's hardly secure lol

Square is wonderful, first show we used one we had a couple hundred credit card transactions.  Sure I'd rather take cash and keep the square fee  but accepting credit cards will entice buyers who don't have enough cash - it's becoming a cashless society, especially for young people.  Put up a sign on your wall saying you accept credit cards.

5 5