• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capullo selling his Batman artwork online
1 1

296 posts in this topic

I see that he mentions more (and perhaps cheaper) art to be put up on the site at some point. Does anyone know if he still has any of his X-Force art? That's the Capullo I'm interested in. I know some of it is out in the wild, but not much from what I've seen.

lol at that last part.

All fair points :)

And honestly, if those early issues were on one board I would have ignored logic and grabbed an example. That initial arc is as entertaining a Batman story as there is.

And honestly, if those early issues were on one board I would have ignored logic and grabbed an example. That initial arc is as entertaining a Batman story as there is.

I get that. I wasn’t keen on separate boards either. Upon receiving them back from the framer, I no longer held that opinion. It’s absolutely fascinating to see the process side-by-side. It also helps that my wife prefers the pencils and I the inks! In general, I do prefer one board, though.

I see that he mentions more (and perhaps cheaper) art to be put up on the site at some point. Does anyone know if he still has any of his X-Force art? That's the Capullo I'm interested in. I know some of it is out in the wild, but not much from what I've seen.

I recall seeing an image of X-Force scanned, so I imagine it’ll make its way up eventually. There’s certain things he’s not selling (at any price), however – like any work on Creech.

I can guarantee at least 1 page sold, I tried to pick up the one I liked the most after a bit of internal debate and it was already gone.

May I ask which one?

Issue 24 P. 33

Issue #24 P. 39 was my favorite page but way too much for me at $11.5k

Both pages still show "In Stock" on the website ?

(shrug)

Only tried to buy the first one, sent the purchase request and was emailed it was already sold. I'm Waiting for payment I would assume.

I think yesterday they started off with 42 batman pages available and are now at 38 so it looks like at least 4 have sold

- That said, Greg is also very 'for-the-fans.' Go to a con he's at. He'll have the longest line by a mile and will take the time to personally greet and shake the hands of each of his fans. People wait 4+ hours to see him. This is why he has pages for $1K. He's legitimately doing it for those who can't afford pricier pages.

I think you made some excellent points - the best of which is the first above - Capullo being such a great fan engager. So often successful people become less approachable (see the mixed reviews of Adams and guys like Liefeld). Both Lee and Capullo have a similar demenor when it comes to this and I think it's really added to their fame and success - so good with the fans. If Capullo was a jerk, I'd like him MUCH less. The fact that he's a cool guy makes me really like his work a lot more - he's a great fan artist.

I much rather own a page from Court of Owls than a page from Hush, and I also think Greg is a far superior artist. Now, this is completely subjective – but that's my point...

On this point though - Capullo being a "far superior artist" : Let's keep the enthusiasm in check haha. Jim Lee is in the conversation for the best artist of his generation. No disrespect to Mr Capullo at all, but nobody in the business is "far superior" to Mr. Lee - at best it's a discussion on what kind of line style you enjoy more (which I think is what you were trying to say).

Edited by Thawk

I much rather own a page from Court of Owls than a page from Hush, and I also think Greg is a far superior artist. Now, this is completely subjective – but that's my point. As the new generation of collectors emerge, the Capullo/Snyder run is at the forefront of that – not Hush, not Dark Knight Returns, not Miller's Daredevil or whatever run you feel superior. Yes, prices are silly high now and pages may sit, but I assure you – in years to come as this new generation finds themselves more financially competent and look back to what was some of the greatest Batman stories ever told – and to them, likely THE greatest – they will pay. Will prices increase? I don't know, but the pages will sell and many will be tightly held on to.

When thinking of comparisons I like to think of all the modern(post 1990) Batman material and then rank the desirability. Hush is #1 for me and I think most others but Capullo/Snyder Batman is right up there in the 2/3 spot I think.

I think it is superior to Tim Sale DV/TLH and look how much those pages go for nowadays.

I wouldn't be buying these pages thinking I am going to have a huge return on them, but the pricing is not completely crazy(well maybe in some cases it is ala Clayface barf) when you compare what a lot of other popular modern Batman works fetch in the marketplace.

Edited by NinjaSealed

I much rather own a page from Court of Owls than a page from Hush, and I also think Greg is a far superior artist. Now, this is completely subjective – but that's my point. As the new generation of collectors emerge, the Capullo/Snyder run is at the forefront of that – not Hush, not Dark Knight Returns, not Miller's Daredevil or whatever run you feel superior. Yes, prices are silly high now and pages may sit, but I assure you – in years to come as this new generation finds themselves more financially competent and look back to what was some of the greatest Batman stories ever told – and to them, likely THE greatest – they will pay. Will prices increase? I don't know, but the pages will sell and many will be tightly held on to.

When thinking of comparisons I like to think of all the modern(post 1990) Batman material and then rank the desirability. Hush is #1 for me and I think most others but Capullo/Snyder Batman is right up there in the 2/3 spot I think.

I think it is superior to Tim Sale DV/TLH and look how much those pages go for nowadays.

I wouldn't be buying these pages thinking I am going to have a huge return on them, but the pricing is not completely crazy(well maybe in some cases it is ala Clayface barf) when you compare what a lot of other popular modern Batman works fetch in the marketplace.

Tim Sale is a classic example of an organically grown market and Long Halloween / Dark Victory are great examples of stories that were not only popular upon release but have stood up to the test of time (20 years now for long halloween). Sale's storytelling and overall style meshed perfectly with the thematic elements to create two classic stories.

Appreciation for that work has only grown over time. Good pages were in the $200 range at one time. They can be 20 times that now. The entirety of the growth was demand and appreciation.

Anything with a Bat symbol on it from Capullo's latest update has a far higher asking price than a corresponding Tim Sale LH/DV page is getting in real world competition/bidding at auction.

In the last ten years we've entered an era of "price reset" in modern comic art. By that I mean, the highest prices some pieces sell for is when they sell from the artist themselves. The pieces go into private collections, then they move to someone else, either by trade or sale. When they appear again, at auction or elsewhere, the price is reset and reset lower. The market for that artist or particular story arc distances itself from the original sale and builds its own actual market value outside of whatever it was originally priced.

It's certainly not a new phenomenon, but it's happening more often recently.

Tim Sale is a classic example of an organically grown market and Long Halloween / Dark Victory are great examples of stories that were not only popular upon release but have stood up to the test of time (20 years now for long halloween). Sale's storytelling and overall style meshed perfectly with the thematic elements to create two classic stories.

Appreciation for that work has only grown over time. Good pages were in the $200 range at one time. They can be 20 times that now. The entirety of the growth was demand and appreciation.

Anything with a Bat symbol on it from Capullo's latest update has a far higher asking price than a corresponding Tim Sale LH/DV page is getting in real world competition/bidding at auction.

In the last ten years we've entered an era of "price reset" in modern comic art. By that I mean, the highest prices some pieces sell for is when they sell from the artist themselves. The pieces go into private collections, then they move to someone else, either by trade or sale. When they appear again, at auction or elsewhere, the price is reset and reset lower. The market for that artist or particular story arc distances itself from the original sale and builds its own actual market value outside of whatever it was originally priced.

My mind blew up when I realized The Long Halloween is now 20 years old. Wow I feel old(and I am probably younger than most here.)

I wish that FMV for Tim Sale DV/TLH was far below the asking prices on Capullo's list but I don't think that is the case. (I wish it was and if anyone wants to sell me a similar level page far below those prices let me know!)

I think there is just such an insanely high demand in the market right now for the top works that SOME of his prices are not that out of whack. I feel at auction/real world the prices on many of these pieces would not be far off what he is asking.

On the Hush / Jim Lee comparison: Many of you are judging based on nostalgia, personal connection, and your own perceived importance of the story (objectively, it was a very important story) which is absolutely justified. What I think is being missed, is that there is a new generation of collectors – one I myself belong to, and few of which are on this board.

nostalgia vs the so called new generation. His work of Spawn in the 90's was what built the anticipation for his Batman run to begin with.

I've been a fan of Greg's from his X-force days in 1991/92 and think Greg is one of the best contemporary artists in comics as is Jim lee but Jim is still the gold standard for commercial artists in comics. Every time Jim launches a new series it's the biggest selling book out there.

To us, Capullo/Snyder > Hush, and Capullo > Lee, and there is a large number who started reading comics with their Batman #1, the same way Hush rekindled comics interest for many.

I much rather own a page from Court of Owls than a page from Hush, and I also think Greg is a far superior artist.Now, this is completely subjective – but that's my point. As the new generation of collectors emerge, the Capullo/Snyder run is at the forefront of that – not Hush, not Dark Knight Returns, not Miller's Daredevil or whatever run you feel superior.

I think Marc Silvestri (circa 2010 to today) is a superior artist to his Image co-founders. That's and 2-5k will get me some pretty high end contemporary covers by Marc. New Jim lee cover sell for what? 10k up. I can argue until doomsday at how much better Marc Silvestri is but the marketplace says otherwise.

As a diehard fan of capullo, I'd have to admit he's never had the commercial drawing power his contemporaries like Campbell, turner, finch has had. I don't know what that is, I think his best work is every bit as appealing or more.

For me personally, I spent a decent chunk of coin to get my pages – especially the splashes. It wasn't easy, prices were stupid high and not something I was used to paying, but they were also purchases I do not regret and would (and will likely) do again. If these were to lose value entirely – I'm OK with that. The Court of Owls pages represent the greatest story I have ever read, and the incredible experience I had enjoying it. I am so strongly connected to Court, that I couldn't imagine parting with them. Many feel the same way about Death of the Family, Zero Year, Endgame, Superheavy, and the entire run in general.

So, as absurd as prices are and as difficult to understand as it is – I ask you to remember the majority of Greg's audience is very different than that you're accustom to.

I think one of the reasons there is a strong negative reaction to Greg's pricing is I think many of us feel alienated by his pricing because it's so much higher than the marketplace for contemporary artists. it's not even in the same ballpark. As a fan who has supported his work for decades, it feels like a slap in the face to price even filler pages at over 1k.

If that's what the marketplace dictated, it would be one thing. Art goes to auction and that's what it sells for. Greg's work, at auction, has not come close to these prices.

Work with Mcfarlane is something entirely different, mind you. McFarlane's involvement is a game changer. I think That 90k asking price for the Spawn 54 splash is high but it's also one of the best pieces of Capullo/Mcfarlane art.

Edited by Koa

this I agree with. premium pricing for court of owls is certainly understandable. the story was great. premium pricing for non bat panel pages for batman #22 or 19 or 33? I couldn't tell you what those stories were without doing a google and that's that I've read the entire arc.

My mind blew up when I realized The Long Halloween is now 20 years old. Wow I feel old(and I am probably younger than most here.)

I wish that FMV for Tim Sale DV/TLH was far below the asking prices on Capullo's list but I don't think that is the case. (I wish it was and if anyone wants to sell me a similar level page far below those prices let me know!)

I think there is just such an insanely high demand in the market right now for the top works that SOME of his prices are not that out of whack. I feel at auction/real world the prices on many of these pieces would not be far off what he is asking.

A good friend of mine bought a full Batman splash page from Sale's DV (might have been LH) for around $5,000 in the last 6-8 months. That's 1/3 the asking price of the splashes I saw on Capullo's site.

While I do not like paying top dollar buying from the artist directly I think intellectually it is awesome. The internet strikes again. With the death of Prince today I am reminded that he also took his art directly to the fans. Louis C.K. made/makes a mint selling his comedy directly to his fans. The direct connection the internet and social media create between consumers and producers is cutting out the middle man. Not that my wallet enjoys it; you would think that the goods would cost less but ego (or attachment or whatever) enters the picture and suddenly things are more expensive in many cases even though the artist is the salesman. My daughter is 16 and an aspiring artist and loves the work of James Jean. He was selling those prints produced to order and they were more than I want to pay for a print. But they are beautiful and good for him getting that cash influx every so often. So if Capullo wants to add an extra zero what are you going to do? Go big or go home I guess.

While I do not like paying top dollar buying from the artist directly I think intellectually it is awesome. The internet strikes again. With the death of Prince today I am reminded that he also took his art directly to the fans. Louis C.K. made/makes a mint selling his comedy directly to his fans. The direct connection the internet and social media create between consumers and producers is cutting out the middle man. Not that my wallet enjoys it; you would think that the goods would cost less but ego (or attachment or whatever) enters the picture and suddenly things are more expensive in many cases even though the artist is the salesman. My daughter is 16 and an aspiring artist and loves the work of James Jean. He was selling those prints produced to order and they were more than I want to pay for a print. But they are beautiful and good for him getting that cash influx every so often. So if Capullo wants to add an extra zero what are you going to do? Go big or go home I guess.

That doesn't always work out so well.

That doesn't always work out so well.

Well, I stand corrected. I believe he HAD been doing very well with comedy downloads.

Work with Mcfarlane is something entirely different, mind you. McFarlane's involvement is a game changer. I think That 90k asking price for the Spawn 54 splash is high but it's also one of the best pieces of Capullo/Mcfarlane art.

Yesterday, I was interested in a Spawn page. The one listed yesterday for $850.00 was inked by McFarlane and had Spawn in every panel. I sent my request in right away as it had everything I'd ever want out of a Spawn page. The best of all worlds was on that page - Capullo, McFarlane, and Spawn. It wasn't to be as someone else beat me to it.

Holy cow! I have bought covers by Quesada and Art Adams for half the price of Capullo pages with 5 panels!

If he can get that money, good on him - it's more than I'd pay but I can't argue with those that are passionate enough about his work to cut that cheque.