• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, bababooey said:

It's still a discussion thread.  If Jay wants to post without any feedback, questions or criticism then that's what blogs and spec site articles are for. 

I think you've got it backwards.

I’m not too sure you understand what I was getting at from your response. 

I’m well aware that this is a thread open for discussions. Yet a few people continuing to pick at a list Jay created with his own set of guidelines adds absolutely no value to the thread. 

Jay’s thread, Jay’s rules. If one cannot or chooses to not agree with them on countless occasions it’s trolling, it’s no longer a discussion imo. 

So I was merely making a simple suggestion. If anyone has such a issue with the list, than create your own with whatever guidelines you’d like. Pretty simple way to end the relentless attempts to poke holes in Jay’s list. 

Personally I’d love to see a list without the restrictions but I’m defintely not looking to start and update it, so I’ll just continue to appreciate Jay’s and the updates the provides. 

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

It's still a discussion thread.  If Jay wants to post without any feedback, questions or criticism then that's what blogs and spec site articles are for. 

I think you've got it backwards.

(thumbsu I love getting feedback on this list.  I have changed and updated the it multiple times based on boardie comments/suggestions. 

Come to think of it, this thing actually is due an update soon.  hm

-J.

1 hour ago, IntoAnother said:

I’m well aware that this is a thread open for discussions. Yet a few people continuing to pick at a list Jay created with his own set of guidelines adds absolutely no value to the thread. 

Jay’s thread, Jay’s rules. If one cannot or chooses to not agree with them on countless occasions it’s trolling, it’s no longer a discussion imo. 

So I was merely making a simple suggestion. If anyone has such a issue with the list, than create your own with whatever guidelines you’d like. Pretty simple way to end the relentless attempts to poke holes in Jay’s list. 

Personally I’d love to see a list without the restrictions but I’m defintely not looking to start and update it, so I’ll just continue to appreciate Jay’s and the updates the provides. 

I linked this list a few pages back.  This is an "all-in" top modern variant list up to 100:

https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/variant-comics.html

I like to keep this list tight with a fairly strict methodology so that it really does represent a top of the top variants, the blue chippers of the age, if you will.  By applying the same set of standards, I feel we really can see what is the best of the best, and it tends to eliminate the outliers.  I do agree that the chirping about the methodology is somewhat grating at times.  Although it seems simple, I actually spent more time compiling the "rules" for the list than I did the books to put on it (that was the easy part).  But as they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time.  :)

-J.

On 4/26/2016 at 7:07 PM, ygogolak said:

I would assume Batman 608 RRP would fall under that same category, but it doesn't have a UPC and it looks like it was released the same month.

It wasn't released the same month. First printing of 608 was released in October. 2002 Retailer Roundtable was in November at the earliest.

16 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I linked this list a few pages back.  This is an "all-in" top modern variant list up to 100:

https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/variant-comics.html

I like to keep this list tight with a fairly strict methodology so that it really does represent a top of the top variants, the blue chippers of the age, if you will.  By applying the same set of standards, I feel we really can see what is the best of the best, and it tends to eliminate the outliers.  I do agree that the chirping about the methodology is somewhat grating at times.  Although it seems simple, I actually spent more time compiling the "rules" for the list than I did the books to put on it (that was the easy part).  But as they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time.  :)

-J.

Thanks for the link Jay. (thumbsu

I wasn't aware of that site. I was a bit surprised to see the Ruby Red so hight on the list. I’m aware they rarely pop up but it’s also a book that’s rarely discussed so I wasn’t sure if it had that much demand to bring in those numbers. 

On 1/18/2018 at 5:31 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I like to keep this list tight with a fairly strict methodology so that it really does represent a top of the top variants, the blue chippers of the age, if you will. 

-J.

No, I won't. 

Why don't I start thread about "Most Valuable ____________ - The Rankings" and list the books I own at the top??? :idea:

I love this

Said to have as few as 225 copies printed, this stunning variant comics cover was the first modern variant to break the five figure threshold, and was followed by a sale of a 9.6 for $8,000 shortly thereafter.”

On 1/18/2018 at 3:40 PM, IntoAnother said:

Are you two related? hm

On 6/24/2017 at 4:41 AM, Jaydogrules said:

CGC doesn't notate everything on their labels.  It has a publication date a month later than the first printing and its bar code indicates it is a third printing as well.   It was given out to the attendees at the summit that year, but it is still designated as a third printing.  

https://summits.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/54/787?articleID=118463

-J.

Guess it's not on the list because you don't own one?

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Like it or not, inflated by false bidding or not, this book is now legitimately selling for over $1k.

Rick & Morty #1 1:50 variant $1,200

Rick & Morty #1 1:50 variant $1,275

Its sales like this that make me realize there are certain aspects to comic collecting I will never understand, no matter how hard I try. 

Thanks for the notices on these recent sales guys.  I have been following most of them.  

Rick and Morty 1- not three years old and too much documented market manipulation to determine a bona fide FMV.  Will continue to monitor sales.  

Tsum Tsum - Not three years old, only one sale, not enough data.  

Spawn 222- Last sale is probably too low to keep it off the list  (since it was evidently part of a lot).

Will update list soon.  Keep the suggestions coming! 

-J.