• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The two most common excuses for buyers remorse

234 posts in this topic

It's obvious that he doesn't understand that there is a community here and people will do nice things for each other simply for that reason. You can explain it all you want, he's not going to get it. It's a shame really because that is one of the best parts of the boards, even more so than the drama threads that some crave.

You experience the boards the way you want to, and others experience it the way that they want to. I'm not looking to have this person or that person cut me a deal on a book. It would never enter into my mind to ask someone to take x amount off a book for this reason or that one. I wouldn't do it on eBay either. That is a foreign concept to me.

I come here to read post and gain information based upon this opinion or that opinion by this poster or that one.

Someone posts that their wife is dying from a rare form of cancer. A certain operation will give her a 90% chance of beating it, but they have no money. You and many others send him a check for $1,000 so she can have the lifesaving operation. He is not even married and heads for Vegas with everyone's money. I'm guessing you're fine with that.

I don't see "community" in my collection. If it was a community thing then many different people would own a part of it. The only people that own a part of it are my wife and I. If your comic book collection is a "community" thing then please send me a list of comics of all the comics you have so I can pull the comics I'd like out of it. I'm cashing out of your "community" collection.
:facepalm: Good grief.

Collection = community. (tsk):makepoint::gossip: Marketplace = community. :news::idea:(thumbs u

meh

Lucky is my buddy-I hope he changes his mind on this one.

I can understand that the original seller (OS) is miffed. However, the sale was legal. The sale was at a price the OS freely accepted. The OS doesn't have an issue until he see's that the buyer is selling it somewhere else. Until that point he looks at the sale as a "good" deal. The only change occurs because he feels he was lied to about the book. Is he mad at himself for buying into the story or mad because he didn't make the extra 2 bills? If it is the extra 2 bills then the "community" thing really doesn't exist for the seller. Yes, I can see it didn't exist for the buyer either.

I can't explain this in a way to get my point across any better. Thus, I will bow out of the thread as I do not wish to end up in a prolonged exchange that a MOD might view as something bad.

Legality is not the issue. The sale was accepted based on the premise outlined by the buyer which turned out to be false. The seller is mad because he was lied to.

Community does exist because a lie casts a shadow on real need. It enables distrust and nobody likes to be manipulated. If there is no trust, board transactions would be difficult.

Perhaps you see transactions as a game of "buyer beware"... Whoever can out smart the other is the WINNER. While this may ring true in the Darwinian sense, ie; the strong/smart survive. But civil people do not engage in animalistic behaviour.

So, Joey is not mad at himself for trusting a board member. He is mad that his trust was trampled on where it was unwarranted. That is... assuming I'm following the trail correctly :eek:

I can understand that the original seller (OS) is miffed. However, the sale was legal. The sale was at a price the OS freely accepted. The OS doesn't have an issue until he see's that the buyer is selling it somewhere else. Until that point he looks at the sale as a "good" deal. The only change occurs because he feels he was lied to about the book. Is he mad at himself for buying into the story or mad because he didn't make the extra 2 bills? If it is the extra 2 bills then the "community" thing really doesn't exist for the seller. Yes, I can see it didn't exist for the buyer either.

I can't explain this in a way to get my point across any better. Thus, I will bow out of the thread as I do not wish to end up in a prolonged exchange that a MOD might view as something bad.

I think you have explained your point well. I think the OP is mad at both himself and the buyer...the buyer for lying and himself for believing it. In the end I also agree that I sell my books for money and not good feelings, so although I would be upset I would have to assume some fault for my upset-ness. The OP cut the guy a deal in good faith and should still feel that he tried to do the right thing regardless of an outcome he did not expect - accept that your good nature sometimes gets taken advantage of and try to protect against it if it continues to bother you. I felt better about feeding the birds when I stopped freaking out that the squirrels are eating the bird feed and realized the squirrels are hungry too and it is the price of business.

Yes, but the squirrels are not pretending to be birds. The "price of business" has a bigger cost than you realize. If people stop trusting each other because they are afraid to get scammed, manipulated or lied to, business would fall short or perhaps stop all together. These boards in particular are based on trust... which is what makes it a community. Take away that trust, you hurt the community.

Thread like this are great, you get to see who the decent folks are and who the creamy, steamy piles are.

I think you have explained your point well. I think the OP is mad at both himself and the buyer...the buyer for lying and himself for believing it. In the end I also agree that I sell my books for money and not good feelings, so although I would be upset I would have to assume some fault for my upset-ness. The OP cut the guy a deal in good faith and should still feel that he tried to do the right thing regardless of an outcome he did not expect - accept that your good nature sometimes gets taken advantage of and try to protect against it if it continues to bother you. I felt better about feeding the birds when I stopped freaking out that the squirrels are eating the bird feed and realized the squirrels are hungry too and it is the price of business.

Yes, but the squirrels are not pretending to be birds. The "price of business" has a bigger cost than you realize. If people stop trusting each other because they are afraid to get scammed, manipulated or lied to, business would fall short or perhaps stop all together. These boards in particular are based on trust... which is what makes it a community. Take away that trust, you hurt the community.

Yes, I agree entirely. but when you trust you have to realize that the trust may be broken. You should understand that and behave accordingly. Trust as an adult and trust responsibly and understand that trusting people is a virtue and in many ways its' own reward. I never stated you should stop trusting but you should understand that trust comes with vulnerability.

It would be eye opening if people would come forward and identify themselves as alumni from the W.C Fields School of Business practice.

School motto- "Never give a sucker an even break"

It would certainly make things safer. We could have a W.C.List and a Hall of Pain. :slapfight:

we have personal lists for all of that :slapfight:

A true community values members who offer dissenting opinions respectfully and honestly. But that gets you on the personal lists too apparently!

Thread like this are great, you get to see who the decent folks are and who the creamy, steamy piles are.

A - friggin' - men.

(1) People who are whipped should not buy collectible comics (or should be willing to sleep on the couch).

(2) People who are on thin ice with a job, or who do not have a reasonable buffer of money saved in case of a life problem, should not buy collectible comics.

:applause:

-slym

we have personal lists for all of that :slapfight:

A true community values members who offer dissenting opinions respectfully and honestly. But that gets you on the personal lists too apparently!

Well, duh?

Anyone who doesn't see the issue in Joey's scenario is not someone I would want to deal with.

I had a board member use the wife excuse on the Avengers 57 I sold him. Gave me every "this is my Grail book, I am taking this to my grave" line to get it for a discounted price from me. A week later I see it up an HighGrade Comics site for considerably more. When I asked him why he was selling his "Grail" book he used the wife excuse. When I said no problem, send me back the book and I will refund payment and shipping he all of a sudden could not arrange for that to happen. I hope some board detectives can pull up that sales thread to see who it was.

There is no indication who bought that AV 57 - if it is the 8.5 from the March Sale for a Grail thread. Maybe done via PM?

lol - I looked as well and came to the same result. I figured he meant the Avengers 8.5 for $600.

Okay, we're not doing this again! Out the M-F. When I say I'm fed up of dirty flippers, this is exactly why.

Go! Go! Go!!!

:applause:

-slym