• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,341 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

they seem to only be interested in cranking out figures from the Marvel movies, and while I enjoy the Marvel movies well enough, I'm generally not a enough of a fan of the costume designs that I'd want to own figures of them. I don't buy the Marvel Legends MCU figures for the same reason. It looks fine on screen, but in a toy, I'm just not interested. If HT got back to doing a wider variety of licenses, I'd be onboard.

I feel the same way about Hot Toys; I wish they'd do more figures based upon comic models, not movie actors who play superheroes.  That's the reason I like Revoltech right now, their designs are all based upon comic book designs.

Also, what about the other Sideshow premium figures, do you like those?  Sideshow distributes both Hot Toys and other figure creators, too, right?  Here's a Daredevil based upon the comics, not the Netflix show like the one Hot Toys makes.  Are the other artists that Sideshow distributes as good as the Hot Toys figures?

Sideshow_Daredevil_1024x1024.png?v=14876

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I feel the same way about Hot Toys; I wish they'd do more figures based upon comic models, not movie actors who play superheroes.  That's the reason I like Revoltech right now, their designs are all based upon comic book designs.

I feel the exact opposite way than you about the Revoltech designs; most of them are absolutely AWESOME design.  What do you not like about the Revoltech Batman, for example?  I ADORE these extreme designs, most of them remind me of Jim Lee-style art translated into a figure.

Yeah, those extreme designs are a turn off for me, and not a Jim Lee fan either, for the most part. I'm boring, I like my toys to look like the comics I grew up with. The Revoltech looks a little too anime inspired for my tastes. Just not my thing. Luckily, there's no shortage of Batman figures out there to choose from!

44 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Also, what about the other Sideshow premium figures, do you like those?  Sideshow distributes both Hot Toys and other figure creators, too, right?  Here's a Daredevil based upon the comics, not the Netflix show like the one Hot Toys makes.  Are the other artists that Sideshow distributes as good as the Hot Toys figures?

Sideshow_Daredevil_1024x1024.png?v=14876

Yeah, Sideshow is a distributor for Hot Toys and many others, but they also do their own in-house stuff, like these Marvel figures. I like the IDEA of a lot of their figures more than the execution. Something about the face sculpts usually seems "off" to me. But all in all I definitely prefer the character/costume selection to the movie-inspired Hot Toys stuff, for sure.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

The Revoltech looks a little too anime inspired for my tastes.

Yea, I can see that, that's definitely in there.  The one I've noticed it the most on is the Revoltech Psylocke pictured below; her face looks TOTALLY anime.  But all of them look at least somewhat anime-styled, and I, too, would prefer they didn't.

It's the insane articulation I can't get past.  I haven't seen ANYTHING that comes close to what Revoltech does.  Even though I'd prefer Psylocke to not have the anime eyes on the figure below, the articulation and attention to stylistic detail boggles my mind, it just looks AMAZING.  (worship)  My main gripe about Revoltech's articulation is that Hot Toys covers their articulation points up with skin or costume, but Revoltech just puts the joint out there.  And the joints are a bit ugly.  I can't help but wonder if it's possible to maintain Revoltech's articulation but cover it up somehow.  hm

de754d8a-720c-48c4-a2f0-991c7dc65484.jpg

9 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, Sideshow is a distributor for Hot Toys and many others, but they also do their own in-house stuff, like these Marvel figures. I like the IDEA of a lot of their figures more than the execution. Something about the face sculpts usually seems "off" to me. But all in all I definitely prefer the character/costume selection to the movie-inspired Hot Toys stuff, for sure.

Where Hot Toys is killing it for me is the Star Wars figures that have no comic version of them to compete with in my mind.  I can't look at their upcoming Darth Maul as anything but completely awesome.  (worship)  Their Boba Fett looks spectacular too.

Darth Maul:  https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-darth-maul-special-edition-hot-toys-9038531/

Boba Fett:  https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-boba-fett-deluxe-version-hot-toys-903352/

star-wars-darth-maul-sixth-scale-figure-  star-wars-boba-fett-deluxe-version-sixth

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, I can see that, that's definitely in there.  The one I've noticed it the most on is the Revoltech Psylocke pictured below; her face looks TOTALLY anime.  But all of them look at least somewhat anime-styled, and I, too, would prefer they didn't.

It's the insane articulation I can't get past.  I haven't seen ANYTHING that comes close to what Revoltech does.  Even though I'd prefer Psylocke to not have the anime eyes on the figure below, the articulation and attention to stylistic detail boggles my mind, it just looks AMAZING.  (worship)  My main gripe about Revoltech's articulation is that Hot Toys covers their articulation points up with skin or costume, but Revoltech just puts the joint out there.  And the joints are a bit ugly.  I can't help but wonder if it's possible to maintain Revoltech's articulation but cover it up somehow.  hm

de754d8a-720c-48c4-a2f0-991c7dc65484.jpg

yeah, even I have to admit that is pretty snazzy, and certainly better articulated than the recent Marvel Legends figure!

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Where Hot Toys is killing it for me is the Star Wars figures that have no comic version of them to compete with in my mind.  I can't look at their upcoming Darth Maul as anything but completely awesome.  (worship)  Their Boba Fett looks spectacular too.

Darth Maul:  https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-darth-maul-special-edition-hot-toys-9038531/

Boba Fett:  https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-boba-fett-deluxe-version-hot-toys-903352/

star-wars-darth-maul-sixth-scale-figure-  star-wars-boba-fett-deluxe-version-sixth

Yes, totally agree, if I was a SW collector, I'd be all over that stuff.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

That's a statue, isn't it?

It's a figure with a display. I think Phicen makes them...or TBLeague or whatever they call themselves these days. I've been on the fence about Phicen's stuff for a long time. The seamless bodies look great, but I worry that they'll degrade over time, like the rubber on some of the Hot Toys stuff.

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

It's a figure with a display. I think Phicen makes them...or TBLeague or whatever they call themselves these days. I've been on the fence about Phicen's stuff for a long time. The seamless bodies look great, but I worry that they'll degrade over time, like the rubber on some of the Hot Toys stuff.

The Hot Toys rubber is degrading?  Is it with age or repeated bending?  Hadn't heard about that.  When did they start releasing figures?

Went looking for example images of Hot Toys degrading and could only find one--a Rambo released in 2000 with lots of cracks pictured below.  Is it possible they've changed materials since then to address this?

906_rambo.jpg

20 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Went looking for example images of Hot Toys degrading and could only find one--a Rambo released in 2000 with lots of cracks pictured below.  Is it possible they've changed materials since then to address this?

906_rambo.jpg

:whatthe:

That is unbelievable. Won't complain about vintage toy deterioration ever again!

4 hours ago, comicwiz said:
4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

906_rambo.jpg

:whatthe:

That is unbelievable. Won't complain about vintage toy deterioration ever again!

At least in Rambo's case, just paint some red paint over the cracks and it will look perfectly normal

16 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

906_rambo.jpg

It seems to be hit or miss and somewhat dependent on the climate that the figure is stored in. There are many instances not only of the cracking you show here, but also of the rubber "weeping", or "leaking" something like oil. Whatever oil they were making the rubber suits out of, it can break down and start leaking. If you search for "Hot Toys rubber deterioriating" or "weeping" or "leaking", you should get lots of hits on message boards and youtube and stuff. Lots of examples floating around out there, unfortunately. 

Basically any of the figures that are covered in rubber, have "seamless" joints, etc can be subject to both the cracking (especially if they're kept in an "extreme" pose for an extended time) and the rubber deteriorating. There are many instances of this happening, I know that a lot of folks had issues with the Alien figures (Big Chap, Kane and Dallas) with the rubber issue, and Sarah Conner had a lot of issues with the cracking elbows. Then again some folks had the same figures and never saw a bit of trouble. So it's hit or miss, but definitely something to keep in mind before laying out a lot of cash for them.