• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,341 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I never had a handle on Mr Sinister...

I knew he was out for DNA too, but I wasn't sure his power.

He's a human and an evolutionary biologist who was a contemporary of Charles Darwin who believes mutants are an improvement upon humanity.  He learned about Apocalypse, woke him up, and after the death of Sinister's wife Apocalypse genetically manipulated him to have an array of powers that are effectively a mix of Jean Grey, Mystique, and Wolverine.  His name comes from his attempt to bring his dead son back to life...he asked his wife for forgiveness on her deathbed, but she said "to me, you are... utterly… and contemptibly… sinister!"  He took his name from her last words to him.

His obsession with and direct ties to the history of humanity's understanding of evolution are what I find interesting about him.  Both he and Apocalypse could be done well in film, Bryan Singer just didn't cover enough of the back story to make En Sabah Nur compelling.

Edited by fantastic_four

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

He's a human and an evolutionary biologist who was a contemporary of Charles Darwin who believes mutants are an improvement upon humanity.  He learned about Apocalypse, woke him up, and after the death of Sinister's wife Apocalypse genetically manipulated him to have an array of powers that are effectively a mix of Jean Grey, Mystique, and Wolverine.  His name comes from his attempt to bring his dead son back to life...he asked his wife for forgiveness on her deathbed, but she said "to me, you are... utterly… and contemptibly… sinister!"  He took his name from her last words to him.

His obsession with and direct ties to the history of humanity's understanding of evolution are what I find interesting about him.  Both he and Apocalypse could be done well in film, Bryan Singer just didn't cover enough of the back story to make En Sabah Nur compelling.

It's amazing to me how Bryan Singer has a career in Hollywood considering his lackluster attempts at the X-Men, but I guess each movie made a profit so that's all that matters. 

39 minutes ago, maraxusofkeld said:

It's amazing to me how Bryan Singer has a career in Hollywood considering his lackluster attempts at the X-Men, but I guess each movie made a profit so that's all that matters. 

Days of Future Past was very good, and so was the second X-Men film.  The first X-Men film was fine, and compared to everything that came before it was SPECTACULAR...it only doesn't hold up as much in retrospect since it launched the new age of superhero films.

53 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Days of Future Past was very good, and so was the second X-Men film.  The first X-Men film was fine, and compared to everything that came before it was SPECTACULAR...it only doesn't hold up as much in retrospect since it launched the new age of superhero films.

This is it precisely. We currently live in a world where superhero movies are the dominant form of entertainment, where they obliterate box office records and also gain Oscar nods.

Back when X-men came out, its greatest accomplishment was that it DIDN'T TOTALLY SUCK. And this was a VERY big deal. It had been accepted for so long that making a good X-Men movie, or any kind of good superhero movie, was impossible. At that point we had two decent Superman movies, two arguably decent Batman movies, and that was it. 

I rewatched all of the X-Men movies with the missus recently. The first movie isn't very good at all, but it was competent, and at the time, that was enough to get the foot in the door for superhero movies. Spider-Man followed, and eventually we got Iron Man, and the rest is history.

As actual FILMS, I think the second one is probably still my favorite, and I think DofP is a lot of fun as well. We watched Apocalypse this weekend, which I hadn't seen since it was in the theater. My recollection was that I hadn't liked it, but I actually liked it quite a bit last week.

Bryan Singer has made BILLIONS of dollars for movie studios. His name is not one you associate with great art, but it certainly one that producers have long associated with profitable movies. 

However, looks like his creepiness has finally caught up with him. Hollywood turned a blind eye for a long time as he kept bringing in $$$, but it looks like he may finally answer for the stuff he's done, money or not.

48 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Bought a couple sets of these today. 

Not worth a lot, but ultra cool. 

LOVE the artwork.  When I opened the 1st, there were two sets of armies inside (not just 1).  The 1st is the expected Italian army and the 2nd is the unexpected German army.  

I'll check on the other box tomorrow. 

Looks like ERTL distributed in the US from ESCI.  But these appear to be straight up ESCI (from Italy).

Patrick 

20190221_195428.jpg

20190221_195403.jpg

20190221_195457.jpg

20190221_195515.jpg

I've never seen them still on the injection mold trees. That's pretty cool. 

4 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I didn't see anyone post this here unless I missed it. But a Vehicle Voltron and a re-release of the Lion Voltron is coming out.

https://news.toyark.com/2019/02/15/toy-fair-2019-tamashii-nations-gundam-voltron-disney-332884

Hmm. I've already got a beautifully mint original Vehicle Voltron, but a reissue does sound nice. 

Got my figure bags in last week and got everything in them.  REALLY glad I went with 4 mil thickness, they slide over each other and stack incredibly well with no danger even when I put the bigger figures onto the smaller ones, although I do keep any that are over a pound towards the bottom and my two 20" sentinels are at the bottom of this box.  Not feeling much need for separate accessory bags yet.

znNPund0mvPYqgaYIoJ_cB-8J62xGdTEwHehbJZQ

Edited by fantastic_four

On 2/20/2019 at 1:15 PM, F For Fake said:

I'm stoked about the classic Colossus/Juggs pack, will definitely pick that one up, as well as the Classic Wolvie/Hulk, as that Wolverine mask sculpt is SWEET.

Meant to say this the other day, but I am so disillusioned with all of the Marvel Legends Wolverine figures because the claws are absolutely stupid.  Even if you heat them up and straighten them, 90% of the time they still get out of alignment and look like the picture below.  I hadn't thought of it until I got both figures, but this claw design works SIGNIFICANTLY better on X-23 because she only has two claws, so if one or the other is splayed out you barely notice it, but when there are three any one that gets out of alignment looks bad next to the other two.  Note in the X-23 pic below the left hand claws are off at angles, but it barely matters, all you have to do is point them away from each other in some way and it looks fine.

img_1908.thumb.jpg.0b5dd76a3559ba5637ace2c9d26bf8e0.jpg bft41GfVOXCcJyC_Oocz8KCifi3k8g_sfNTxuCKSmfbDy7gkMAjiTiQtSMNd3WxTXk5YrwPSVAlYV5LDsx_dzHSrySEmYxCJuOfNsIbGK_-B8Jo3j6H9r117Q5U3tAosZ2ZxEO2hGZTVSGmuWsICdwYh42OFilERJ-_oRFbm8rJ8i3NX1wOzQW7KUbDcPDlhRA6DuVvSXVDYwDekGHS-W2seXUj6NsD9kV39yqn2OLVUjrQzwVh03dwjO6tqhHjjf9GuUuycVkF_rYFMa9KYcV8uFo4gDzLStsES2S8oyicuj1L7xIK8n15R6gvubR0YxjkxQoCb2Shrq248iVhwdGiwKtAQBsqosoVVG59EUR6xcqNeWdlJx2FtEYUXSVujjU6cd4_cThZUnBoHsO_IlKpoJaq4olHg6LQArcqaMY4CnZIOTp_P71JsY8XIbAyg57wBtLhkHlQrRKo7Nj-vSQR64e1jDXkfr3x3hTi8N24WHy_28ut10mQuiZS9gKAomjWnXR9ijMadu6H_pVB2yNnXtSaT5GWoCdNeV5I6dO_ztJK5TY2IcFalC0rkHyRkSkRt-SqbAeVE6ho6bPQgGhLaD3REPTD2kNCpJiB5T32m9iYBESLuKVJdssZewh3KW8QntcrFQs8ZmAGu2g4waON-JSYIJg_rfvbmgAqoogvIGaGTjJRt3INEZunQJdariNTRkOX8xxgf5DaUUFpgmJ0JSg=w3024-h4032-no

Edited by fantastic_four

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Got my figure bags in last week and got everything in them.  REALLY glad I went with 4 mil thickness, they slide over each other and stack incredibly well with no danger even when I put the bigger figures onto the smaller ones, although I do keep any that are over a pound towards the bottom and my two 20" sentinels are at the bottom of this box.  Not feeling much need for separate accessory bags yet.

znNPund0mvPYqgaYIoJ_cB-8J62xGdTEwHehbJZQ

Also, I mostly keep figures in the bags because I prefer my displayed ones to only be in action poses.  So my plan has been to keep most of them stored and as many as will fit into my display cases out, and I periodically swap them in and out of storage as I set up new poses.  What actually happens is I set up a pose, my kids see the figures in the action poses, and they immediately want to play with the figures that are posed.  I haven't been able to keep a pose up for a single shelf in my display cases for more than a day so far, so my cases are almost always empty or just have figures laying around randomly after my kids raided the pose.   :grin:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 2/22/2019 at 3:47 AM, followtheleader said:

Bought a couple sets of these today. 

Not worth a lot, but ultra cool. 

LOVE the artwork.  When I opened the 1st, there were two sets of armies inside (not just 1).  The 1st is the expected Italian army and the 2nd is the unexpected German army.  

I'll check on the other box tomorrow. 

Looks like ERTL distributed in the US from ESCI.  But these appear to be straight up ESCI (from Italy).

Patrick 

20190221_195428.jpg

20190221_195403.jpg

20190221_195457.jpg

20190221_195515.jpg

i love these soldiers, in fact I still have my little case filled to the brim from my childhood, I'll NEVER get rid of them they were my friends.<3