• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,341 posts in this topic

I remember getting all the Robotech comics for some reason when I was a kid even though I watched the show. I also remember that "Robotech to the rescue" toy commercial.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, F For Fake said:

Nice little MASK pick up from FB today! A couple I needed for the personal collection, and some pieces I can use to complete others. I was stoked to find that Jackhammer still had the machine gun and Raven had both discs. Also two Matt Trakkers including a short mask. The guy said that he's starting to dig all of his stuff out, so hopefully there will be more cool stuff coming.

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

MASK is awesome. I still need to check out that new comic. I heard a movie was in the works too. I remember getting the figures before seeing the cartoon. I never had the base though. Those were the good days of toys for me. Going to a toy store and being surprised by the new lines. Or the large bases. There were tons back then. I remember the Thundercats Lair, I think I had Castle Greyskull but not Snake Mountain. I saw a new Snake Mountain that is crazy expensive. I think there was a good Dungeons & Dragons base with slime or some kind of water feature.

Someone posted that small yellow Transformer and it made me have a memory. Does anyone remember those gas guzzler cars? They didn't run on gas but you put water in them. I think this was around the time of those penny racer cars. You would put a penny in the back to make them do wheelies. I have to search for these now.

35 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

I remember getting all the Robotech comics for some reason when I was a kid even though I watched the show. I also remember that "Robotech to the rescue" toy commercial.

MASK is awesome. I still need to check out that new comic. I heard a movie was in the works too. I remember getting the figures before seeing the cartoon. I never had the base though. Those were the good days of toys for me. Going to a toy store and being surprised by the new lines. Or the large bases. There were tons back then. I remember the Thundercats Lair, I think I had Castle Greyskull but not Snake Mountain. I saw a new Snake Mountain that is crazy expensive. I think there was a good Dungeons & Dragons base with slime or some kind of water feature.

Someone posted that small yellow Transformer and it made me have a memory. Does anyone remember those gas guzzler cars? They didn't run on gas but you put water in them. I think this was around the time of those penny racer cars. You would put a penny in the back to make them do wheelies. I have to search for these now.

I actually have all of those as well. Maybe I can get some pics soon. I was so embarrassed to post my Thundercats collection because I'm such a completionist that I even have the Tongue-a-saurus. Never did find someone willing to sell a Mad Bubbler prototype, though...

On 3/2/2020 at 3:24 PM, StingerMcK said:

And I picked up these last week:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be776187695782_3529335813804853_3303632167694761984_n.thumb.jpg.aec1c9bf5ca976da7d00652af3547927.jpg

With the bone claws in that's the finest Wolverine action figure ever made in 6" form.  The only one that's any better is the Legends 12" Wolverine figure which has the exact same sculpt as this one, it's just bigger and more detailed.

The metal claws on this figure are just straight up trash though.  HATE how they easily jut out at odd angles.  I bought third-party metal claws for use with him from a guy who calls himself Can of Beams, those make the figure virtually perfect.

https://www.canofbeams.com/shop/claw-kit-style-2

nc+2.jpg?format=1500w

7 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Oh man, the 80's truly was the golden age for action figures. You can't beat the sheer amount of great concepts, designs, figures, playsets that were coming out of the woodwork. MASK was a second or third fiddle to the bigger lines like Transformers and GI Joe, but it was still awesome, and I had terrific times playing with them. I never had Boulder Hill either, and haven't been willing to pay up for one as an adult. Maybe some day. 

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

With the bone claws in that's the finest Wolverine action figure ever made in 6" form.  The only one that's any better is the Legends 12" Wolverine figure which has the exact same sculpt as this one, it's just bigger and more detailed.

The metal claws on this figure are just straight up trash though.  HATE how they easily jut out at odd angles.  I bought third-party metal claws for use with him from a guy who calls himself Can of Beams, those make the figure virtually perfect.

https://www.canofbeams.com/shop/claw-kit-style-2

nc+2.jpg?format=1500w

@fantastic_four were the metal claws easy to install? I've been considering them for a while, but was worried about messing up the figure. It's a super nice sculpt.

46 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

@fantastic_four were the metal claws easy to install? I've been considering them for a while, but was worried about messing up the figure. It's a super nice sculpt.

Extremely easy to install.  I own four sets of the first version of the claws (the picture I posted shows version 2, gonna get some of those next time I order other stuff from him) and I have all four sets in four different figures, and it was easy to install them into all of them.

Installing them VERY slightly increases the size of the hole already there for the Hasbro claws, but not so much so that the original claws no longer fit.  Can of Beams made them something like 1/64" bigger than the Hasbro claws so that they would fit in well and stay in place unlike the Hasbro claws.  If the holes on your figure are significantly offset then the claws will be, too, but none of my four figures have any of their six claw holes offset enough for it to look weird.  One of them is SLIGHTLY offset and the middle claw angled maybe 5 to 10 degrees too far off to one side when I first installed it, but I just pushed on the claw to adjust the available angle of the hole until it stopped doing that.

Mine are installed into the Apocalypse wave tiger stripe Wolverine, the vintage brown suit Wolverine, the first appearance Wolverine that came in the 2-pack with Hulk, and the same Love Triangle Wolverine that StingerMcK linked above.  I've heard you can put them into the Caliban wave X-Force Wolverine that came out last year, but I didn't try it because the claws that come out of the box with that one are styled differently and they stay amazingly straight on their own.  Those are the best Hasbro has ever done in terms of keeping straight, and I like the styling, too.  Below is a pic of my Apocalypse tiger stripe Wolverine with version 1 of the Can of Beams claws next to the X-Force Wolverine with its standard claws.

In summary the Can of Beams claws did everything I was hoping for and more.  I didn't realize how well they would spread out without me doing anything most of the time.  Like I said some figures have claw holes that are offset enough for them to look weird, but that only happened on one of the four figures I used them with, and manually pushing the claws against the hole fixed it.  The other three were perfection from first install onwards.  They stay in VERY well, I don't think I've had one fall out yet.

2jqOD3w9cOxySV9sAQF7KdwGPcFTWuSl3mY1hnZb

Edited by fantastic_four

I'm up to about 250 Marvel figures now.  I've bought pretty much everything that's out that I ever wanted in the Marvel Legends line, plus a small handful from other lines like Mafex or Revoltech.  I'm curious about Mezco figures but can't get into the aesthetic, the head sculpts all look weird and I'm not a fan of cloth costumes.  Mezco does cloth about as well as it can be done, but I still don't like the look of it, and moreover I'm concerned about the long-term durability of the material.  I really came close to buying the Mezco Magneto, but I just couldn't pull the trigger because I'm afraid that cloth costume will stretch out and become problematic in a decade or two.  The Mafex Cyclops and Thor coming out soon both look incredible, if reviewers don't find any of the quality control issues that Mafex figures often suffer from I'm all over both of those.

There weren't many new figures shown at the February Toy Fair I'm interested in, maybe 8 or 9 new Legends figures.  The one I like the best is the new Gwen Stacy figure with an alternate Mary Jane head in the new Spidey vintage wave, the sculpt on that is spectacular.  The Spider-Man in that wave looks to have spectacular articulation but it's tough to tell from just pictures, so I'll wait for a review to see how much the range of motion of the legs improved.  My favorite would have been the first appearance Storm figure, but there are a few things off about the look that I'm not a fan of.  Unless they fix some issues I may not buy that one at all despite it being one of my most-wanted figures.

Edited by fantastic_four

18 hours ago, Joshua33 said:

I actually have all of those as well. Maybe I can get some pics soon. I was so embarrassed to post my Thundercats collection because I'm such a completionist that I even have the Tongue-a-saurus. Never did find someone willing to sell a Mad Bubbler prototype, though...

I can't wait for pictures. I did see an Iron Studios Thundercats diorama statue set. I'm going to pick that up. I don't think we'll be lucky enough to get Silverhawks as well. That was another one I found in the toy aisles before seeing the show.

11 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Oh man, the 80's truly was the golden age for action figures. You can't beat the sheer amount of great concepts, designs, figures, playsets that were coming out of the woodwork. MASK was a second or third fiddle to the bigger lines like Transformers and GI Joe, but it was still awesome, and I had terrific times playing with them. I never had Boulder Hill either, and haven't been willing to pay up for one as an adult. Maybe some day. 

Maybe they will re-release the toys if the movie comes out. I was listening to the Retroblasting guy talk about how Hasbro is re-releasing old Star Wars figures and perhaps others. And how that is what the G.I. Joe Classified line should be basically. Larger scale and classic costumes. So perhaps we'll get MASK one day.

I know I'm considering that new Snowspeeder. That was my favorite vintage Star Wars vehicle probably because of the lights and the hook rope. Something about that AT-AT scene was so cool that I always wanted to recreate that. Maybe it also was because we had the Star Wars arcade to recreate the X-Wing trench run. But so many games couldn't recreate the AT-AT attack. The Atari version was disappointing I remember. It wasn't until I think the GameCube Star Wars game that I was happy with an AT-AT attack game.

1 hour ago, Spidey 62 said:

I have sold a great deal of my action figure collection in the last few weeks (simpsons, spawn, etc).  One of the things I have picked up is this figure, that I didn't know was out there.  I remember watching V when it originally came out and this is too cool.  The human mask fits over the lizard head.  Pretty minty, too.

20200306_211002.thumb.jpg.518dd3fadbebf6117ef3636403d2dcdb.jpg

I don't remember seeing this figure. Someone should make a statue or figure of Diana. She was the bad a**. Also the weapons and ship designs in that show were really good.

It's kind of funny that recently I just finished listening to some soundtracks from the V series that I downloaded. So many great scenes in that show.

Edited by GeneticNinja

On 3/6/2020 at 11:50 AM, fantastic_four said:

Extremely easy to install.  I own four sets of the first version of the claws (the picture I posted shows version 2, gonna get some of those next time I order other stuff from him) and I have all four sets in four different figures, and it was easy to install them into all of them.

Installing them VERY slightly increases the size of the hole already there for the Hasbro claws, but not so much so that the original claws no longer fit.  Can of Beams made them something like 1/64" bigger than the Hasbro claws so that they would fit in well and stay in place unlike the Hasbro claws.  If the holes on your figure are significantly offset then the claws will be, too, but none of my four figures have any of their six claw holes offset enough for it to look weird.  One of them is SLIGHTLY offset and the middle claw angled maybe 5 to 10 degrees too far off to one side when I first installed it, but I just pushed on the claw to adjust the available angle of the hole until it stopped doing that.

Mine are installed into the Apocalypse wave tiger stripe Wolverine, the vintage brown suit Wolverine, the first appearance Wolverine that came in the 2-pack with Hulk, and the same Love Triangle Wolverine that StingerMcK linked above.  I've heard you can put them into the Caliban wave X-Force Wolverine that came out last year, but I didn't try it because the claws that come out of the box with that one are styled differently and they stay amazingly straight on their own.  Those are the best Hasbro has ever done in terms of keeping straight, and I like the styling, too.  Below is a pic of my Apocalypse tiger stripe Wolverine with version 1 of the Can of Beams claws next to the X-Force Wolverine with its standard claws.

In summary the Can of Beams claws did everything I was hoping for and more.  I didn't realize how well they would spread out without me doing anything most of the time.  Like I said some figures have claw holes that are offset enough for them to look weird, but that only happened on one of the four figures I used them with, and manually pushing the claws against the hole fixed it.  The other three were perfection from first install onwards.  They stay in VERY well, I don't think I've had one fall out yet.

2jqOD3w9cOxySV9sAQF7KdwGPcFTWuSl3mY1hnZb

Awesome, thanks for the detailed breakdown, much appreciated! I think I'm going to go this route for sure!