• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bird said:

https://screenrant.com/marvel-fox-movie-rights-skrulls-mcu-explained/

3 word google search...fox...skrulls...marvel

Long story short, they share them. They share the Watchers too, only Uatu is a Fox property.

Thanks.

That doesn't really clear it up for me, though. Multiple skrulls appeared in FF # 2 - not just the Super Skrull. So it makes sense that the race as a whole would be as much a straight Fox property as the term "mutant." 

Likely has to do with named characters -- hence Uatu (a named Watcher) belongs to Fox while other (unnamed ones) do not. Ditto with the skrulls.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:13 AM, paperheart said:

if reviews are good, my over/under is $750MM ($350MM US, $400MM Int'l- i wonder whether it can even do the typical $100MM in China)

if the $75-85MM tracking in China is close to being correct, bump the int'l and WW by $50MM

That late premiere is why the embargo doesn't lift until tomorrow morning at 9 AM.  Looking forward to the reviews pouring in because they will dictate whether or not I go see it in the theaters since the trailer is meh to me.

55 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That late premiere is why the embargo doesn't lift until tomorrow morning at 9 AM.  Looking forward to the reviews pouring in because they will dictate whether or not I go see it in the theaters since the trailer is meh to me.

Somehow I have a feeling the "critics" will absolutely Loooooove it.  (thumbsu

-J.

9 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Finally...craving some Marvel buzzzzzz. Been pretty quiet as of late...

I think I've lost the Marvel love. Took me 10 months to finally watch Avengers IW and I enjoyed the movie well enough but just didn't experience the same level of fun I once had going to a Marvel movie. I think it started with Dr. Strange, a movie I was absolutely all onboard for. Movie finally comes out and somehow I don't make it to the theatre. I finally catch it on Amazon and, again, enjoyed it but never rewatched it. I started reading the Avengers during their mega-team days and Carol Danvers definitely had my adolescent affection. I just cant seem to reconcile Brie Larson in that role. She reminds me more of Alicia Silverstone from Clueless. Someone more appropriate for a teen comedy etc. Not sure how common the Marvel exhaustion is but I cant be the only one in that boat.

8 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

I think I've lost the Marvel love. Took me 10 months to finally watch Avengers IW and I enjoyed the movie well enough but just didn't experience the same level of fun I once had going to a Marvel movie.

Who's the hero of Infinity War--the Avengers or Thanos?  I'm still not sure it isn't Thanos.  hm  That's what I love about both that film and Black Panther, the central conflict is controversial enough such that the villain may actually be the hero.  In Black Panther I wasn't sure for a while that Eric Killmonger wasn't the actual hero.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Who's the hero of Infinity War--the Avengers or Thanos?  I'm still not sure it isn't Thanos.  hm  That's what I love about both that film and Black Panther, the central conflict is controversial enough such that the villain may actually be the hero.  In Black Panther I wasn't sure for a while that that Eric Killmonger wasn't the actual hero.

You are being too intellectual about it. As in life, it isn't what you do but how you do it. Ends don't justify the means and all that. Plus in movies if you are motivated by fear, hate, anger and other "negative" emotions you are not the hero. Anti-hero perhaps, but not the hero.

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

Ends don't justify the means and all that. Plus in movies if you are motivated by fear, hate, anger and other "negative" emotions you are not the hero.

Motivation being formed by hate is how I ruled out Killmonger as the hero, but are any of those motivating Thanos?  His motivation is that his species destroyed itself, and he's trying to prevent other species from doing the same thing.  If the ends don't justify the means then humanity is DEFINITELY villainous; we wipe out millions of creatures every day due to that reasoning.

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

You are being too intellectual about it. As in life, it isn't what you do but how you do it. Ends don't justify the means and all that. Plus in movies if you are motivated by fear, hate, anger and other "negative" emotions you are not the hero. Anti-hero perhaps, but not the hero.

Nah - maybe for Killmonger, but Thanos was simply an environmentalist.

He saw the path the universe was on -- massive overpopulation -- and acted to reset the balance by killing off 50% of all the creatures. Sacrificing in the short-term for what he saw as the literal long-term survival of all the species of the universe.

And - this may be overlooked - but once he got the time stone he could literally peer into the future to confirm his suspicions of this long-term catastrophe if he did _not_ act.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Motivation being formed by hate is how I ruled out Killmonger as the hero, but are any of those motivating Thanos?  His motivation is that his species destroyed itself, and he's trying to prevent other species from doing the same thing.  If the ends don't justify the means then humanity is DEFINITELY villainous; we wipe out millions of creatures every day due to that reasoning.

Yeah, I was referencing Killmonger on the motivation part. Thanos is a kill monger though, so that counts him out. Killing for the sake of advancing his own agenda. 

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

Thanos is a kill monger though, so that counts him out. Killing for the sake of advancing his own agenda. 

In the comic, he's a villain.  In the film I didn't see evidence that he's clearly a villain.  What's the agenda you're referring to, you didn't think it was the one he repeatedly and explicitly stated throughout the film, to prevent all species from falling victim to the fate of his people on Titan?

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

In the comic, he's a villain.  In the film I didn't see evidence that he's clearly a villain.  What's the agenda you're referring to, you didn't think it was the one he repeatedly and explicitly stated throughout the film, to prevent all species from falling victim to the fate of his people on Titan?

That’s exactly what I meant by his agenda he didn’t know it was going to happen He just had a belief and so he killed all those people

With regards to using the time stone I think that was the last one he  got but I’m a firm believer in if it didn’t happen in the movie then you can’t just assume it happened. It’s much more likely that he was too arrogant to even look at the time stone he was so far along his plan by then again if it didn’t happen in the movie  then it didn’t happen 

Edited by Bird

2 minutes ago, Bird said:
5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That’s exactly what I meant by his agenda he didn’t know it was going to happen He just had a belief and so he killed all those people

Humanity has done exactly the same thing to EVERY other species that we have co-existed with on Earth.  Therefore, we, too, are villains using that logic.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Humanity has done exactly the same thing to EVERY other species that we have co-existed with on Earth.  Therefore, we, too, are villains using that logic.

I am talking about a movie, not arguing philosophy. And talking about one singular being, not many different beings with different thoughts, beliefs, etc.

Just now, letsgrumble said:

Bought my tickets for the morning of Saturday, March 9th.

I'm playing with fire by taking my 6 year-old daughter to a Marvel movie for the first time. :wishluck:

It’s going to scare the out of her sckrulls changing into kindly old grand ladies and everything

Just now, Bird said:
1 minute ago, letsgrumble said:

Bought my tickets for the morning of Saturday, March 9th.

I'm playing with fire by taking my 6 year-old daughter to a Marvel movie for the first time. :wishluck:

It’s going to scare the out of her sckrulls changing into kindly old grand ladies and everything

That is the risk.

She did see Into the Spider-Verse, twice, and she's now obsessed with Spider-Man and co. She has since watched all the Spider films and has no problem with Venom or the Lizard so I guess we did a good job getting her all desensitized in time for Captain Marvel.