• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

It did, and at the very end she ditched it.  I assumed she didn't realize the first time that she could survive in space, but by the end she somehow had discovered it.  Binary had that ability in the comic.

Wait - you mean...she slowly discovers the true extent of her powers over the course of the film?

Like...Wonder Woman?

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I really do need to go back and read those Binary appearances.

I know right? All of these comic arcs being talked about makes me want to go read them... been on the Kree/Skrull war currently... in which Carol Danvers appears!

Edited by Chuck Gower

Just now, fantastic_four said:

It did, and at the very end she ditched it.  I assumed she didn't realize the first time that she could survive in space, but by the end she somehow had discovered it.  Binary had that ability in the comic.

Yes at the end she had no mask. That and flying thru a Kree ship would seem to establish near-invulnerability. 

Im still wondering what the time length was from Fury activating her pager and when she arrives back on Earth. I’m sure they will clear that up next month. 

57 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

IMO we do, otherwise it creates a "leveling" problem, in that they can pretty much do whatever they want with any unexplained character. It leads to a lack of stakes, no gravity, and nothing to make stories with superheroes compelling.

I don't recall any explanation of Wolverine's powers in the first X-Men film, nor do we see him struggle with them.

We're just asked *accept* that this bare-knuckle brawler up in this Canadian bar has this healing power.

14 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

How is Thanos powerful enough - without the Gauntlet - to defeat both Thor and Hulk?

I don't remember seeing that explained.

"Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe!" - Guardians of the Galaxy

The writers and directors for Infinity War also mention that Thor doesn't have unlimited durability. After the events of Ragnarok, he was extremely drained of his power. Without a magical device like Mjolnir, his strength regenerates slower. That's kinda why he "needed" Stormbreaker.

Without using the stones, Hulk wins that fight 95 times out of 100, but Thanos has a chance.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I know right? All of these comic arcs being talked about makes me want to go read them... been on the Kree/Skrull war currently... in which Carol Danvers appears!

It's been too many years. Time to pull these books out of the box again. :banana:

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I don't recall any explanation of Wolverine's powers in the first X-Men film, nor do we see him struggle with them.

We're just asked *accept* that this bare-knuckle brawler up in this Canadian bar has this healing power.

It’s been a long time since I saw the first X-Men movie (I think it was probably at the theater lol) but they do clear up those questions in his solo movie. 

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Now we're going back to when I was, like, 10.

Back then I couldn't care less about compelling characters. I just wanted to see the X-Men beat some ___ in live-action. lol

7 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Yes at the end she had no mask. That and flying thru a Kree ship would seem to establish near-invulnerability. 

Or she could generate plasma and melt everything in front of her.  That's what Binary from the comic could do.

8 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I don't recall any explanation of Wolverine's powers in the first X-Men film

His were explained better than any of the other X-Men.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Or she could generate plasma and melt everything in front of her.  That's what Binary from the comic could do.

If it were Binary wouldn’t she be able to travel at the speed of light? She should have been back on Earth way before the remaining Avengers recovered Fury’s pager if that were the case. I think. (shrug)

33 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Carol is an ascended human. She was given Kree blood, then was near a McGuffin engine explosion. For me, and most people, that isn't enough of a description to allow me to suspend disbelief and just "accept" that she's this Supergirl.

I'm not sure you know what a McGuffin is.

The Holy Grail was a McGuffin in King Arthur, the 'thing that everyone chases that is there to advance the plot'. Did it stop that from being compelling?

Hitchcock's whole career revolved around McGuffins.

R2D2 was a McGuffin in A New Hope.

The briefcase in Pulp Fiction was a McGuffin. Didn't make it any less compelling.

That 'event' in Captain Marvel (and let's remember spoilers) is no different than the 'event' in Hulk #1 or Amazing Fantasy #15 or Showcase #4 or a dozen plus other superhero movies. You could call being born a mutant, a McGuffin if you want to get technical.

I've said, time and time again, regardless of gender

We know that's a lie, you've already shown your hand.

, all characters need defining moments and exemplified powers.

She HAS a defining moment. It just didn't work for you.

It's been the same way since Day 1 for me

Really? Where are your passionate posts on the HUlk's origin being a McGuffin? On Spider-man? On Green Lantern? On Cyborg? On Scarlet Witch and Vision?

and most, so going forward, any and all superheroes (Sentry included) need defining character moments and defined powers.

Yeah... now that a GIRL is in the game...

Normally the villains pop out of nowhere with huge power levels and lack of compelling traits. We root for the heroes to overcome these losers because we can't identify with them and "they're evil". Outside of the "evil" aspect, Carol is almost as one-dimensional as a weak MCU villain like Malekith or Ego.

Different rules for villains because... ya know... the GIRL....

Edited by Chuck Gower

11 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

It’s been a long time since I saw the first X-Men movie (I think it was probably at the theater lol) but they do clear up those questions in his solo movie. 

That's the point. Sometimes characters show up and we don't know everything about them at first. Later it's explained. Seems pretty simple, but Mr. Wikipedia needs to know everything NOW.

1 minute ago, bentbryan said:

If it were Binary wouldn’t she be able to travel at the speed of light? She should have been back on Earth way before the remaining Avengers recovered Fury’s pager if that were the case. I think. (shrug)

The nearest star to ours is Alpha Centauri, and that's four light-years away.  So travelling at the speed of light it would take four years to travel to the nearest star.  She'd have to travel using something else other than the speed of light to get between solar systems at all in a reasonable amount of time after that page from Fury.

The Kree seemed to be using something like a wormhole to jump between points around the galaxy.

24 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The Kree seemed to be using something like a wormhole to jump between points around the galaxy

The Tesseract that empowered her contains the Space Stone, which can be used to fold space and create stable wormholes.

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Tesseract that empowered her contains the Space Stone, which can be used to fold space and create stable wormholes.

It's possible she can utilize that, but they certainly never showed it in the film and Binary in the comic didn't have that ability.  When she took off into space at the end to fight the Kree, all I thought was "good luck, gonna take you a decade or ten to get where you're going."  Which fit with the character who was clearly still learning her limits.

Edited by fantastic_four

I'm talking a lot about Binary, but I have no idea what they did with the character in the aughts or since 2010.  Maybe she's just like the film version now; that's more likely to be true than not given the versions of all other Marvel characters shown in the films.

39 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

That 'event' in Captain Marvel (and let's remember spoilers) is no different than the 'event' in Hulk # 1.

She HAS a defining moment. It just didn't work for you.

This.

I still think he’s more butt-h##t about the _chronology_ in which her origin is depicted than the argument than that it wasn’t sufficiently explained.

That she’s introduced as a veteran Kree space warrior and then (later) we’re shown the radioactive explosion that gives her her powers.

God help us if the next Green Lantern film opens with a veteran Hal Jordan busting stuff up in space with the rest of the Corps!