• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So you tried to cook it and it didn't work? Well that helps point to a manufacturing defect of some sort.

I did. I’ve thought about apply actual heat to it (flat iron) or microwave but have heard that it causes the cracked version. I can try it with another one this week

On 7/23/2018 at 10:10 PM, jsilverjanet said:

a few weeks ago, I tried to recreate the blue hologram on a Wolverine 75 where the other 2 were blue. I place the book in the same bag as a blue one and left it in heat for several weeks (humidity also) but the hologram is still green.

I'm not sure what causes it to turn blue

yesterday I found this lot on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Force-25-NEWSSTAND-X-Men-25-X-Factor-92-Lot-RARE-BLUE-HOLOGRAM-HIGH-GRADE/223071932545?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I've got a heat gun and some extra X-Factor 92s, I'll test and report back.

6 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

LETS DO THIS

I am really hoping that it is a manufacturing thing... as I recently bought one that is blue/blacked out....

I see a lot of them advertised on ebay, but not all are marked on the label...

I'm sending it in to cgc in about 2bweeks, it'll be a while before I get them back, but I'll put it on the form, :wishluck:hopefully it'll end up on the label. I know it is one (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

LETS DO THIS

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I am really hoping that it is a manufacturing thing... as I recently bought one that is blue/blacked out....

I see a lot of them advertised on ebay, but not all are marked on the label...

I'm sending it in to cgc in about 2bweeks, it'll be a while before I get them back, but I'll put it on the form, :wishluck:hopefully it'll end up on the label. I know it is one (thumbsu

I will get scans/pics sometime tomorrow,  A few seconds of high heat from a heat gun approx. 1/2" off the surface was enough to affect it. Furthermore, after taking a look+pics, heat for approx. 1 min was applied, from further away (approx 2", with varying heights a few times). 

The first, initial high heat close to the surface produced an interesting result.  Because the heat gun barrel is approx. 1 1/4" in diameter, I was able to apply heat not covering the whole hologram.  The part that got heat turned blue in front of my eyes.  With some practice on timing/temp/distance, you could presumably make these, [ETA:but I suspect most of them out there are made by storing in non-climate control.[/EDIT]  The reason you need practice is that almost as quickly as it turned blue, it also buckled, so the front cover no longer lays flat.  The buckle is in the hologram area itself, not the paper, so no idea if it could be pressed out [Edit:  I suspect not, because it is a plastic].  Where the heat was not applied, stayed hologrammic (it's a word now, if it wasn't before.  Such is my power).  When I lingered for a few seconds, the hologram bubbled, though the bubble faded (I believe it's responsible for the cover not laying flat, but you can't see it once it's cool, only when it's formed under the heat).

The second, extended heat application did nothing to discolor the portion of the hologram that didn't initially turn blue.  If you try to make blue ones, better get it right the first time.  it did turn the majority of the blue to black.  Eventually, it did lead to cracks - in the non-blued area only as I concentrated heat there (by not moving the gun, not by geting it closer), but there are small surface cracks, not big cracks as posted above.  The buckling of the cover is more pronounced.  You can see a few tiny bubbles on the edge between blue/not blue.

I'm not sure the pics will accurately show the results due to the swamp gas refracting the light from venus depending on the angle you take the photo at, but hopefully the description provides some insight.

Edited by SteppinRazor

15 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

I will get scans/pics sometime tomorrow,  A few seconds of high heat from a heat gun approx. 1/2" off the surface was enough to affect it. Furthermore, after taking a look+pics, heat for approx. 1 min was applied, from further away (approx 2", with varying heights a few times). 

The first, initial high heat close to the surface produced an interesting result.  Because the heat gun barrel is approx. 1 1/4" in diameter, I was able to apply heat not covering the whole hologram.  The part that got heat turned blue in front of my eyes.  With some practice on timing/temp/distance, you could presumably make these, [ETA:but I suspect most of them out there are made by storing in non-climate control.[/EDIT]  The reason you need practice is that almost as quickly as it turned blue, it also buckled, so the front cover no longer lays flat.  The buckle is in the hologram area itself, not the paper, so no idea if it could be pressed out [Edit:  I suspect not, because it is a plastic].  Where the heat was not applied, stayed hologrammic (it's a word now, if it wasn't before.  Such is my power).  When I lingered for a few seconds, the hologram bubbled, though the bubble faded (I believe it's responsible for the cover not laying flat, but you can't see it once it's cool, only when it's formed under the heat).

The second, extended heat application did nothing to discolor the portion of the hologram that didn't initially turn blue.  If you try to make blue ones, better get it right the first time.  it did turn the majority of the blue to black.  Eventually, it did lead to cracks - in the non-blued area only as I concentrated heat there (by not moving the gun, not by geting it closer), but there are small surface cracks, not big cracks as posted above.  The buckling of the cover is more pronounced.  You can see a few tiny bubbles on the edge between blue/not blue.

I'm not sure the pics will accurately show the results due to the swamp gas refracting the light from venus depending on the angle you take the photo at, but hopefully the description provides some insight.

Based on that info, I'd say it is manufacturing then, as it may have been heat they used to apply the hologram to the book. As for making them at home, unlikely but maybe possible with enough practice? All the crinkles and cracks, I'm hoping it doesn't become possible...hope mine comes back with it on the label :wishluck:

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Based on that info, I'd say it is manufacturing then, as it may have been heat they used to apply the hologram to the book. As for making them at home, unlikely but maybe possible with enough practice? All the crinkles and cracks, I'm hoping it doesn't become possible...hope mine comes back with it on the label :wishluck:

My experiment was just one. And I was trying to duplicate the big cracks.  I suspect with enough trial and error, the right amount of heat may be able to be applied without causing the warp.  I'm dubious it would be worth the effort, but you never know what the right time/temp/distance is.  It could be stupid easy, and I'm just stupider.

I wouldn't take much away from my test other than it is likely a blue hologram was caused by a certain amount of heat exposure greater than most receive.  My suspicion is that it doesn't often happen by storage with the possible exception of leaving it outside in TX this past week or so.

Edited by SteppinRazor

19 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:
19 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My experiment was just one. And I was trying to duplicate the big cracks.  I suspect with enough trial and error, the right amount of heat may be able to be applied without causing the warp.  I'm dubious it would be worth the effort, but you never know what the right time/temp/distance is.  It could be stupid easy, and I'm just stupider.

I wouldn't take much away from my test other than it is likely a blue hologram was caused by a certain amount of heat exposure greater than most receive.  My suspicion is that it doesn't often happen by storage with the possible exception of leaving it outside in TX this past week or so.

Good information to know thanks for trying that. I just find it fun to find them now. I find about 2 to 4 a year now.

28 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Good information to know thanks for trying that. I just find it fun to find them now. I find about 2 to 4 a year now.

Do you search at a lot of places? Or do you think that they are really that common?

20 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
50 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Do you search at a lot of places? Or do you think that they are really that common?

2 to 4 books a year is not common. I look at quite a few books in a year.

This week’s haul: (I have not run into a Batman The Man Who Laughs first print in the wild in years and the Rune Silver Surfer is the regular version and not either of the two squarebound copies that were printed. I didn’t even know a copy with a cheaper cover price and binding existed!)

99D50393-15EC-47EA-8B28-DD26E3B7CFC3.jpeg

3FE80871-197B-4C82-97EE-9E4BA4F0CAB3.jpeg

84352D69-5A08-4DEC-B0CD-3D77E3BFD0D6.jpeg

D09FAB64-856C-4F35-B8EF-05B67388A09B.jpeg

8 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

See I was the opposite. I didn't know the squarebounds existed till the last few years. I bought the regular issue when it came out.

I’ve got a few of both squarebounds, but I had no idea this one even existed. I keep buying these with the hope that Marvel will eventually bring back the Ultraverse and I’ll get rich. Lol