• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Right here.

:hi:

Lazyboy's completely right. See my post above.

So now we DO KNOW print runs, gotcha.

Don't be disingenuous. Nobody said anything remotely like that.

Read the posts again.

36 minutes ago, WhatWouldJoeDo? said:

Yes they did, in the Previews catalog. Obviously no print run was mentioned since it was two months before the release of the book, but the 50/50 cover split was mentioned in the solicitation.

That was not the question I was responding to. I understand that you were not allowed to order one cover or the other. The Diamond code for example was only for the issue, not the cover.

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

I understand that you were not allowed to order one cover or the other. The Diamond code for example was only for the issue, not the cover.

??? How you you think that helps your argument?

Just picked up a bunch of nice books, most were $1 or $1.25. Batman later prints were $2 except for #397, which was 3. 

Web of Spidey #36, 3 copies #97, 2 copies #99. JLA #90 DCU, Batman #520-522 DCU.

Spawn #3 NS, Batman #397 2nd print (not collectors pack), #398 4th print, #414 2nd print multi-pack, #414 7th print,

#415 6th print, #416 6th print and #422 2nd print

5 hours ago, Philflound said:

Just picked up a bunch of nice books, most were $1 or $1.25. Batman later prints were $2 except for #397, which was 3. 

Web of Spidey #36, 3 copies #97, 2 copies #99. JLA #90 DCU, Batman #520-522 DCU.

Spawn #3 NS, Batman #397 2nd print (not collectors pack), #398 4th print, #414 2nd print multi-pack, #414 7th print,

#415 6th print, #416 6th print and #422 2nd print

no photos?

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Sweet, I picked up at batman 414 today too.  Which print is the rare one to get?

Dunno. Probably the later ones, but don't quote me on that. Pretty hard to find any of them.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Mine has something like Milleniun is coming or something like that in the logo. 

That's 1st print I believe and is the one I see the most on Ebay for under $5. The problem is that people aren't looking at the indicia most of the time and dont' know they are selling later printings. I'm working on a list right now to determine exactly how to spot later printings. Not all of the multi-pack versions have anything in the indicia to tell otherwise. They usually all have the same ads, usually a year or two after the book came out. Sort of like many of the Marvel 80s titles, which I was working on that list a year ago and never got around to finishing it. Batman #397 multi-pack doesn't state anything and 430-432 doesn't either. I know because I opened the packs 2 weeks ago and looked. I've been working on this list about 10 hours at least so far and haven't put a dent in what I want info on.

Oh, and I'm finding that certain issues have 6th or higher printings, but I can't seem to find any evidence of say 3rd or 4th printing. I'm leaving those with question marks.

Edited by Philflound

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Fun story. I’m set up at my local flea today blowing out some bulk (which I thought I had looked through and which had been to multiple shows). We were talking about artists who draw pretty girls and a guy pulls this out and asks if I want to keep it instead of selling it for 33 cents. Obviously I do and start to flip through it (it wasn’t bagged) and see this......SURPRISE!

2E2FBA1B-F116-42E7-95AF-AF9BDBC20E60.jpeg

53F1A293-E3A2-42A7-AEE8-C64DAEBA87A2.jpeg

D4A1E7E8-B7FA-422E-BB45-82EDFA763773.jpeg

I love surprises!:applause:

On 5/6/2018 at 11:49 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Fun story. I’m set up at my local flea today blowing out some bulk (which I thought I had looked through and which had been to multiple shows). We were talking about artists who draw pretty girls and a guy pulls this out and asks if I want to keep it instead of selling it for 33 cents. Obviously I do and start to flip through it (it wasn’t bagged) and see this......SURPRISE!

2E2FBA1B-F116-42E7-95AF-AF9BDBC20E60.jpeg

53F1A293-E3A2-42A7-AEE8-C64DAEBA87A2.jpeg

D4A1E7E8-B7FA-422E-BB45-82EDFA763773.jpeg

NICE! One of his all time great covers, and signed too! Oddly on-topic for this thread, this one really is relatively tough in the wild, compared to the rest of his output.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

NICE! One of his all time great covers, and signed too! Oddly on-topic for this thread, this one really is relatively tough in the wild, compared to the rest of his output.

Agreed. I think it may be the only cover of his that I had never found in the wild in the five years or so that I’ve been actively looking. Maybe a couple of more, but they aren’t coming to mind right now. 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, Lazyboy said:

It's not a "variant" in the way you're thinking, just the regular cover for an issue that also has an enhanced cover. It is slightly unusual in that the regular and deluxe versions have completely different designs, which was not that common for Marvels (much more so for DCs).

Although I certainly wouldn't call it bad, there's just something about that cover that doesn't do it for me.

Why isn't it a variant? I understand it was not some 1:500 deal like we do now. It just seems very few of the expensive cover got ordered.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Why isn't it a variant? I understand it was not some 1:500 deal like we do now.

According to the UPC, it's the standard (1) and the foil cover is the variant (2). But again, my point was that nobody ever refers to either 90s gimmicks or their regular counterparts as variants... except on eBay when they want prospective buyers to think they're special. meh

2 hours ago, the blob said:

It just seems very few of the expensive cover got ordered.

You mean more of the expensive gimmick cover, as was (nearly?) always the case? Sure. Or are you talking about current sale prices?

Currently available on eBay: 7 Regular Direct, 11 Foil Direct, 2 Newsstand

Recently sold on eBay: 7 Regular Direct, 16 Foil Direct, 8 Newsstand

Not exactly support for calling any specific version rare. Punisher 100 just isn't that easy to find, period.