• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 24-27, 2017
2 2

371 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I bought a Flash 167 there that ended up in a 9.4 slab. But lest you think me a genius, I also bought all 8-10 of his Flash #1s from 1987 at $7 a piece

Nah, I never thought you were a genius.

6 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Yeah, but do you guys remember Andy Ash's westside place over by the Ensley's par-3 golf course on 56th street?  Are you legit old school westside comic collectors, or just poseurs?

I learned to play golf at Ensley's par 3 course (before they turned it into a Marsh)!  Ash still organizes a few shows every year over off Michigan road.  I use to go Rangeline comics with @Shaolingoat and @Batmanderson all the time.  I have to give the second owner of Rangeline props because he was the one who told us to make sure to stock up on all the new Image titles.  I'm not sure where I'd be without 10 copies of Shadowhawk, WILDCats and Spawn.  I too sold my comics during college.  While it wasn't for med school, it was for medicinal reasons nonetheless. 

On 8/28/2017 at 1:51 PM, Guardian Comics said:

Well for an awful show I think I did awesome, as this represents some but not all of what I rescued from the walls of the bathfitters and psychics :cloud9:

Jim

IMG_1911.JPG

I remember several of those. ^^

I had a lot of organizing to do so even though I got to show on Wednesday I still needed several hours Thurs to get ready. I set my time for early birds at 2 pm Thursday. This picture was taken about 2:05. 

59a62a7088743_DealersWizardChicago2017.thumb.jpg.c802902a8d42e4cb84230108802f8640.jpg

As for all the Stuart Sayger comments the guy is super cool and very talented. I had him do this commission for me about 6 years ago at the small Indianapolis con. It hangs in my office next to a Kirby Thor page.

Sayger.thumb.jpg.4d118f71ed53a5a7a35591bcff5d20a4.jpg

I had a great show and plan on returning.

I had a really fun WW Chicago this year. Made some new friends, met some old friends, played a great morning of basketball, and bought some books. Overall, it was exactly as I was expecting. (thumbsu 

17 hours ago, lhcomics said:

I remember several of those. ^^

I had a lot of organizing to do so even though I got to show on Wednesday I still needed several hours Thurs to get ready. I set my time for early birds at 2 pm Thursday. This picture was taken about 2:05. 

59a62a7088743_DealersWizardChicago2017.thumb.jpg.c802902a8d42e4cb84230108802f8640.jpg

As for all the Stuart Sayger comments the guy is super cool and very talented. I had him do this commission for me about 6 years ago at the small Indianapolis con. It hangs in my office next to a Kirby Thor page.

Sayger.thumb.jpg.4d118f71ed53a5a7a35591bcff5d20a4.jpg

I had a great show and plan on returning.

Those are some sweet white shoes :baiting:

On August 29, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Shaolingoat said:

Andy opened the first comic store in that strip center when I was in fourth grade, then sold it to another owner in the early 90s if I remember correctly.  

There used to be a Linder's and a Roselyn Bakery right next to it.  Could get your sugar and comic fix in the same place.

And Andy still runs the ASH Comics Con...Indiana's longest running show....over 30 years!

Next one is Oct 15 for anyone in the vicinity that wants to make the trip....it is located on the North side of Indy at the Caribbean Cove hotel.  Always a good time! 

12 hours ago, Bearcatcoach said:

And Andy still runs the ASH Comics Con...Indiana's longest running show....over 30 years!

Next one is Oct 15 for anyone in the vicinity that wants to make the trip....it is located on the North side of Indy at the Caribbean Cove hotel.  Always a good time! 

So many great memories of Andy's show - back when it was at 21st and Shadeland.  

3 hours ago, seanfingh said:

So many great memories of Andy's show - back when it was at 21st and Shadeland.  

We have been setting up at ASH since 1989 and I agree...loved the Shadeland and 21st location....have lost quite a bit of attendance by moving up north.

Some of the shows in the 90's sported 1k+ attendance....wish there were still that many coming...would be a crazy atmosphere.

That being said we still do great so no complaints from me!