• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evelyn's VERY old Comics Discounts and group prices page 47

470 posts in this topic

Discounts page 47, link to new books

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9358083&fpart=45

This week, I'll be selling more of Evelyn's books. Today I'll be starting with Famous Funnies, I have a number of titles to list, and so far I've counted 25 books from before 1940, going back as far as 1935. :o

I've had a few previous sales of these books, but didn't put much information up about their source.

Some people asked the history of the books so I thought I'd put some info here.

Evelyn is the widow of an old time collector. She's in her 80's and he was 17 years older. He passed away about 12 years ago, but was ill with Alzheimer's for 10 years before that. I had previously thought he passed away before that, because I was buying books from the collection earlier than that, but when I asked her the other day, she said 12 years).

Her husband bought some of these books off the rack, but his hobby was going to antique stores and book stores to search for comics, he did that for many years. He was an amateur artist, so some of the books I purchased years ago, had amateur restoration, some was very good, some not so good (I suspect he didn't do the bad stuff, but bought them that way).

Ernie Gerber visited their home and many of the books in the Gerber guide, came from this collection.

Some of the super hero books I bought long ago, had their covers removed when a microfiche project was done years ago (for those of you to young to remember before photo copies, that was what was used). Some of those books had prophylactic tape added inside the covers and then the covers were put back. There is 1, so far in this group, but I did find at least 2 books so far with no staples, so I suspect they were part of the project.

When I bought books from this collection years ago, it was from someone I met through eBay. He had been buying the books through Evelyn and reselling them. Nice man, who called me a few month ago, said he was getting older and couldn't help her anymore and wanted me to help her sell the rest of her husband's collection.

She's a very sweet lady, so although I rarely will sell something for someone else, I agreed.

I just thought I was agreeing to sell about 150 books but the pile keeps growing, lol.

Please don't ask what else I am getting, because I really don't know, she's just boxing them and mailing them to me. I had a list, but apparently it's not accurate. Every time I open a priority box, it's a surprise, which is a of course a lot of fun.

I'll be getting more books this week. I have about 150 books I'm grading now. In a week or so, there will be some Hard Covers and Big Little books

When I bought books from the collection years ago, I found a Larson. I sold a Top Notch from the books I had kept a few years ago, and it turned out to be a Cosmic Aeroplane copy. I don't know know too much about Pedigrees (unless I buy them slabbed) but I was careful to research that one and I found 2 in the group I'm selling today.

There may be other Pedigrees in here, I really wouldn't have a clue unless it's something obvious.

Inside pictures! While I usually try to add them, I don't have time right now, there are just too many books and I need to get them sold before I have company (they are in my guest room;) IF you would like an inside picture, just pm me, and I'll gladly take them as needed.

For those of you who have bought from me before. you know I never ship in old bags and boards and I usually bag and board in Mylite 2's with full backing boards. These books came in very old bags and boards that I immediately discarded. I didn't have a lot of extra bags and boards, so while every bag and board you get will be new, some I got from Amazon and they are the less expensive type.

The collection is smoke free, but some of the books have a musty smell. I noted them when I could (the later Famous Funnies esp) but if you are sensitive (I know I am) ask me to check first, in case I missed something.

I accept Paypal, checks or MO's, Payment is due within 7 days please, unless we come to some other agreement.

First posted :takeit: wins, whether in the thread or by PM.

Shipping for these books is exact, wherever you are...well, except the Moon, that might take a while;) I use regional boxes whenever I can, anything over $200 must go signature required.

For raw books in the the US, a flat rate envelope with strong boards is $6.50, boxes go anywhere from $6 to $8 for one book. I'm in NY. Regional boxes to California are about $10, closer to NY is less. I can safely fit about 12 books in a Regional Box A, over that, I need to use the B boxes, which are higher.

Out of the US, I can do first class to Canada, but it's still expensive.

Returns. You can return anything for any reason as long as you notify me within 3 days of receipt and return the item the same way it was sent within 7 days. If I made an error in the description, I'll pay for return shipping.

While i usually give a longer return time, I can't on these because they belong to someone else.

While I usually take time payments, I can't on these, because they are not mine except for the WOW #1, I will take 30 days with a 10% non refundable down payment if you are in good standing.

..no listers! please...

[/color]

I'm starting with Famous Funnies.

ALL the Famous Funnies books that I'm listing, have Buck Rogers, later one, the Invisible Scarlett O'Neill appears, but more about her later.

I think this is the oldest book in the the present collection, probably the oldest one I've seen in person, esp with nice pages.

Sold

Famous Funnies #8, March 1935. Buck Rogers

Color is great, pages are W/OW

Centerfold is detached, there are small pieces of tape on the inside by each staple. I don't know if that means the staples were removed, or not, the staples are dark. Small red mark under the 2nd “N” in Funnies. Tiny splits at each end of the spine.

Creases at corners but otherwise it's in remarkable shape for it's age. Without the tape, it would be a VG/F . I'm going to price it at the Good (2.0) price because of the tape OSG is $220, Bin is the same.

famous%20funnies%208_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%208_0002.jpg

Famous Funnies #26, 1936 Buck Rogers.

Cover is detached, pages are in the W/OW range. Centerfold is attached, but it's on the loose side.

Someone panted the cover with red nail polish, so the grade is Fair (I hope that is not considered color touch, but it might) Tear about 1.5 inch . Good Guide is $60 bin is $30 Sold

famous%20funnies%2026.jpg

famous%20funnies%2026_0001.jpg

OK, I LOVE Pms, but there are too many books to give people lists and heads up.

Thank you, but when it gets like this, I'm afraid of mixing up pictures...so ...wait a bit, then ask, I'm only going to list for 2 -3 hours today, more tomorrow morning...etc.

Famous Funnies #32, 1937. First Phantom Magician (Costumed Hero) Buck Rogers Golfing Cover.

Pages are in the white range and supple, cover is detached and Split halfway. Grade is Good- (1.8) OSG in GD is $46, Bin is $35 Sold by PM

famous%20funnies%2032_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%2032_0002.jpg

Famous Funnies #36, 1937 Buck Rogers

Nice color, pages are W/OW, Small piece of tape at the top of the spine, covering a 3/4” split, some light creasing. Grade is VG- (3.5) OSG in VG is $84, bin is $50

Sold to Norrin's lawyer

famous%20funnies%2036_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%2036_0002.jpg

Famous Funnies #39, 1937 Buck Rogers. Football Pages.

W/OW pages. Crease lower right, 1/2 “ split at the top, through several pages.

1/4” split at the bottom, also through several wraps. Pages don't appear to be brittle. Book appears to be better than VG, but I'm grading it good because of the splits. OSG in Gd is $42, bin is $35 Sold to Norrin's lawyer

famous%20funnies%2039_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%2039_0002.jpg

Famous Funnies #43, 1938 Buck Rogers

Tears at both staples, but the cover is attached. 2” piece of tape at the bottom of the cover with what looks like a 2” cover split under it. Centerfold is detached. Small cover split at the top and the pages are split through most of the wraps there. That split does not look brittle, but it might be, the rest of the pages are ow/Cr and supple.

It looks a lot better, but let's call it a good for the split. OSG in Good is $37, bin is $25 (for a 1938 book)Sold

famous%20funnies%2043_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%2043_0002.jpg

1/4” split at the bottom, also through several wraps. Pages don't appear to be brittle. Book appears to be better than VG, but I'm grading it good because of the splits. OSG in Gd is $42, bin is $35

:takeit:

Famous Funnies #45, April 1938, Buck Rogers

Some dirt on the cover, a small piece missing at the top of the spine. Small tear right edge, small tear bottom of the front cover and one on the bottom of the back cover. Pages are Owand very supple. Grade is VG- (3.5) OSG is $74 in VG ($64.75) bin is $45

Sold to Norrin's lawyer

famous%20funnies%2045_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%2045_0002.jpg

1/4” split at the bottom, also through several wraps. Pages don't appear to be brittle. Book appears to be better than VG, but I'm grading it good because of the splits. OSG in Gd is $42, bin is $35

Sold, thanks, Greg!

Some dirt on the cover, a small piece missing at the top of the spine. Small tear right edge, small tear bottom of the front cover and one on the bottom of the back cover. Pages are Owand very supple. Grade is VG- (3.5) OSG is $74 in VG ($64.75) bin is $45

Thanks, Greg! Sold

Famous Funnies #49 Aug 1938 Fishing cover! Buck Rogers. One panel on page 4 was redrawn in Buck Rogers #3.

Nice color and pages are in the white range. There is a very little piece off the top of the spine, some dirt, not much, and a tiny corner crease bottom of the back cover. Really tiny piece off the bottom of the spine.Grade is Fine- (5.5) OSG in Fine is $111 ($101.75) Bin is $75 Sold to Norrin's lawyer

famous%20funnies%2049_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%2049_0002.jpg

#55, the book is complete, but the first wrap is detached and was glued in to the front. I've never seen this before, it seems like it would be easy to remove. Pages are nice, free with #49.

famous%20funnies%2055_0001.jpg

Famous Funnies #50 , 1938 , Buck Rogers, Copy A.

Some dirt on the cover, pages are in the white range. Small corner missing on the lower right, small piece (about 1/2” ) off the spine above the staple. Lower staple is detached, some pen marks on the back cover. Grade is GD/VG (3.0), OSG in VG is $74 bin is $40

famous%20funnies%2050A_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%2050A_0002.jpg

Famous Funnies #49 Aug 1938 Fishing cover! Buck Rogers. One panel on page 4 was redrawn in Buck Rogers #3.

Nice color and pages are in the white range. There is a very little piece off the top of the spine, some dirt, not much, and a tiny corner crease bottom of the back cover. Really tiny piece off the bottom of the spine.Grade is Fine- (5.5) OSG in Fine is $111 ($101.75) Bin is $75

famous%20funnies%2049_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%2049_0002.jpg

#55, the book is complete, but the first wrap is detached and was glued in to the front. I've never seen this before, it seems like it would be easy to remove. Pages are nice, free with #49.

famous%20funnies%2055_0001.jpg

Famous Funnies #50, 1938, Buck Rogers. Copy B

Cover is detached, there is some dirt. The centerfold is detached, there is a piece of tape on the centerfold. Pages are OW and supple, but there is a 1/2” split at the bottom of the spine that goes through most of the pages. Grade is Fair/GD (for the split) OSG is $37 bin is $20.

famous%20funnies%2050b_0001.jpg

famous%20funnies%2050b_0002.jpg