• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cap 1 vs. Marvel 1

20 posts in this topic

Wanted to bump this thread once so others in CG can register votes in a couple of interesting threads in the Gold section:

If given the choice and money being no object , would you choose comparable copies of:

Cap 1 (first Captain America, first Bucky, aka Winter Soldier, first Red Skull, Hitler cover) or Marvel 1 (first "human torch", first "Timely" comic, which later became "Marvel"): (vote on page 1)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9356972&fpart=1

And another poll, would you rather own an Action Comics 1 (first Superman and Lois Lane) or a Detective Comics 27 (first Batman and Commisioner Gordon): (vote on page 1)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9361349&fpart=1

"crack" is not an option in either poll lol

-J.

Interesting conversation in the GA section and a chance to vote for your favourite on the first page.

Thought I'd share in Comics General:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9359466&fpart=1

-J.

Take it to the THUNDERDOME :sumo: .......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wanted to bump this thread once so others in CG can register votes in a couple of interesting threads in the Gold section:

If given the choice and money being no object , would you choose comparable copies of:

Cap 1 (first Captain America, first Bucky, aka Winter Soldier, first Red Skull, Hitler cover) or Marvel 1 (first "human torch", first "Timely" comic, which later became "Marvel"): (vote on page 1)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9356972&fpart=1

And another poll, would you rather own an Action Comics 1 (first Superman and Lois Lane) or a Detective Comics 27 (first Batman and Commisioner Gordon): (vote on page 1)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9361349&fpart=1

-J.

Thanks for the links.

-J.

Hey guys. One last :bump: for these interesting threads over in the GA section.

If you haven't had a chance to log your votes please do so. (thumbs u

-J.

Most people will find it hard to choose using the 'money is no object' mindset because humans are soooooo subjective. Marvel #1 has always been my favorite book but when I finally owned my first and only Cap #1 the gravitational pull towards that Cap #1 was so strong I had to actually recheck which book was my fave.

Once I sold my Cap #, like a light switch it was clear again which book was my fave. It was a very enlightening self analysis.

Anybody else experience this?

For me it's always been Marvel #1 all the way and Action #1 over Tec #27.

And FF #1 over AF #15, no question. ;)

Even as a teenager in the 70s I preferred Captain America 1 over Marvel Comics 1, and Action 1 over Tec 27. Nothing's changed, or would even if I had the means to buy copies.

Most people will find it hard to choose using the 'money is no object' mindset because humans are soooooo subjective. Marvel #1 has always been my favorite book but when I finally owned my first and only Cap #1 the gravitational pull towards that Cap #1 was so strong I had to actually recheck which book was my fave.

Once I sold my Cap #, like a light switch it wae clear again which book was my fave. It was a very enlightening self analysis.

Anybody else experience this?

For me it's always been Marvel #1 all the way and Action #1 over Tec #27.

And FF #1 over AF #15, no question. ;)

+1 Cap 1 is a much easier book to come by as well.

Although I would take 3 or 4 other silver age books over FF 1.

Also Marvel Comics #1 is 1st comic appearance of Ka-Zar

Except , like the human torch, it isn't the version that anybody knows. Those guys showed up in FF 1 and X men 10.

It is the GA characters who remained relevant through the generations and that still largely resemble their GA iterations whose first appearances will dominate under current market conditions.

Unfortunately there are no actual or substantive first appearances in MC 1. Nor are there any in Tec 1. And you don't see people pulling out their hair trying to figure out why Tec 1 doesn't sell for more than Action 1 or Tec 27.

-J.

Except , like the human torch, it isn't the version that anybody knows. Those guys showed up in FF 1 and X men 10.

It is the GA characters who remained relevant through the generations and that still largely resemble their GA iterations whose first appearances will dominate under current market conditions.

Unfortunately there are no actual or substantive first appearances in MC 1. Nor are there any in Tec 1. And you don't see people pulling out their hair trying to figure out why Tec 1 doesn't sell for more than Action 1 or Tec 27.

-J.

Current market conditions are not built solely by readers or collectors but rather speculation.

Personally, I'd rather have a hobby of readers and collectors but also understand the need for new bloodband new money in the hobby to keep it going.

Detective #1 is different than Marvel in the sense that Marvel #1 introduced comic book heroes that have been used for nearly 80 years.

And nobody is pulling their hair out. It's just not the hobby old time collectors spent their lives in.

-J.

Current market conditions are not built solely by readers or collectors but rather speculation.

Personally, I'd rather have a hobby of readers and collectors but also understand the need for new bloodband new money in the hobby to keep it going.

Detective #1 is different than Marvel in the sense that Marvel #1 introduced comic book heroes that have been used for nearly 80 years.

And nobody is pulling their hair out. It's just not the hobby old time collectors spent their lives in.

Which characters are those again ? (shrug)

-J.

Cap 1 is the most patriotic cover ever.

Marvel 1 has a weird version of the Human Torch on the cover.

That's the best part of the cover. That pulp like quality screams GA!