• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing comics in the basement

33 posts in this topic

Edgar Church kept all of his comics in his basement for 30-40 years, it didn't seem to hurt them any. ;)

detective-comics-109-church_zpsccp7emty.jpg

Isn't Tec 109 Mortimer art and Cameron story?

Looks like you have a CGC old label error variant... Still an EPIC copy!

As someone probably pointed out, the dehumidifier probably deals with most of your issues, but basements are where floods happen, and stinky sewage floods at that. I wouldn't have paper collectibles down there.

Take the time to think about whether there are any pipes immediately above your comic shelves. In case a kitchen or bathroom water pipe bursts, it would be preferable if your comics in the basement were not beneath such pipes.

Hey all,

I need some help with my comics. I have hundreds of comics stored in the basement of my home. Of those, about 100 or so are CGC slabbed. I have a dehumidifier down there and the humidity is around 33% - 40% during the summer time. During the rest of year, it's in the low 20%. However, during June - August the temp. hovers between 75% - 82%. During the rest of the year, it's in the 60's through low 70's.

Is this an issue?

Thank you.

This sounds like a good environment for your comics. What exactly are you concerned about ?

It does sound good

Not so sure from my point of view? (shrug)

I would definitely have some concerns in the summer months if your basement is constantly between 75 degrees to 82 degrees down there. hm

The temp gauge is on the safe. The safe is near a water pipe. I can move the comics to another room on the top floor, but no safe there. I worry about fire or and theft. No, not in a bad area, but comic collection is worth a pretty penny.

The temp gauge is on the safe. The safe is near a water pipe. I can move the comics to another room on the top floor, but no safe there. I worry about fire or and theft. No, not in a bad area, but comic collection is worth a pretty penny.

Safes have they're own unique set of problems,are your books staples rusted yet?

Make sure everything is stored quite a bit above ground level.

Can't tell you how many people get a few inches of water and lose good stuff.

Patrick

Agreed, keep your Pitt #1s on the bottom.

Those are the ones slabbed

As someone probably pointed out, the dehumidifier probably deals with most of your issues, but basements are where floods happen, and stinky sewage floods at that. I wouldn't have paper collectibles down there.

This .... Even if you keep them off the ground who wants to walk around grabbing their books in 3 feet of sewage water ... Happens all the time ... Last place i would keep books ... And any room with a bathroom above it ...