• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

But those number 50 issues have Mysta of the Moon by Matt Baker. Also some Evans and Kamen as well I believe. Gotta look inside!

I totally agree. I highly recommend that people read them. I know some people don't read comic books, which I do not understand at all, but some of the stuff in there is ground  breaking on the sci-fi front for the time. You can even see influences which shaped some of the modern classic films we have how. There's actually some Star Wars references for example which George Lucas obviously stored away and used many years later.

Comic books are for reading  :sumo:

Enjoy them!! rantrant  

19 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I wonder if the preference of cover also is influenced by the book you own?

For example: I used to think issue 48 is just an average cover, BUT I absolutely love my copy and it ranks very high within my own Planet collection.

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps57bb

Planet%20Comics%2048%20inner%20cover_zps

Anyone else feel the same?

That book ticks a number of boxes.

1. Amazing condition

2. Great colour density.

3. Robot cover.

4. Double Cover

5. Quirky 'out-of-register' copy.

What's not to like?

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

For example: I used to think issue 48 is just an average cover, BUT I absolutely love my copy and it ranks very high within my own Planet collection.

^^ If I owned that copy I would definitely feel the same. 

5 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Oh boy, 48 is pretty great too. And I also love 36, which is drawn with similar perspective.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:23 PM, Robot Man said:

But those number 50 issues have Mysta of the Moon by Matt Baker. Also some Evans and Kamen as well I believe. Gotta look inside!

Ditto. The art in between the covers rivals the covers. Shame that humans ever invented plastic.

41 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

1/3 of a pretty great mail call today.  

C6A171C9-7DFC-452B-98DB-6F4224DCBAE3.jpeg

Rick, I’m so glad the 17 went to a boardie. Congrats on one of the best books ever.  It could not have gone to someone who would appreciate it more. (worship)(worship)(worship)

55 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

To my Planet Comics-loving friends,

I started collecting Planet Comics in June of last year. I quickly became addicted and decided to try to collect the entire run and to do so as quickly as possible.  I now have 68 of the 73 issues.  However, in the interest of speed (and my wallet) I picked up whatever was available (and cheap) to fill holes.  Now, for some issues, I have no problem with a really beat copy.  Heck, pretty much all the rivets are tough to find, period, and I will take what I can find.  For other issues though, I probably could have been a bit more patient and selective.  I’ve also never had so much fun collecting comics as I have had chasing the Planets.  I don’t want it to be over yet.  So, if you see me selling off about half of the run, just know that it’s soemthing I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about and it’s what I want to do.  I want to drag this thing out.  I want to put more effort into the mid-run books then I did this time around, prior to crossing the finish line some day.  I want to find all the rivets first and maybe upgrade one or two.  My goal is still to complete the run, I’m just changing the way in which I will do it. Or maybe I’m just nuts. Who knows?

I've adopted a similar approach. Twenty years on, I only have about a third of the run, but they are the issues I like most [with two or three of those still to get], and all keepers. Upgrading is a labor of love, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Spyder! said:

To my Planet Comics-loving friends,

I started collecting Planet Comics in June of last year. I quickly became addicted and decided to try to collect the entire run and to do so as quickly as possible.  I now have 68 of the 73 issues.  However, in the interest of speed (and my wallet) I picked up whatever was available (and cheap) to fill holes.  Now, for some issues, I have no problem with a really beat copy.  Heck, pretty much all the rivets are tough to find, period, and I will take what I can find.  For other issues though, I probably could have been a bit more patient and selective.  I’ve also never had so much fun collecting comics as I have had chasing the Planets.  I don’t want it to be over yet.  So, if you see me selling off about half of the run, just know that it’s soemthing I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about and it’s what I want to do.  I want to drag this thing out.  I want to put more effort into the mid-run books then I did this time around, prior to crossing the finish line some day.  I want to find all the rivets first and maybe upgrade one or two.  My goal is still to complete the run, I’m just changing the way in which I will do it. Or maybe I’m just nuts. Who knows?

Hrmmm...

I recommend keeping what you have accumulated, and start upgrading books as you go, selling under copies once you have upgraded.