• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, kelholt said:

Planet 38 was the last lot to close in the CC auction. There were 20-30 more Planet lots that started after 38 and ended before 38. Very spirited bidding on this one in CC.  I think 38 went higher in CC because 2 or 3 people kept bidding and thought something like “I keep losing other books , I am going to get at least one Church  Planet.” This mentality could have pushed it up several more bids. Also, I think it was somewhat “hidden” in the Link auction. These two factors could have played a role in the lower hammer price. 🔨 💵 

$6,043 in CC

$5,000 in Link

6 hours ago, goldenacase said:

Also that its not the highest graded must have some effect on the hammer price ? 

Interesting analyses. During that auction I decided only to go after the issues that were highest graded (and not likely to be toppled by some interloper!). Though I must admit I broke that rule for the Planet 5, with a high bid up till near the end.

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

A question for the Planet collecting community.  To press and resubmit or not?  

I’ve never pressed a book before. I have heard rumors for years that grading was stricter in the early days of CGC, don’t know if that’s true. My Planet 7 is an old label 6.5. It has a pressable crease by the “P” in Planet. It also has a small crease bottom right corner and a dust shadow along the bottom edge.  I have wondered if it could grade higher with a press. 

Also, even if I don’t press I want to get it reholdered.  The older holders are just not as clear and I like to see the brighter colors which are visible in newer holders. So really the question is, should I press and resubmit or just get it reholdered? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

12DABF88-6925-44BF-863E-81F67C424816.jpeg

56 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I am not much of a presser, but that book should improve in grade if pressed.

CGC is once again having Newton Ring problems so keep that in mind if you resubmit.

I would generally say, why bother, unless you’re going to sell soon. But, your point about pressing — since you’re going to re-holder — is a good one. I’d agree with Steve, then, on the press, bearing in mind that sometimes, perhaps rarely but not too rarely, pressing a GA book can go bad.

17 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I am not much of a presser, but that book should improve in grade if pressed.

CGC is once again having Newton Ring problems so keep that in mind if you resubmit.

16 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I would generally say, why bother, unless you’re going to sell soon. But, your point about pressing — since you’re going to re-holder — is a good one. I’d agree with Steve, then, on the press, bearing in mind that sometimes, perhaps rarely but not too rarely, pressing a GA book can go bad.

Thanks for the feedback. I do fear the possibility, even if it’s small, that something goes wrong and the book decreases in grade. I probably will end up pressing it. Should I go through CCS or use someone else?

Also, that’s too bad about the Newton Rings arising again. I have some books at CGC now! :cry:

27 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Thanks for the feedback. I do fear the possibility, even if it’s small, that something goes wrong and the book decreases in grade. I probably will end up pressing it. Should I go through CCS or use someone else?

Also, that’s too bad about the Newton Rings arising again. I have some books at CGC now! :cry:

Jared, would love to hear how this goes.  I like your strategy. I think you win either way.  Can’t imagine it doesn't at least bump you by .5 with a new clear holder to boot.  

I have 1 rivet and a couple of non Planets that I’d like to get pressed....so keep us updated man!

On 6/7/2019 at 8:15 PM, Spyder! said:

Just got these back from CGC today. I’m extremely happy with the results, especially on the 10 (and I knew the 3 was restored before I submitted it). 

9A431CDF-3CA7-4978-BB4A-CD6C5CC9D376.jpeg

It perhaps goes without saying that this my favorite of your three recent slabs. :luhv: