• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I like comparing Planets, and Fiction House books to see how different they can be. I was looking at the Jon Berk Planets and the 18 is the weird purple version like yours Flex:

pla1_1428a.jpg

Yep - it's a darker scan, but the reds are definitely red where mine are orange.

For those that are intersted, here is my Planet inventory as it relates to the books I just finished posting. Feel free to contact me if you have any of the missing issues I'm looking for (especially those high-grade restored copies from the bound volume, 1, 6, 7, 8, & 11) I would be happy to do a trade + cash deal in exchange for my unrestored copies...

***UPDATED 5/9/17***

#1  3.0 GD/VG

#2  8.5 (Restored CGCS)

#3  7.0 (Restored CGC)

#4  8.0 (Restored CGC)

#5  7.0 (Restored CGC)

#6  2.0 (CGC)

#7  5.5 (CGC)

#8  6.0 FN

#9  9.0 (Restored CGCS)

10  8.5 (Restored CGC)

11 3.5 (CGC)

12 9.0 (Restored CGCS)

13 5.0 (CGC)

16 5.5 (CGC)

18 5.0 (CGC)

19 5.0 VG/FN

21 2.5 (Restored CGC)

22 8.0 VF

23 7.0 (CGC)  

24 7.5 VF-

25 4.5 (CGC)

27 6.5 FN/VF

28 7.5 (CGC)

29 7.5 (CGC)

30 8.0 (CGC) Rockford

32 8.0 VF

33 4.5 VG+

34 4.0 (CGC)

35 5.5 FN-

36 5.5 FN-

37 8.0 VF

38 5.5 FN-

39 7.0 FN/V

40 6.5 FN+

41 5.0 VG/FN

42 7.0 (CGC)

43 6.0 FN

45 6.5 FN+

46 7.5 (CGC)

47 7.0 VF-

48 8.0 VF

50 3.5 VG-

51 7.0 FN/VF

54 4.5 VG+

55 5.0 VG/FN

56 7.0 FN/V

57 6.0 FN

58 4.5 VG+

59 6.5 FN

60 5.5 FN-

61 5.0 VG/F

62 7.0 (CGC)

63 7.0 (CGC)

64 4.5 VG+

65 4.5 VG+

66 4.0 (CGC)

67 8.0 VF

68 7.0 (CGC)

69 5.5 FN-

70 7.0 FN/V

71 4.5 VG+

72 6.0 (CGC)

73 4.0 VG

-------------------------

63 TOTAL

Missing 10: 14, 15, 17, 20, 26, 31, 44, 49, 52, 53

(also looking for high-grade restored copies from a specific bound volume, 1, 6, 7, 8, & 11)

1 hour ago, Soft-Serve said:

Yeah, I tried just getting my favorites too, in the beginning. Problem is, they all ended up being my favorites. Sorry about your wallet. (notsorry)

Yeah, I woke up to that that Berk #18 this morning and chortled my coffee. Red and purple!??!?! It has me reconsidering everything dang it. Alas, I must draw the line somewhere though. I promised myself that I would get them all first, then upgrade later, but the stupid awesome auctions keep popping up. Anyway, there should be plenty of undercopies to go around this summer. Start saving your pennies folks!

If I can give you some advice: rather than complete your run with books you know you will upgrade I recommend holding out for copies you want to keep. My reason? It becomes harder to buy copies of books you already own. I did what you are doing, now I have about a dozen books I want to upgrade from my run but I am resistant to the prices of very high upgrades. A perfect example is Planet #14. I own a copy, I grade it at a 2.5 maybe a 3.0 but do I want to pay $3000 to get a 4.5? No. The Jon Berk CGC 6.0 14 interests me, but as I already own a copy that presents well will I be willing to bite the bullet and pay the likely very high price it will take to get the book? Probably not.

For those who like to read, the eleventh issue of PLANET is available to read in the GRR, cover to cover. Sadly the only copy available seems to be this microfiche one, nevertheless it is all there and readable.  

00.jpg

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

If I can give you some advice: rather than complete your run with books you know you will upgrade I recommend holding out for copies you want to keep. My reason? It becomes harder to buy copies of books you already own. 

That's pretty good advice, and pretty much what I'm doing now for books I don't already have. Most of the lower-grade filler books I posted (except #65 & #71 which are, inexplicably, hard books to find in any condition) are the result of either enthusiastic early acquisitions, to-good-to-pass-up deals, or a now-obsolete lower grade threshhold. At one point I would have been happy to have a full run in VG. Now I want it in FN+. (next year it'll be VF, ha, ha) This is why I haven't bought #31, #44, #49, #52, or #53 though they be plentiful. I want to just buy the one I want. 

On the other hand...I must admit having enjoyed picking up decent low-grade copies over the years (with the intention of upgrading) by thinking of them as a down payment for that later book. It's rare that I've got enough money in the kitty to buy a keeper outright.  It's worked well in that, in almost all cases I've recouped my original investment when selling my undercopy for an upgrade. In a few cases, the market has gotten so good that I've improved my original investment and closed the gap a bit more . Anyone who's collected Fiction House for 10+ years can tell you just how much these books have appreciated (and continue to). For me, it's easier to buy a VF (when it finally shows up) if I have a VG ready to sell. That being said, the Burke auction will not be the place for me to upgrade and stay in budget. I feel sorry for the folks who had incomplete runs of Planet back in the 90's who can't complete it now because they remember paying $100 for a VF Planet. I only started about 5 years ago when prices where up there, but I'm starting to feel the squeeze for sure on these last 10. 

14 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

That's pretty good advice, and pretty much what I'm doing now for books I don't already have. Most of the lower-grade filler books I posted (except #65 & #71 which are, inexplicably, hard books to find in any condition) are the result of either enthusiastic early acquisitions, to-good-to-pass-up deals, or a now-obsolete lower grade threshhold. At one point I would have been happy to have a full run in VG. Now I want it in FN+. (next year it'll be VF, ha, ha) This is why I haven't bought #31, #44, #49, #52, or #53 though they be plentiful. I want to just buy the one I want. 

On the other hand...I must admit having enjoyed picking up decent low-grade copies over the years (with the intention of upgrading) by thinking of them as a down payment for that later book. It's rare that I've got enough money in the kitty to buy a keeper outright.  It's worked well in that, in almost all cases I've recouped my original investment when selling my undercopy for an upgrade. In a few cases, the market has gotten so good that I've improved my original investment and closed the gap a bit more . Anyone who's collected Fiction House for 10+ years can tell you just how much these books have appreciated (and continue to). For me, it's easier to buy a VF (when it finally shows up) if I have a VG ready to sell. That being said, the Burke auction will not be the place for me to upgrade and stay in budget. I feel sorry for the folks who had incomplete runs of Planet back in the 90's who can't complete it now because they remember paying $100 for a VF Planet. I only started about 5 years ago when prices where up there, but I'm starting to feel the squeeze for sure on these last 10. 

FN was my threshold, but I deviated from that once I learned that many of the books in the Planet run are near impossible to find in that grade ( example # 15 ).

14 is another that I found near impossible to locate in FN or better. To this day I have only seen one copy in 6.0 or better ( currently in the Berk auction )

Once I acquired my copies of those books, it seemed to me unlikely I would ever upgrade them so I just finished my run. I have upgraded several of them over the last few years.

My favorite upgrade is my 17. From this:

MDS00073_zps9c78126c.jpg

to this:

Planet17_zps7e68f8c9.jpg

#11 was a good one to:

PlanetComics11cgc55R_zpsfb1c9ebb.jpg

Planet%20Comics%2011%20cgc%206.0_zpsu2qj

The CGC 6.0 11 is very bright yellow, great colors.

Edited by Artboy99

5 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

That's one beautiful think about collecting, you get to make up the rules. You can change them at any time. Collect what you like when you like it and all should be good.

17 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

FN was my threshold, but I deviated from that once I learned that many of the books in the Planet run are near impossible to find in that grade ( example # 15 ).

14 is another that I found near impossible to locate in FN or better. To this day I have only seen one copy in 6.0 or better ( currently in the Berk auction )

Once I acquired my copies of those books, it seemed to me unlikely I would ever upgrade them so I just finished my run. I have upgraded several of them over the last few years.

My favorite upgrade is my 17. From this:

MDS00073_zps9c78126c.jpg

to this:

Planet17_zps7e68f8c9.jpg

Wow, that #17 is a stunner! Your undercopy looks familiar, maybe one I passed up a while back (stupidly). It's one of those books you don't pass up at any grade. I don't know about you, but I tend to feel more fondly of my upgrades as opposed to my outright high-grade purchases. I seems like it was more of a process, and I really like the before/after to. When my CC books come in, I'll post my own dramatic before/after's.

2 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

Wow, that #17 is a stunner! Your undercopy looks familiar, maybe one I passed up a while back (stupidly). It's one of those books you don't pass up at any grade. I don't know about you, but I tend to feel more fondly of my upgrades as opposed to my outright high-grade purchases. I seems like it was more of a process, and I really like the before/after to. When my CC books come in, I'll post my own dramatic before/after's.

I had his undercopy for a while. 

Yes, you passed it up @Soft-Serve

On 5/9/2017 at 11:54 AM, Soft-Serve said:

Well, let's wrap up my collection so we can start talking about the Berk books. Here's my #67. Pretty happy with it, so glossy it's dripping, I think I'll keep it!

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

Tons of great books here. I'll just single out this #67, as man, the reds are insanely nice! It really gives the figures and logo a lot of 'pop' vs the more typical orange background. Never seen a copy quite like it.