• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theft Alert: Chicago area Dealer Comics4less

91 posts in this topic

Here are scans of 3 of the comics.

Detective #168 CGC 6.0 OW/W pages

CGC Cert # 1210801005

Det%20168_zpspp8t6hnm.jpg

Detective #140 CGC 1.5

Grader Notes 1.5 OFF-WHITE Piece missing from page 23, affects story. (Tape on interior cover & interior.)

Cert # 0288764002

2016-05-25-0002_zpsjfpazybl.jpg

AF 15 CGC 1.0

AF%2015_zpsybqtz6nq.jpg

This is why I buy low grade. That AF15 is going to be real easy to spot if it gets cracked.

I would have to completely disagree with MetalCSI in his thinking that a plasma cutting torch could, not just poke a hole, but cut a 'door' into a metal box, without the interior getting to hot! Also, to characterize stainless steel as brittle, is not even accurate! First, there are many grades of stainless. But to generalize, they all are inclined to 'work harden', when cutting. That's why a higher feed rate is needed (depth of cut), with a positive rake on preferably carbide tooling. When being 'machined', the chip will curl off like a pig tail. Now, if it was (cast) iron, you'll never get a stringer like that, because, wait for it....it's brittle. Take a stainless steel nut, whatever size you want. Stand it on end, and hit it with a sledge hammer. It will collapse. Not shatter. Back to point. The flashpoint of paper is 451 F.

A hole, drilled in the top of the 'box', was then used to flood the chamber, so the contents would not burn, or be completely shredded, when cut, or blown. One technique used, more so in Europe, than here in the states, involved then tapping the hole, so as to actually accept a spark plug. Since gasoline will float on water, they add that last. Thread in the spark plug, and get some long spoon plug wires. You can figure out the rest

I don't know what size, quality of safe we are talking here. But, unless it was of 'walk in' dimensions (to dissipate the heat), a plasma torch, arc welder will fry the contents. Die grinders will 'cut' through about anything, but there'll be lots of heat, noise, sparks.....

I would speculate that, if all else failed, to drop the thing from substantial height, might bust the door hinge pins.

I doubt that they had anyone with the skill to 'dial' them open. And in all likelihood, the contents will suffer, in their efforts.

Plasma torches, lol

You guys are watching to many movies

If they could take the whole safe, and they needed two of them to fit all their stuff in, then I'm guessing something small and cheap.(or a gun safe)

Not that hard to get into

Watch the fifty thousand tapes of people opening them on Youtube.

We are not talking about a bank vault here.

Considering what was taken and how they took it, this has a high probability that Pete's warehouse was robbed possibly by people he knows.

Thieves just don't randomly break into a warehouse with tools in high hopes they find safes. Sounds like this was pre-planned well in advance.

Considering what was taken and how they took it, this has a high probability that Pete's warehouse was robbed possibly by people he knows.

Thieves just don't randomly break into a warehouse with tools in high hopes they find safes. Sounds like this was pre-planned well in advance.

Agreed.

I would have to completely disagree with MetalCSI in his thinking that a plasma cutting torch could, not just poke a hole, but cut a 'door' into a metal box, without the interior getting to hot! Also, to characterize stainless steel as brittle, is not even accurate! First, there are many grades of stainless. But to generalize, they all are inclined to 'work harden', when cutting. That's why a higher feed rate is needed (depth of cut), with a positive rake on preferably carbide tooling. When being 'machined', the chip will curl off like a pig tail. Now, if it was (cast) iron, you'll never get a stringer like that, because, wait for it....it's brittle. Take a stainless steel nut, whatever size you want. Stand it on end, and hit it with a sledge hammer. It will collapse. Not shatter. Back to point. The flashpoint of paper is 451 F.

A hole, drilled in the top of the 'box', was then used to flood the chamber, so the contents would not burn, or be completely shredded, when cut, or blown. One technique used, more so in Europe, than here in the states, involved then tapping the hole, so as to actually accept a spark plug. Since gasoline will float on water, they add that last. Thread in the spark plug, and get some long spoon plug wires. You can figure out the rest

I don't know what size, quality of safe we are talking here. But, unless it was of 'walk in' dimensions (to dissipate the heat), a plasma torch, arc welder will fry the contents. Die grinders will 'cut' through about anything, but there'll be lots of heat, noise, sparks.....

I would speculate that, if all else failed, to drop the thing from substantial height, might bust the door hinge pins.

I doubt that they had anyone with the skill to 'dial' them open. And in all likelihood, the contents will suffer, in their efforts.

It's MetalPSI. And I didn't discount plasma cutters, I stated using a oxy torch is more practical.

Also, talk to your muffler shop and ask them to put stainless steel pipes on your car.

I was thinking the same.

**** New updated with more info ******

The comics were stolen out of his warehouse. They were mostly in two safes and the thief stole the actual safes. Here are most of the contents:

Action Comics # 242 CGC 3.5 0285204001

Action Comics # 242 CGC 5.0 0236581001

Action Comics # 242 CGC 5.5

Batman 121 CGC 7.0

Batman 181 CGC 8.5

Detective Comics 59 CGC 8.0

Detective Comics 66 CGC 5.5

Detective Comics 140 CGC 1.5 Cert # 0288764002

Detective Comics 168 CGC 6.0 Cert # 1210801005

Detective Comics 233 CGC 4.0

House of Secrets 61 CGC 8.0

Incredible Hulk 181 9.2 CGC Restored

My Greatest Adventure 80 CGC 9.0

Mystic 59 CGC 9.0

Showcase 34 CGC 8.5

Showcase 37 CGC 9.0

Special Marvel Edition # 15 CGC 9.8 0914706005

Strange Adventures 180 CGC 8.5

Strange Tales 97 CGC 7.5

Tales of Suspense 1 CGC 5.0 00147414003

Tales of Suspense 35 8.0 023252020

Tales to Astonish 1 CBCS 2.5

Tales to Astonish 1 4.5 1208506002

Tales to Astonish 26 8.5 CBCS

World’s Finest 3 CGC 6.5

World’s Finest 3 CGC 3.0

World’s Finest 3 CGC 3.0

X-men 49 CGC 9.6 Twin Cities 0914706005

Note the Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 1.0 in the original post was not in the safe and was located.

A Box of Raw Keys including ASM 121, 129, 238, 252s, 300, Batman 232, Captain America 117, Detective 359, 400, 411, Showcase 17 x2, X-Men 266 plus many others

24999137 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1962 Topps 17 Mike Ditka

25430021 NEAR MINT 7 1986 Fleer 57 Michael Jordan

23130170 EXCELLENT 5 1959 Topps 10 Mickey Mantle

Babe Ruth 1933 Card

Mickey Mantle 1969 Raw

Walter Payton Rookie Card

This is a crazy world. Every month I'm reading or hearing stories that expensive books are being stolen. What's going on? Makes me feel nervous getting ready for a con and get my books stolen as I blink my eyes or attempt to yawn! The thought of someone I know or someone studying my every move to time a theft has other issues per se!!!

This is a crazy world. Every month I'm reading or hearing stories that expensive books are being stolen. What's going on? Makes me feel nervous getting ready for a con and get my books stolen as I blink my eyes or attempt to yawn! The thought of someone I know or someone studying my every move to time a theft has other issues per se!!!
Welcome to the world as we know it. School is always in session.

Here is a flyer that you can save/copy and email out to anyone that might be a buyer of comics.

2016-08-16-0001_zpsb82ti94d.jpg

Kudos on creating a professional, smart, well-presented flyer that can be emailed, mailed, and handed out anywhere. I hope the thief or thieves are quickly caught and the comics fully recovered.

Terrible news!! I just bought a very rare book from him during that epic auction he just put on and his shipping was so fast and packaged so great I couldn't be more impressed. So sad to hear stuff like this. Criminals suck I really am fed up with these low life scumbags I know times are tough for people but why...just why do they have to try and take others under with them :(

It's MetalPSI. And I didn't discount plasma cutters, I stated using a oxy torch is more practical.

Also, talk to your muffler shop and ask them to put stainless steel pipes on your car.

30D2EF45-F3B9-40DF-B07A-D6351C423101_zpshrrabh3d.jpg

I've bought from comics4less many times, always a great experience. I hope he gets his stuff back. :wishluck: