• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
4 4

648 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

Thank you, i'm  pretty sure that would only be 40% off their website price but not the eBay price... unfortunately it's only worth it if its 40% off the eBay price ?

Yeah, usually what Ive found is that the eBay price is not as good as the website+coupon, but the coupon won't work on the eBay price (or at least I wouldn't think so).

What a shuckster :facepalm:

In other news, SECRET EMPIRE #0 released from Marvel today, and is getting positive initial reviews. A problem cropped up, however, in that quite a few of the copies distributed by Diamond have a huge printing flaw on one page. But depending on the percentage of the print run SECRET EMPIRE #0 that turned out to be defective, this could become a significant collectible in days to come. All of our copies were OK, but budgetary restraints restricted us to ordering only a few. Just saying...

unnamed.jpg

Dear God - that was a waste of 10 minutes.  This thread had me curious so I checked out the Mile High website and his prices are simply insane.  Looked to see if he had a Peter Parker 64 and of course it's gone but the issues around it are 10x the going price.  Then went to see if he had any FF 45-50 and he must have been smoking something funny when he dreamt up those prices.  I'd need him to offer a 80% discount before I could find something worthwhile.

On 4/16/2017 at 3:06 PM, Readcomix said:

Yes, I did miss that you were in The UK. It all makes sense to me.

I just cannot overcome my pre-web (1980s) experience with MH. Traded in some books, books I wanted were out of stock, received trade credit that expires in 6 months (WTF???), attempt to use, nothing in stock, clock still ticking....boom!

I still have the memos. Maybe I should just call and ask to use them. They are clearly unused.

I can't shake the notion that he's been paying forward bad karma ever since feeling like he did not maximize the Edgar Church find, in the form of a desperate game of catch-up ball in his own head. Comes out feeling like scam artistry.

+1

Similar to his ridiculous asking prices on his few, remaining Edgar Church books like Red Raven #1, until he got a reality check when they went to auction.

On 20/04/2017 at 5:58 PM, 1Cool said:

Dear God - that was a waste of 10 minutes.  This thread had me curious so I checked out the Mile High website and his prices are simply insane.  Looked to see if he had a Peter Parker 64 and of course it's gone but the issues around it are 10x the going price.  Then went to see if he had any FF 45-50 and he must have been smoking something funny when he dreamt up those prices.  I'd need him to offer a 80% discount before I could find something worthwhile.

I think you're being just a little harsh here @1Cool, they can be reasonable for some comic titles. There's currently a 40% codeword sale on so I might see if I can snag ROM Space Knight #36.

What is 60% of 40 million dollars by the way? 

I think that someone posted at one time that they do that intentionally, supposedly so that their listings will pop up if you search for either comics or comic book, hence their use of comics book.  Personally, I wish there was a word you could type in to eliminate their listings from my search.

29 minutes ago, Batman1fan said:

I think that someone posted at one time that they do that intentionally, supposedly so that their listings will pop up if you search for either comics or comic book, hence their use of comics book.  Personally, I wish there was a word you could type in to eliminate their listings from my search.

Yup, like adding "-mile high" to your search would leave out their stuff. I'd love that. Took me a week or two to get off their mailing list. E-mails every freaking day. Ugh.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:18 PM, ygogolak said:

What a shuckster :facepalm:

In other news, SECRET EMPIRE #0 released from Marvel today, and is getting positive initial reviews. A problem cropped up, however, in that quite a few of the copies distributed by Diamond have a huge printing flaw on one page. But depending on the percentage of the print run SECRET EMPIRE #0 that turned out to be defective, this could become a significant collectible in days to come. All of our copies were OK, but budgetary restraints restricted us to ordering only a few. Just saying...

unnamed.jpg

budgetary restraints on probably the biggest Marvel book for the month?

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

Yup, like adding "-mile high" to your search would leave out their stuff. I'd love that. Took me a week or two to get off their mailing list. E-mails every freaking day. Ugh.

I still get his emails, because once in a while they are an interesting read.  What I find hilarious, though, is that Chuck, whom I have nothing against, runs a code word sale on a regular basis with the premise that an unexpected bill has come up, and if he can't raise cash quickly, Mile High will be on the verge of going under.  There is a YouTube channel called Comic Trips, which I highly recommend by the way, that visited Mile High last year and we're given a tour by Chuck.  Chuck not only showed them his Pueblo pottery collection, which he claimed was worth five million dollars, but told them, on camera, that he doesn't sell comics to get rich, because he already is rich.  Good for Chuck, I'm sure he's worked hard for what he has, but I find it absolutely hilarious that he claims financial problems on one hand, such as he latest tax bill, when he is a millionaire, most likely a multi millionaire.

His methods with the use of codes etc is no different than furniture stores using "Going out of business" sales all the time. After a while- people pick up on the gimmick. But you do at least make sure not to buy when they are not running a "sale".  Or in Chuck's case-- avoid it completely short of finding something he hasn't over priced yet that you need to fill a run (anything I want is already on the over priced list). Oh well-- whatever works for him is fine. Buyer beware though- he isn't the only game in town.

When I first started this thread, I wondered how Chuck could be making any money.  Who was buying his books at these prices.  Then I received Chuck's latest email that said in part.......

While I was away from Denver (my trip was booked last week with a non-refundable ticket...) our awesome staff at Mile High Comics continued the cleanup from Monday's devastating hailstorm. Sadly, our initial damage estimates of $30,000 - $50,000 in comics and books are turning out to be too low. Will Moulton discovered yesterday that rainwater from one of the 42 skylights that were destroyed during the storm soaked a double-sided wooden shelving unit containing 20,000 premium back issues. We are still tallying our losses among those 20,000 comics, but the fact that a high percentage of the water-damaged comics on those shelves consisted of our Mile High Comics exclusive variants, our losses in product (alone) now exceed $100,000.00.

.....Now I am wondering how these books are being "valued". 

10 hours ago, Hudson said:

When I first started this thread, I wondered how Chuck could be making any money.  Who was buying his books at these prices.  Then I received Chuck's latest email that said in part.......

While I was away from Denver (my trip was booked last week with a non-refundable ticket...) our awesome staff at Mile High Comics continued the cleanup from Monday's devastating hailstorm. Sadly, our initial damage estimates of $30,000 - $50,000 in comics and books are turning out to be too low. Will Moulton discovered yesterday that rainwater from one of the 42 skylights that were destroyed during the storm soaked a double-sided wooden shelving unit containing 20,000 premium back issues. We are still tallying our losses among those 20,000 comics, but the fact that a high percentage of the water-damaged comics on those shelves consisted of our Mile High Comics exclusive variants, our losses in product (alone) now exceed $100,000.00.

.....Now I am wondering how these books are being "valued". 

It's now 70 skylights, he forgot about the 28 in his secret pottery room.