• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOTI Contest ends December 31, 11:59pm Eastern. Discover a book and win SOTI!

46 posts in this topic

Oh, and one I thought I had pointed out to you before, but I didn't see it on the list on your site:

Almanac of Crime (1948 issue) has a 16 page signature unique to the book, as well as the 4 rebound issues most Fox Giants have. This section has a reprint of the Cattle Kate story from Women Outlaws #1.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=12290

My copy also has a rebound Famous Crimes #3, but that's just dumb luck; unlike the Cattle Kate story which would be in every copy of the issue.

Thanks. I didn't realize that any of the Fox Giants had consistent contents. I thought they were all just remaindered books, and the contents would vary by issue. I've been lucky enough, through trial and error, to pick up a few Fox Giants with SOTI books in them. I thought it was all relatively random. Can you recommend any threads or other resources, where I could learn more about them?

Thanks, OtherEric for the great new discovery! It's too bad you missed out on the contest, but I'll come up with a small token of thanks for you.

And now, to give away a copy of Seduction of the Innocent. There are two people in the running.

Fifties got an entry for his discovery of Famous Crimes #1.

Carl Henderson got an entry for his discovery of Doll Man #38.

I struggled to find a transparent way to pick one of these people as the winner, to make it clear that the drawing is fair and random. Here's what I came up with.

Tonight (1/4/2017) there's a Powerball drawing.

- If the lowest number drawn in tonight's Powerball drawing is an odd number, then Fifties wins the copy of Seduction of the Innocent.

- If the lowest number in tonight's Powerball drawing is an even number, then Carl Henderson wins the copy of Seduction of the Innocent.

Good luck to the contestants!

I apologize for not being more timely with this. Life has been crazy (in a ridiculously really good way), with two winter vacations for me and three for my darling bride.

The lowest number in the Powerball drawing for 1/4 2017 was an even number (4). That means Carl Henderson just won a copy of Seduction of the Innocent! Contracts, Carl. I'll be in touch for your mailing address.

For Fifties and OtherEric, I have a consolation prize: a choice page from an original copy of SOTI. All I need is mailing addresses via PM, and I'll ship the off next weekend.

Congrats to the winner for the copy of SOTI.

Oh, and one I thought I had pointed out to you before, but I didn't see it on the list on your site:

Almanac of Crime (1948 issue) has a 16 page signature unique to the book, as well as the 4 rebound issues most Fox Giants have. This section has a reprint of the Cattle Kate story from Women Outlaws #1.

My copy also has a rebound Famous Crimes #3, but that's just dumb luck; unlike the Cattle Kate story which would be in every copy of the issue.

Thanks. I didn't realize that any of the Fox Giants had consistent contents. I thought they were all just remaindered books, and the contents would vary by issue. I've been lucky enough, through trial and error, to pick up a few Fox Giants with SOTI books in them. I thought it was all relatively random. Can you recommend any threads or other resources, where I could learn more about them?

AFA this reference;

Page 182: In one comic book with a story on "the man who shanghaied more than 1,000 men from the San Francisco docks," there is suddenly - unrelated to the story - an illustration showing large in the foreground only the lower part of a girl's legs, in net stockings and very high-heeled red shoes.

I had won a copy of March of Crime, 1948, NN awhile back, on eBay, but returned it due to not being in quite the condition it was described as. I am almost sure the last story in it was about Bill Nickel, the shanghaier, and indeed there was a panel toward the end displaying the image of a female leg, as described above.

I too had thought these were composed of random remaindered copies, but if not, and you have or can get that issue of March of Crime, the remaindered copy would have it's title in the upper margin, so the only question left would be what issue number.

As far as I know that issue of Almanac of Crime is unique with the 16 page signature; unlike the rest of the fox giants it actually has an inside front cover that goes to the story. I think some of the Fox Giants from earlier in the 40's (All Good, All Great, Everybody's Comics) are not actually rebound volumes, but even there I'm not positive.

I wish I could give you a good reference; I remember discussing it at the Comic Book Plus forums back when it was still goldenagecomics.co.uk. Otherwise, my only source showing that issue was oddball is actually seeing a copy; the odd page count (148 instead of 132) and inside front cover clearly flags it as unusual. (The included issues do seem to be random, but they may not actually be rebound returns like the others, as well: Unlike the other Fox Giants I own, the issues are not individually stapled- just the staples through the whole book.)

Congrats to the winner for the copy of SOTI.

AFA this reference;

Page 182: In one comic book with a story on "the man who shanghaied more than 1,000 men from the San Francisco docks," there is suddenly - unrelated to the story - an illustration showing large in the foreground only the lower part of a girl's legs, in net stockings and very high-heeled red shoes.

I had won a copy of March of Crime, 1948, NN awhile back, on eBay, but returned it due to not being in quite the condition it was described as. I am almost sure the last story in it was about Bill Nickel, the shanghaier, and indeed there was a panel toward the end displaying the image of a female leg, as described above.

I too had thought these were composed of random remaindered copies, but if not, and you have or can get that issue of March of Crime, the remaindered copy would have it's title in the upper margin, so the only question left would be what issue number.

Thanks for the tip. Bill Nickel was featured in Famous Crimes #8, but I just pulled out my copy and there's no quote about "the man who shanghaied..." and no panel with the leg. I'll have to add March of Crime 1948 to my list of books to locate for research.