• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nicolas Cage collection

59 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

I am curious to hear your opinion about books that are labeled by CGC as part of Nicolas Cage collection. I understand that this is no pedigree and that most of these books were auctioned by Heritage in 2002. But is there a general concensus about these? Does it generally add or maybe even subtract from the value? Or is it totally irrelevant? I personally think it would be cool to own one due to the back story, and I am close to sealing a deal for one, but I would love to hear what others with some experience think about this.

(thumbs u

While I do think an autograph by a person who worked on a book is cool, a comic book simply owned by a celebrity/actor has no cachet for me, wouldn’t matter who it was. If you are happy with the grade and price, it makes sense to go for it but paying extra doesn’t.

Marketing. "From the Collection of Nicolas Cage" - big freakin' deal.

Gotcha! That marketing trick worked with my wife - she got really excited when I showed her the comment on the label. I guess women appreciate more a piece of "Hollywood glamour" in our common people dull life, lol.

Many of the books are coveted because they`re nice books, not because they were owned by Cage.

Cage had good taste and wasn`t lured into settling for lots of crapola. But the fact that he owned them is pretty much irrelevant to most comic collectors.

While I do think an autograph by a person who worked on a book is cool, a comic book simply owned by a celebrity/actor has no cachet for me, wouldn’t matter who it was. If you are happy with the grade and price, it makes sense to go for it but paying extra doesn’t.

This. It's neat, but not worth a big premium. I had a pre-hero Cage book I didn't love. Make sure the scans are good.

Many of the books are coveted because they`re nice books, not because they were owned by Cage.

Cage had good taste and wasn`t lured into settling for lots of crapola. But the fact that he owned them is pretty much irrelevant to most comic collectors.

.... this holds true for me for the most part, but Cage is an Actor whose movies I've always liked(except Ghost Rider...), so it is neat to know it was once his book. What I would like to know is whether or not he ever resumed collecting. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like that it doesn't add (at least for the majority of the collectors) a value but its (for many collectors at least) an extra cool factor. Personally I like having a clue about the story behind a copy, especially when the name includes a famous person.

Its an interesting subject however. In sports cards, the legendary Honus Wagner card owned by Wayne Gretzky drew a huge premium among else just because of the fact that it was owned by the hockey legend (even though it was later discovered and admitted that the card was trimmed!).

It seems weird to celebrate something they don't want.

If the owner passed away I'd find it interesting.

I think in 2002 he was more or less compelled to sell his entire collection of comic books and cars due to huge debts, or something like that. I think he is back into collecting now though.

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like that it doesn't add (at least for the majority of the collectors) a value but its (for many collectors at least) an extra cool factor. Personally I like having a clue about the story behind a copy, especially when the name includes a famous person.

Its an interesting subject however. In sports cards, the legendary Honus Wagner card owned by Wayne Gretzky drew a huge premium among else just because of the fact that it was owned by the hockey legend (even though it was later discovered and admitted that the card was trimmed!).

even more interesting, it was trimmed from an uncut sheet of cards! Not just a trim job around the edges, literally trimmed OUT of the sheet of all other cards.

Not sure saying it's cool that a book is from the Cage collection, but that it doesn't add value, is consistent. Aren't we always paying more for cool books? I agree it's cool, which is why I would pay more for a Cage copy ... but I can't remember actually having done so! :D

Did the fact that Gretzky owned it really increase its price? I think it was the best known copy of the most famous baseball card in existence, and that's what has driven its price. Gretzky's ownership brought it some publicity, particularly when he sold it, but I doubt baseball card collectors pay more for it because he owned it just like I doubt comic collectors pay more for a comic because Nic Cage owned it.

even more interesting, it was trimmed from an uncut sheet of cards! Not just a trim job around the edges, literally trimmed OUT of the sheet of all other cards.

In my mind, this is actually less problematic than if it was a battered card that had its edges trimmed to make them nice and sharp and raise its grade. After all, don't all cards come from a sheet of cards? This one just happened to be cut out of its sheets decades later than its fellow cards! lol

One thing I've always wondered is what happened with the rest of the sheet? Why didn't they cut all of the cards out and sell them as individual cards? Or did they?

I don't know either what happened to the rest of the cards. Gues the rest had value, but nothing compared to the Wagner. But, yeah, they were probably carefully cut out too.

I see your point, it's def a different trimming than perfecting a regularly manufactured card. But it's akin to Danny Dupcak cutting out uncut comic covers and placing them around VG comics to sell them as Mint copies.

Trimming by hand is restoration no matter if it's after the printing presses or for the first time. No?