• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic book is Aquaman's 1st silver age appearance?

97 posts in this topic

The Aquaman in Adv 259 is the same one as the one in Adv 260. There is no first appearance (imho) of Aquaman in the silver age, just some more significant issues/appearances than others. Same with Superboy, Superman, etc.

Aquaman physically looks the same between Adv 259 and Adv 260, but much the way WW 98 modified and updated Wonder Woman's origin in 1958 causing WW 98 to be accepted by collector's as the first SA WW -- despite WW looking like the same character from WW 97 -- Adv 260 modifies and updates (not completely revamps) Aquaman's origin in 1959 causing Adv 260 to have the distinction of being Aquaman's 1st SA appearance.

Isn't Brave and the Bold #28 his first cover appearance, period? (Not just first SA cover appearance?)

I think you're right.

I know it's his first SA cover. If first cover ever then it's even more significant.

+1

I just double checked, and yes, B & B 28 is indeed his cover appearance ever .

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-12/amp/?client=ms-android-sprint-us

Knowing that easily puts it way over the top IMO.

-J.

The Aquaman in Adv 259 is the same one as the one in Adv 260. There is no first appearance (imho) of Aquaman in the silver age, just some more significant issues/appearances than others. Same with Superboy, Superman, etc.

Aquaman physically looks the same between Adv 259 and Adv 260, but much the way WW 98 modified and updated Wonder Woman's origin in 1958 causing WW 98 to be accepted by collector's as the first SA WW -- despite WW looking like the same character from WW 97 -- Adv 260 modifies and updates (not completely revamps) Aquaman's origin in 1959 causing Adv 260 to have the distinction of being Aquaman's 1st SA appearance.

Adv 260 is only his first SA appearance if you want it to be. Adventure comics 259 isn't just the same Aquaman, it's the same artist, the same writers and the same style of storytelling. DC frequently did origin stories in all of the superhero books.

Superman 106 is not the first silver age Superman just because it's an origin story. Aquaman in Adventure Comics 261 is the same type of story with the same art and the same writers etc. as are 259 and 260 and 258 blah blah blah.

We collectors like to have definitive firsts, therefore adventure comics 260 has become his first silverage appearance. I can buy into that is the first origin of Aquaman in the silverage, but that's it.

Thx Jaydogrules!

I had read that a while ago, but it's one of those amazing things that just can't seem to be true for a character that goes back to 1941. Yet it is. No cover love til 1960....as amazing as the fact that he and Green Arrow round out the 5 heroes published continuously from the golden age til the silver age (granted Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman did it in their own titles, which is more impressive, but since no other golden age characters did it at all, it's still pretty impressive.)

You cant seriously compare BB28 and showcase 30 covers .. BB28 he is another character on the cover and on Showcase 30 he is the main character and he has his own title

eiKyhTGh.jpg

7F59PzVh.jpg

I wasn't comparing them at all; just stating that his first cover appearance at all was B&B 28. I just thinking its an interesting fact about a character that has been around since 1941 -- 19 years without a cover appearance just surprised me when I learned it.

Isn't Brave and the Bold #28 his first cover appearance, period? (Not just first SA cover appearance?)

I think you're right.

I know it's his first SA cover. If first cover ever then it's even more significant.

+1

I just double checked, and yes, B & B 28 is indeed his cover appearance ever .

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-12/amp/?client=ms-android-sprint-us

Knowing that easily puts it way over the top IMO.

-J.

Wait, so first cover appearance is huge but first solo book doesn't matter? No, no, that's not how this works. You place far too much importance on covers.

Adv 260 is only his first SA appearance if you want it to be. Adventure comics 259 isn't just the same Aquaman, it's the same artist, the same writers and the same style of storytelling. DC frequently did origin stories in all of the superhero books.

Superman 106 is not the first silver age Superman just because it's an origin story. Aquaman in Adventure Comics 261 is the same type of story with the same art and the same writers etc. as are 259 and 260 and 258 blah blah blah.

Same artist, writer and story style is largely irrelevant. Compare the origins of the character from More Fun 73 and Adv 260 and you get two materially different takes on the character. Superman's core origin, by contrast, did not change during the SA. Sure, some details to his core origin over the span of several years collectively filled in gaps in his origin, but the character is still born from the same parents from the same planet and raised by the same foster parents.

Are we really having this (long) discussion all over again ... ?

Not only are we having this long discussion all over again, but the last long discussion thread on the same debate has been resurrected for your entertainment -- giving you two long threads to choose from!

So the verdict is Showcase #30 is the key book to have?

Yes Showcase 30 is the one to get first without a doubt because its the book that helps the character to engage the readers and prepares Aquaman to his owns series . On the other hand even if BB 28 predates and he appears on the cover , on showcase 30 he is the main center on the cover.

Market cant be wrong ,people are demanding more copies and paying more for this issue than Adventure Comics 260.

So the verdict is Showcase #30 is the key book to have?

No, because B & B 28 predates it by a year, it's his first cover appearance (ever), and his inclusion and multiple appearances with the JLA (also, first appearance in B &B 28), prior to it raised his profile to the point that likely made the "tryout" in Showcase 30 even feasible or possible in the first place. (thumbs u

-J.