• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel October 1999 ~ February 2000 US Newsstand Price Variants
8 8

381 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have multiple copies of the various X-Men books and this lone Cable #72 ($2.29).  I did some monotonous checking today of each indicia to help contribute to the thread.  Of all the books I have, my suspicions were confirmed.  Every indicia states $1.99 US and $2.99 Canada.

One thing I forgot to mention last time was that I purchased an X-Men #95 price variant which came in the same lot as an X-Men #94 Newsstand.  Because these were from the same lot, I'm speculating that they came from the same source.  The #94 is a double-sized issue and was priced at $2.99, giving us further evidence that the double sized issues likely do not have price variations.  Interestingly enough, the indicia on this book states that the price is $1.99 US and $2.99 Canada (as does my Direct Edition copy).   :facepalm:

In my years of collecting, I've always found the indicias to contain "mostly correct" information.  Outside of issues being printed by multiple companies (shown in the pence threads by @Marwood & I), I've never heard of a variation between indicias of the same issue.  This seems like the last place publishers ever touch, let along attempt to be 100% correct every month.

So of all the details here and in the previous 7 pages, I'm subscribing to and further solidifying three theories:

1)  Newsstand price variations only exist for the titles of Amazing Spider-man, Cable, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor, and X-Men. 
2)  Double sized issues do not have price variations.
3)  There are no indicia variations.

Again, I'm welcome to be proven wrong.

There are definitely variations in the indicia for Fantastic Four 23 and 24. I have newsstand $1.99 copies of those books, and they have $1.99 indicia prices. The $2.49 versions have $2.49 prices in the indicia, as indicated above.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

There are definitely variations in the indicia for Fantastic Four 23 and 24. I have newsstand $1.99 copies of those books, and they have $1.99 indicia prices. The $2.49 versions have $2.49 prices in the indicia, as indicated above.

You are correct.  I guess I should have clarified a little better.  I don't believe there are indicia variations between price variants of single issues.  What I mean is that there are likely only three versions of each of these books.

Do you believe there there $2.49 versions of FF #23 and #24 that have $1.99 indicia prices?  That's what I would be questioning.  Take #24 for example...  With regards to "cover price / indicia US price", I don't think we have both $2.49/$1.99 and $2.49/$2.49 versions of this comic (nor do I think there are some versions that contain the Canadian price and some that don't).

I think  it's likely that all the #23 and #24 issues are $2.49/$2.49, as someone probably realized "we should update the indicia on this book to reflect the cover price".  I'm curious what the $2.29 issues say inside, but I bet that the indicias are all the same across all the $2.29 books.

Again, I don't think there are variants of variants here.  We likely only have three total Newsstand editions, $1.99/$2.29/$2.49.

37 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

You are correct.  I guess I should have clarified a little better.  I don't believe there are indicia variations between price variants of single issues.  What I mean is that there are likely only three versions of each of these books.

Do you believe there there $2.49 versions of FF #23 and #24 that have $1.99 indicia prices?  That's what I would be questioning.  Take #24 for example...  With regards to "cover price / indicia US price", I don't think we have both $2.49/$1.99 and $2.49/$2.49 versions of this comic (nor do I think there are some versions that contain the Canadian price and some that don't).

I think  it's likely that all the #23 and #24 issues are $2.49/$2.49, as someone probably realized "we should update the indicia on this book to reflect the cover price".  I'm curious what the $2.29 issues say inside, but I bet that the indicias are all the same across all the $2.29 books.

Again, I don't think there are variants of variants here.  We likely only have three total Newsstand editions, $1.99/$2.29/$2.49.

We need to find someone with the $2.29 versions of the two FF books (that I know about) and see. That would be quite interesting. What is MOST interesting to me anyway is on the FF 24, there is no Canadian price for the $2.49 version.

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

We need to find someone with the $2.29 versions of the two FF books (that I know about) and see. That would be quite interesting. What is MOST interesting to me anyway is on the FF 24, there is no Canadian price for the $2.49 version.

Agreed.

And I think this does give us some really good information.  Maybe someone finally decided to update the indicia to reflect the actual cover price?  Maybe they realized that the covers on these don't show a Canadian price, therefore the indicia should not indicate one either?  Maybe, if we were to stretch our theories further, this was indeed a test market and the books therefore wouldn't be available in Canada, thus the omission from both the cover and indicia.

1 minute ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Agreed.

And I think this does give us some really good information.  Maybe someone finally decided to update the indicia to reflect the actual cover price?  Maybe they realized that the covers on these don't show a Canadian price, therefore the indicia should not indicate one either?  Maybe, if we were to stretch our theories further, this was indeed a test market and the books therefore wouldn't be available in Canada, thus the omission from both the cover and indicia.

Does anyone actually have the FF 26? By my reckoning, that would be the last one of these to have chronologically come out, and the indicia would be very interesting to look at.

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Does anyone actually have the FF 26? By my reckoning, that would be the last one of these to have chronologically come out, and the indicia would be very interesting to look at.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:52 PM, SammyBComics said:

The indicia for my FF #26 $2.29 Cover says U.S. $1.99 / Canada $2.99

Looks like @SammyBComics already posted the $2.29 cover info earlier on in the thread.  Maybe someone can also post the $2.49 cover.

On 19/01/2018 at 8:43 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have multiple copies of the various X-Men books and this lone Cable #72 ($2.29).  I did some monotonous checking today of each indicia to help contribute to the thread.  Of all the books I have, my suspicions were confirmed.  Every indicia states $1.99 US and $2.99 Canada.

One thing I forgot to mention last time was that I purchased an X-Men #95 price variant which came in the same lot as an X-Men #94 Newsstand.  Because these were from the same lot, I'm speculating that they came from the same source.  The #94 is a double-sized issue and was priced at $2.99, giving us further evidence that the double sized issues likely do not have price variations.  Interestingly enough, the indicia on this book states that the price is $1.99 US and $2.99 Canada (as does my Direct Edition copy).   :facepalm:

In my years of collecting, I've always found the indicias to contain "mostly correct" information.  Outside of issues being printed by multiple companies (shown in the pence threads by @Marwood & I), I've never heard of a variation between indicias of the same issue.  This seems like the last place publishers ever touch, let along attempt to be 100% correct every month.

So of all the details here and in the previous 7 pages, I'm subscribing to and further solidifying three theories:

1)  Newsstand price variations only exist for the titles of Amazing Spider-man, Cable, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor, and X-Men.
3)  There are no indicia variations.

Again, I'm welcome to be proven wrong.

Agreed, with one addition / one clarification as per my own earlier posted view.

3)  There are no indicia variations (i.e. different indicia versions of the same comic).

4) No title has more than four consecutive price variant issues

If true, I make it that there are a maximum of 40 variant issues in existence (6 titles x 8 variants (2 for each of 4 months) less the 8 double sized issues). We have a record of 26 of them here:

14_01_18.thumb.PNG.a2ba7c6cc7f87a53ebdb8bccc328aeb7.PNG

Obviously, if we find an ASM #14 or a FF#22, it all changes. Similarly, a book from a different title. But I don't see it happening, much as I'd like it to. You can never have enough variants!

I've taken this as far as I can now, as my only reference source being in the UK is eBay and my eyes are failing. So it's over to you guys in the US now, to hunt them down online and on foot. Good luck. I'll be watching out of interest only from now on (thumbsu

So now in a couple of months of looking for these stupid things, my two observations are that the $2.29s are much harder to find than the $2.49s, and the easiest to find of all of them is the ASM 11 $2.49.

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

So now in a couple of months of looking for these stupid things, my two observations are that the $2.29s are much harder to find than the $2.49s, and the easiest to find of all of them is the ASM 11 $2.49.

I feel your pain Dan. Of all the variants I've investigated down the years these are easily the hardest to track. It's doubly hard for me, being in the UK, so I'm glad people like you have joined in the hunt. Shame we can't entice RMA to dive in (re your post in another thread). I think he probably has more to add on top of what we've discovered so far. When he posts comic history stuff, you really get the sense he knows what he's talking about so I'd love to get his take on this.

I agree, 2.29's seem harder to find. I wonder how long it will be before something is discovered that breaks the template I put together and the observations / assumptions that went with it. 

Keep looking Dan! :wishluck:

I run searches every morning - what comes up often are the "stock" images from the big sellers (NewKadia, MyComicShop) that show the variant, but then are actually the regular ones.

In the last 30 days on eBay there has been one $2.29 (a Hulk 9) variant for sale, two more $2.29s that were actually $1.99 newsstands erroneously listed with stock images, and eight $2.49s.

Two of the $2.49s were hidden within lots, but none of the 11 books were listed as price variants. No X-Men variants have been for sale on eBay - outside of two that had $2.29 books but were actually $1.99 newsstands - in that time period.

Maybe the '26 confirmed of a theoretical 40' position will never change....

@RockMyAmadeus would you stop  mucking about and come and tell us what you think man! :wishluck: :foryou:

On 16/03/2018 at 8:39 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Maybe the '26 confirmed of a theoretical 40' position will never change....

@RockMyAmadeus would you stop  mucking about and come and tell us what you think man! :wishluck: :foryou:

Flippin Nora, he's a hard 'rock' to crack :bigsmile:

On 06/02/2018 at 10:31 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I run searches every morning - what comes up often are the "stock" images from the big sellers (NewKadia, MyComicShop) that show the variant, but then are actually the regular ones.

In the last 30 days on eBay there has been one $2.29 (a Hulk 9) variant for sale, two more $2.29s that were actually $1.99 newsstands erroneously listed with stock images, and eight $2.49s.

Two of the $2.49s were hidden within lots, but none of the 11 books were listed as price variants. No X-Men variants have been for sale on eBay - outside of two that had $2.29 books but were actually $1.99 newsstands - in that time period.

I've been doing a similar thing for years FD! It's draining isn't it :p

I can't seem to get Rock to join in. Do you think he's sitting on a pile of them and biding his time or something? Maybe if I do an Andy Dufresne on him and invite him to the thread twice a day until he submits and sends us a ton of library books gives us his views. What do you think? hm

@RockMyAmadeus :baiting:

:grin:

On 1/19/2018 at 2:07 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Right - I'm looking for the $2.49 one. 

Here's the $2.49 price variant. Has $1.99/$2.99 indicia. Came from Jamestown, New York, with a $2.49 23 and 24 - I'm thinking somewhere in upstate New York was the test market. These books were the first price variants I've seen on eBay since February 9.

fantasticfour026.jpeg

12 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Here's the $2.49 price variant. Has $1.99/$2.99 indicia. Came from Jamestown, New York, with a $2.49 23 and 24 - I'm thinking somewhere in upstate New York was the test market. These books were the first price variants I've seen on eBay since February 9.

fantasticfour026.jpeg

Would you be able to post a scan of the indicia please FD, so I can do one of these for it:

24.PNG.f4432f5cf59ec32ef3eb9bba73819155.PNG